Business Rates?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
Our weekdays are normally slower. We are thinking about offering a streamlined version of our weekend package and offering it as a "Business Rate". We are thinking a continental or no breakfast for a substantial discount and even more of a discount if the stay is two or more days. We're thinking heads in beds with a minimum of work.
Do any of you do anything special in the way of discounts for business travelers? Do you modify your level of service for them?

Would your deal only be for business travelers or anyone? Someone on here (Don Draper, I think) is doing something like what you are suggesting, but not just for biz people). No breakfast, lower rate.
Our biz people seem to get a higher level of service because we cater to their need to be on the road early, their need to check-in late and their need to sometimes cancel day of arrival. I don't charge them less. Here's the deal for me- right now it is slow. But, if they like it here, they are going to want to come in peak season, too, because business travelers come here year round. They may want to have breakfast. I am not going to say, in the dining room in the morning, 'Sorry, you got the 'no breakfast' rate so you can't eat here.'
That's why the business people get the same deal anyone else gets. Because they come back in peak season. If you are very careful that anyone you let in on the super deal knows this is a 'at your pleasure' deal and they don't expect it at any other time, it may be a good deal for you.
You don't want it to come back and haunt you when you're really busy and someone 'forgets' what they got was an off-season, one-time deal. (It's something no one remembers. They only remember the price, not the specifics.)

My biz rate is the same as my bereavement rate - $15 off reg rate on shared bath guestroom (full-size bed) and that is the room they get. Full breakfast.

Single business traveller rate is $20 to $30 off lowest couple rate: weekdays summer, every day in winter, not all rooms. Still can't match federal per diem. Definitely same food service - good, simple breakfast appreciated, similar labor as couple, half the food cost. Pamper a little and they come back for a weekend with spouse. Not a big market, but every little bit ... Wouldn't cut the level of service, that is what we are.

We offered a discounted rate, Sun-Thurs for a single biz traveler. No reduction in any amenities. Plus, they had flexible cancellation (which was rarely, if ever used) and we worked with them on check-in times.
They were some of my easiest guests and made up quite a high percentage of my business. but we are in an urban setting.
The same options might not work for you.

It depends but in some ways you would be better building a good relationship with local businesses who may need accommodation we work with a local computer company who has their people who mainly work remotely stay with us when they come into the office. We do them a special local business rate (ie same rate all year round) If i get anyone from a local business finds us by accident I offer them a discount if they always book with us direct which is usually the same as the commission so costs me nothing.

We don't get any business travelers here. I did offer the $99/night rate with no breakfast. We loved it, because it was so much less work, and the people who booked it really liked it, but unfortunately we didnt' get many takers. People want their breakfast, evidently.

Back