Buy Local campaign

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
I am seeing a lot of people discussing how to "Buy Local" this holiday season. A B&B gift certicate really does do this for them. I am hoping to shout this out a bit.
PS I got this idea from the other thread but thought it needed its own as we are now in the holiday season.

"Give the gift of jobs and prosperity this Holiday Season, Buy Local." Any opion on this? Too wordy? Too much? Was thinking of getting a facebook campaign in my area going as we have lots of great facebook pages for the local businesses. The chamber of commerce is on board so thought maybe small window signs also.
"Give the gift of jobs and prosperity, Buy Local this Holiday Season."
The second one is better for caps spacing.

Here is my tweet from today:
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]Wake up some place special... buy local...get a B&B gift certificate this year! Give an experience, not "stuff" it's a great idea![/COLOR]

Think (name of your town) First.
Arkansawyer said:
Think (name of your town) First
Not sure i want to do that in that a facebook idea could grow. I live in two cites and my B&B is in a third so what is local for me? I was thinking maybe the US is local for my B&B... yeah think big ahahahhah

I created a coupon book of discounts of get something free for the merchants in town. The City prints them up (I made them 3-up on a regular sheet of paper) and puts them in the Welcome to Shinnston packet they give to new water customers - first thing new residents do is get the water turned on. It is designed to get people in the shops. I also print them here for my guests to the shops they may visit (no plumbing shop or barber). The Economic Development Authority has paid for a series of commercials to help our business district of small shops titled Shop Shinnston. It will take a while to see if this helps, but it is a start.

I created a coupon book of discounts of get something free for the merchants in town. The City prints them up (I made them 3-up on a regular sheet of paper) and puts them in the Welcome to Shinnston packet they give to new water customers - first thing new residents do is get the water turned on. It is designed to get people in the shops. I also print them here for my guests to the shops they may visit (no plumbing shop or barber). The Economic Development Authority has paid for a series of commercials to help our business district of small shops titled Shop Shinnston. It will take a while to see if this helps, but it is a start..
You shared this with me before. I think it is a great idea! Even if they don't use it, the information of what stores and services are close by will stick.

The local merchants in my small town created a town-wide motto: "We've laid off gloom and doom in <my town>. When shopping in <my town> you will be served by smiling people who are proud of their work and are proud to be part of our wonderful community."
Each store in town has this prominently displayed in the front window and a smaller version within their store.

I just went to the Sha bby Ch ic Sisters - a shop owned by 5 sisters who collected things all their lives - and besides being able to give the commerial for the B & B, bought a really bright and pretty patchwork vest made by one of the sisters as a Christmas present for a friend. I saw a lady on the street and she said it was her first time here - she lives about 25 miles away. VERY nice!!

I just went to the Sha bby Ch ic Sisters - a shop owned by 5 sisters who collected things all their lives - and besides being able to give the commerial for the B & B, bought a really bright and pretty patchwork vest made by one of the sisters as a Christmas present for a friend. I saw a lady on the street and she said it was her first time here - she lives about 25 miles away. VERY nice!!.
K who was it on this forum (or the about.com) who had made the innkeeper patchwork apron-like uniform for innkeepers? (It was just for her but I felt it was a great innkeeper uniform) I really loved that, I forgot who shared that with us yonks ago. Big pockets, handy apron-smock thingy, very colorful.

I just went to the Sha bby Ch ic Sisters - a shop owned by 5 sisters who collected things all their lives - and besides being able to give the commerial for the B & B, bought a really bright and pretty patchwork vest made by one of the sisters as a Christmas present for a friend. I saw a lady on the street and she said it was her first time here - she lives about 25 miles away. VERY nice!!.
K who was it on this forum (or the about.com) who had made the innkeeper patchwork apron-like uniform for innkeepers? (It was just for her but I felt it was a great innkeeper uniform) I really loved that, I forgot who shared that with us yonks ago. Big pockets, handy apron-smock thingy, very colorful.
Joey Bloggs said:
Of that person ever comes back around-- I'll buy one!!! Love my aprons :)

I am sorry, I really do not remember. But I will tell Charlene and I bet she will make one.

http://www.the350project.net/locals_love_you_more_home.html
LLYM_Lg_icon_250.jpg

For the second year, our Development Authority has paid for radio/TV ads titled Shop Shinnston. We have told the business community that from here on, it is up to them to handle this. The City (and its Boards) can only do so much. It is the responsibility of the businesses to organize and share the ad costs - the City has done its part in helping them get started. Unfortunately when these ads or articles (we were featured in a Foundation annual report that mentioned businesses) are done, the B & B that helped getthe City started on branding and tourism is rarely (if ever) mentioned. That is starting to rankle to the point of me thinking about mentioning it.
The only shopping I have done so far out of town, is a CD by a harper in Keene, NH that I found out about in a newsletter from a Keene B & B. 100% of the funds go to the whatever organization that is helping get the area back on its feet after the Irene flooding.

Our chamber of commerce has Chamber Dollars. Great idea but sort of amazed that this is the first I had heard of it.

So I saw another buy local newsletter and clicked on it (in a nearby city) and what do you know a hallmark store where everything is made in china. I had to pause. I had to think. Is this what buying local means? I know it is a family owned business, but everything in the blinkin' store is made in china.

So I saw another buy local newsletter and clicked on it (in a nearby city) and what do you know a hallmark store where everything is made in china. I had to pause. I had to think. Is this what buying local means? I know it is a family owned business, but everything in the blinkin' store is made in china..
Unfortunately, buying local is a completely different thing than "Buy American" Buy local just means supporting local businesses no matter where their products come from. But for me...I will say to them, I am not buying this because it in not made in America. I dont' need more China junk. Most of my gifts this year are handmade by me or by the Holy Cross Monastery in Berryville VA. Check them out...their stuff is so yummy!

There was discussion on Facebook amongst my friends about Target and Best Buy being local so do they count. It is a relative thing. If you are buying a knick knack from a local store that was made in China isn't that better then buying the same thing at Walmart? A little bit right? The profit stays in town.
My whole problem is I am a huge free market person. I do not think paying more for ineffiency is that smart. If the knick knack is 10% cheaper at Walmart, and I can 50 other things to get my day done faster... Hard to fight that.

Back