But why can't I just move my reservation?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For any newbies or aspiring I hope you read what Innsider wrote - that is an old trick they will try to get out of a cancellation fee. We have had them do that here and I had moved them since it was not a booked time period, then they cancel WITHIN the cancellation period. BEWARE!.
Then make them aware if they try that they won't get their deposit back.
As for a hotel, many you can cancel up to 24 hours before you arrive.
And Innsider, I hate to say it but it's not her job to keep you happy, it's yours to keep her happy.
Mr.Design said:
And Innsider, I hate to say it but it's not her job to keep you happy, it's yours to keep her happy.
Hotels will do 7 days because they have so many rooms it does not matter. B&Bs are different as they don't.
Yes, it is our job to keep them happy. But the guest made a contract for a room for a certain date and understood the cancellation. She broke the contract and it's not our job to "make her happy" but to collect the cancellation fee.
If not, the guest will think that all B&Bs can be treated this way.
Riki

For any newbies or aspiring I hope you read what Innsider wrote - that is an old trick they will try to get out of a cancellation fee. We have had them do that here and I had moved them since it was not a booked time period, then they cancel WITHIN the cancellation period. BEWARE!.
Mr.Design said:
What about this, just tossing this into the mix, what about issuing a GC for the entire stay and letting her pick the next date she wants to book using the GC (our GC's say same policies apply so there is no funny business). You take her money, she has a gc for any time in the future.
Agreed about the hotel, this is why so many book hotels over BnB's, I do it if I am on the road, they allow cancellation up to 4pm ON THE DAY for the most part. Unless you book a hotels.com or something where they charge in full so you can get the discount, and NO cancellation period at all.
Joe Bloggs said:
What about this, just tossing this into the mix, what about issuing a GC for the entire stay and letting her pick the next date she wants to book using the GC (our GC's say same policies apply so there is no funny business). You take her money, she has a gc for any time in the future.
The problem is she'll do it again with the GC.She'll book and change. Does not solve the problem.
Riki
egoodell said:
Joe Bloggs said:
The problem is she'll do it again with the GC.She'll book and change. Does not solve the problem.
Riki
We did have one guest who repeatedly cancelled her rez and then insisted she had never booked here when she called to make another rez! The 3rd time we told her there was a deposit required and she showed up for that one. Luck of the draw, or deposits really work, I don't know!

Mr.Design said:
Agreed about the hotel, this is why so many book hotels over BnB's, I do it if I am on the road, they allow cancellation up to 4pm ON THE DAY for the most part. Unless you book a hotels.com or something where they charge in full so you can get the discount, and NO cancellation period at all.
Joe Bloggs said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Riki
You have the payment in full, that is the diff. Make the GC non refundable and stipulate when she can use it (this is being nice to her instead of just charging it and then she is SOL). YOU make the policies for you bookings, if you do a GC in lieu of a cancellation fee, make it midweek only, etc.

Mr.Design said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Riki
You have the payment in full, that is the diff. Make the GC non refundable and stipulate when she can use it (this is being nice to her instead of just charging it and then she is SOL). YOU make the policies for you bookings, if you do a GC in lieu of a cancellation fee, make it midweek only, etc.
No, what our guests do is book the GC and not come- cancel at the last minute - so yes you have payment for that time, but then they want to use the GC to book another date. Same problem again. Unless you make them mail in the GC as payment. Which they usually won't do.
Riki

Mr.Design said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Riki
No, what our guests do is book the GC and not come- cancel at the last minute - so yes you have payment for that time, but then they want to use the GC to book another date. Same problem again. Unless you make them mail in the GC as payment. Which they usually won't do.
Riki
Are you saying that a guest who purchased a GC or received it as a gift is reneging on the date they booked or that if you give a GC for a future date because of a cancellation that the guest then cancels a second or third time while still holding onto the GC you handed out for the first cancellation?
Sorry, that was a long, involved sentence!
If someone books here with a GC they received as a gift and they cancel last minute they have the option of having the room charge on their own cc and keeping the GC for another time or relinquishing the GC. Not that I ask them to mail it in, I just mark it as 'used toward cancellation fee' on my copy and email the guest what I have done.
Now, if the guest is using a GC they received from me for a deposit for a cancellation that occurred prior to the new date, I'd just revoke the GC as payment for the 2nd cancellation. Like someone said, you're making the rules at that point.

I'm with Innsider on this one. I don't issue a gift certificate. More than likely, the date they would come to redeem their certificate I could have filled by a paying guest. I do make some exceptions if the person cancelling is a repeat guest, but I will then dictate to them the month/midweek time frame they can book. Off season only.

Mr.Design said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Riki
Riki
Are you saying that a guest who purchased a GC or received it as a gift is reneging on the date they booked or that if you give a GC for a future date because of a cancellation that the guest then cancels a second or third time while still holding onto the GC you handed out for the first cancellation?
If someone books here with a GC they received as a gift and they cancel last minute they have the option of having the room charge on their own cc and keeping the GC for another time or relinquishing the GC. Not that I ask them to mail it in, I just mark it as 'used toward cancellation fee' on my copy and email the guest what I have done.
Now, if the guest is using a GC they received from me for a deposit for a cancellation that occurred prior to the new date, I'd just revoke the GC as payment for the 2nd cancellation. Like someone said, you're making the rules at that point.
I have not actually had any problems with gift certificates.
I'm just saying they can call and ask to "change the date" again if you give them a gift certificate to solve the initial "change the date" request instead of charging the deposit per your cancellation policy. It worked before, should work again, they figure
By giving people who won't try to understand the cancellation policy an "out" with a gift certificate you are caving in to their request that they are not subject to the cancellation policy.
RIki

Mr.Design said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Riki
Riki
I have not actually had any problems with gift certificates.
I'm just saying they can call and ask to "change the date" again if you give them a gift certificate to solve the initial "change the date" request instead of charging the deposit per your cancellation policy. It worked before, should work again, they figure
By giving people who won't try to understand the cancellation policy an "out" with a gift certificate you are caving in to their request that they are not subject to the cancellation policy.
RIki
Then make it clear to them that it's a one time use, pick the dates, no changes, either you come or you're out of luck.
I don't think you're "caving to their request," either... I think it's called being hospitable.

i did allow moving of reservations ... we had people who would sail up the coast and would get fogged in or it would be dangerous for small craft. i had a 14 day cancellation policy, but i was flexible if i thought the request was reasonable. however, i did explain that i couldn't move their reservation again after the first change.
i'm not sure i mentioned it on this forum or not. i had a guest who explained to me her job with a large hotel chain was to 'walk' the overbooked people to another hotel. their reservation system was based on mathematical formulas and they would be told how many rooms they could book based on the statistical probability of so many not showing up. so, when more guests showed up for rooms than they had, which happened a lot, she had to find accomodations and bring those guests to the other hotels. i cannot imagine having that job. always dealing with unhappy people deliberately overbooked. by the way, she was no longer doing that job when i met her. said the stress level was off the charts!
anyway, 'hotel people' accustomed to this, have to learn about b&b's ... 4, 6 8, 10 rooms and just that many reservations taken.

My cancellation policy includes changes.....i.e. 'cancellations and any changes must be made by.....' I can not remember how long ago I did this but it was do to someone wanting to move their reservation during a peak weekend.
Since reading many postings here, I did start awarding GC to those that had to cancel within the cancelation period. I did that to ease the 'no refund' of the deposit issue. I do not state this on my policies because I think it would only work into more changes and I can be discretionary if someone is irate, I would really not want them staying with me at any time if they are ugly.
The GC contains the following: is only good for 6 months, Sundays-Thurs. no holidays or events. Once the reservation is made using the GC# the certificate used as their deposit and considered VOID from then. In other words, I try to keep them happy but am not going to give them the world....they made the reservation and agreed to the terms.
This is just another reason to say thanks to the posters here...it is with the wide set of opinions here, I can develop my own mix that works for me....
teeth_smile.gif

My cancellation policy includes changes.....i.e. 'cancellations and any changes must be made by.....' I can not remember how long ago I did this but it was do to someone wanting to move their reservation during a peak weekend.
Since reading many postings here, I did start awarding GC to those that had to cancel within the cancelation period. I did that to ease the 'no refund' of the deposit issue. I do not state this on my policies because I think it would only work into more changes and I can be discretionary if someone is irate, I would really not want them staying with me at any time if they are ugly.
The GC contains the following: is only good for 6 months, Sundays-Thurs. no holidays or events. Once the reservation is made using the GC# the certificate used as their deposit and considered VOID from then. In other words, I try to keep them happy but am not going to give them the world....they made the reservation and agreed to the terms.
This is just another reason to say thanks to the posters here...it is with the wide set of opinions here, I can develop my own mix that works for me....
teeth_smile.gif
I like the way you state that...'cancellations and changes...'

If you're confident you'll rebook why not just move her deposit and reservation to the September date which would keep her happy. Then if/when you get a booking for this weekend not only will you still have the room sold but you'll also have her for September. The thing is yes, you'll have the deposit now if nobody books, but if chances are she's not going to come in September because you ticked her off then you just lost the rest of the reservation..
Exactly what Junie said below...our reservations are NOT open-ended. When you make a reservation with us you are basically signing a contract...we agree not to accept another booking for the room you chose, and you agree to come on your selected dates. We do not oversell rooms like hotels do.
I am confident that we will re-sell, but nothing is 100%. Honestly, on further reflection I guess I'm not all that worried about "keeping her happy"...she certainly wasn't worried about keeping me happy! If we resell I will give her the option to move her full deposit, or receive a refund less the $25 processing fee. We've just found that if they try this once and you give them any kind of wiggle room, they'll try it (or something worse) again.
InnsiderInfo said:
Exactly what Junie said below...our reservations are NOT open-ended. When you make a reservation with us you are basically signing a contract...we agree not to accept another booking for the room you chose, and you agree to come on your selected dates. We do not oversell rooms like hotels do.
I am confident that we will re-sell, but nothing is 100%. Honestly, on further reflection I guess I'm not all that worried about "keeping her happy"...she certainly wasn't worried about keeping me happy! If we resell I will give her the option to move her full deposit, or receive a refund less the $25 processing fee. We've just found that if they try this once and you give them any kind of wiggle room, they'll try it (or something worse) again.
I think something some of us lose sight of is that we are part of an industry and that we all should assume a certain level of "educational" responsibility in order to help other innkeepers regardless of where they are located.
Here, we never lose sight of the fact that travelers move around and the few times we've overlooked a major policy transgression or caved in too quickly for an overly demanding guest, we were potentially setting up a colleague somewhere else to have to deal with this same person trying to pull the same stuff on them.
It doesn't seem to matter what policy issues we're discussing here, you seem to always project a vote for consistent applciation of the rules and policies.
Thanks.

If you're confident you'll rebook why not just move her deposit and reservation to the September date which would keep her happy. Then if/when you get a booking for this weekend not only will you still have the room sold but you'll also have her for September. The thing is yes, you'll have the deposit now if nobody books, but if chances are she's not going to come in September because you ticked her off then you just lost the rest of the reservation..
InnsiderInfo said:
I think something some of us lose sight of is that we are part of an industry and that we all should assume a certain level of "educational" responsibility in order to help other innkeepers regardless of where they are located.
Here, we never lose sight of the fact that travelers move around and the few times we've overlooked a major policy transgression or caved in too quickly for an overly demanding guest, we were potentially setting up a colleague somewhere else to have to deal with this same person trying to pull the same stuff on them.
It doesn't seem to matter what policy issues we're discussing here, you seem to always project a vote for consistent applciation of the rules and policies.
Thanks.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Thanks.
I agree totally. I had some stockbroker (definately pre recession!) book and the secretary asked what the cancellation policy was when she booked with DH so I knew that would be a problem. So of course when I sent them my customary welcome - here are directions if you need them" email she emailed me back and said they thought they had cancelled, there had been some problem with their email....etc. (I state cancellations must be phoned in) and I told her "sorry, no, I'll try to rebook but it's Wed for a Fri /Sat booking. Charged the deposit before I called, too.
He was booking several places and deciding later where to stay. And we wonder how the economy got to where it is!
He did not contest.
I was not going to back down. I don't know if he learned anything from it. I'm hoping maybe something sunk in to him but doubt it.
My point is, if they keep getting gift certificates etc. they will keep doing it. Every situation is different, but if I can possibly do it, I stick to my guns.
RIki
RIki

teeth_smile.gif
I like the way you state that...'cancellations and changes...'
Me, too! I think that change will be made on our website today. Thanks Copperhead!

InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Thanks.
I agree totally. I had some stockbroker (definately pre recession!) book and the secretary asked what the cancellation policy was when she booked with DH so I knew that would be a problem. So of course when I sent them my customary welcome - here are directions if you need them" email she emailed me back and said they thought they had cancelled, there had been some problem with their email....etc. (I state cancellations must be phoned in) and I told her "sorry, no, I'll try to rebook but it's Wed for a Fri /Sat booking. Charged the deposit before I called, too.
He was booking several places and deciding later where to stay. And we wonder how the economy got to where it is!
He did not contest.
I was not going to back down. I don't know if he learned anything from it. I'm hoping maybe something sunk in to him but doubt it.
My point is, if they keep getting gift certificates etc. they will keep doing it. Every situation is different, but if I can possibly do it, I stick to my guns.
RIki
RIki
Whoa, wait a minute. It is starting to sound as if the GC that will be received is free - it is NOT. IF a GC is issued (and I am not advocating for them) it is because the cancelled room was CHARGED TO THE CC. Yes, in essence the next rez will be free because there will not be a fee for that night, but that is only if it is used. How often does that happen. If the GC is just for the amount of the cancel fee, the guest then pays the rest of the charges for the new rez. If the new rez gets canceled, the GC is void.

InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Thanks.
He did not contest.
RIki
RIki
Whoa, wait a minute. It is starting to sound as if the GC that will be received is free - it is NOT. IF a GC is issued (and I am not advocating for them) it is because the cancelled room was CHARGED TO THE CC. Yes, in essence the next rez will be free because there will not be a fee for that night, but that is only if it is used. How often does that happen. If the GC is just for the amount of the cancel fee, the guest then pays the rest of the charges for the new rez. If the new rez gets canceled, the GC is void.
gillumhouse said:
Yes I know the GC is not free in essence. But my point is, when you give the GC instead of just charging the deposit per your policy, there is nothing to stop them from doing it again, just using the GC now. I have had people re-book wine tours up to three times without giving ample time for me to rebook.
It does not affect me so much in the wine tours as they are usually Saturdays which I can always fill. But I think as we are getting busier I will start to enforce them mailing in the GC. This will make it more obvious to them that they are SPENDING it. If they still have it in their possession they don't feel like they have really spent it if I told them they used it up by cancelling too late.
Riki

InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Thanks.
He did not contest.
RIki
RIki
gillumhouse said:
Yes I know the GC is not free in essence. But my point is, when you give the GC instead of just charging the deposit per your policy, there is nothing to stop them from doing it again, just using the GC now. I have had people re-book wine tours up to three times without giving ample time for me to rebook.
It does not affect me so much in the wine tours as they are usually Saturdays which I can always fill. But I think as we are getting busier I will start to enforce them mailing in the GC. This will make it more obvious to them that they are SPENDING it. If they still have it in their possession they don't feel like they have really spent it if I told them they used it up by cancelling too late.
Riki
But I think as we are getting busier I will start to enforce them mailing in the GC. This will make it more obvious to them that they are SPENDING it.
Now that makes sense. When the reservation is made using the GC, it is not confirmed until the GC is received in the mail. Now they no longer have it so if the y cancel - poof! gone!

InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Thanks.
He did not contest.
RIki
RIki
I agree GH it is not free and because I do not advertise that they will get a GC, they usually are gracious in receiving it. Since I do not get many cancellations within this time frame (stopped to knock on wood), I do not give out many GC and of those few only one has used it to rebook. They booked a 3 night stay, the original was only one, so in this case it worked out to my benefit all around.
Again the GC is given out only if I feel like doing so, so if I feel someone is telling a BIG one to try to get me refund, that person is clearly SOL in my book.

teeth_smile.gif
Ditto, I like that too. My policy on the web and in confirmations states: "An advance 7-day notice is required to cancel, change your dates or shorten your stay. All deposit refunds are subject to a $10.00 processing fee or can be issued as a gift certificate".

Wir bieten schöne inoffizielle brautkleider, Knielange Brautkleider zu günstige Preisen online. Custom kleider design nach dem Foto. So einfach finden Sie Ihr Traum Brautkleid.. "Die Leute sind wirklich von Federn eingeschüchtert ... aber sie können ein wirklich großartiges Werkzeug sein."
Behandle sie wie Pailletten, designer abendkleid designer abendkleid brautkleid für strand sagt sie, ballkleider cocktailkleider brautmode brautkleider brautmode brautkleider die Sie jetzt auf so vielen T-Shirts als Abendkleider finden kannst.
Als er Crafting eine Feder Stück, sagt Khan benutzt er sie, als ob sie tatsächlich waren Pailletten oder anderen Verzierungen wie Kristalle oder Perlen. Sie sind in der gleichen Preisklasse online shopping online shopping, auch.
Auf technischer Ebene, kleider zum abschlussball sie sind nicht mehr schwer, mit brautkleider brautmoden , sagt er kurze brautkleider brautkleider brautmode abendmode brautmutter abendmode brautmutter, obwohl nicht überraschend, benötigen Sie eine leichte Berührung zu arbeiten.

schöne brautkleider

Back