buying an Inn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vkblondie

Reaction score
I am hoping to buy a B & B up in New England in the next 10-12 months. I have been doing a lot of reading etc.
I know I do not want anything big, just small like 5-7 rooms, but are there grants out there for new Inn Keepers? any suggestions? I probably will have about $80,000 of my own money but I am sure i will need more than that.

Now I'm not in New England so I'm not familiar with the market, but I think you'd be surprised. There are several creative options for financing if you have a motivated seller. The seller could owner finance part of the mortgage which reduces the amount needed from the bank, hence reducing the required down payment. You can finance through the Small Business Association.
We only needed $41,000 for ours.

Yes, there are grants out there for B&Bs. I found out about it through Eliot at The B&B Team's Seminar. I would contact The B&B Team. They have a bunch for sale in New England right now especially Maine. I would check with regular realtors in your targeted area as well. Just go on their websites and put in 4 bedrooms and 4 baths and everything but B&Bs and estates will disappear from your search.

I am selling my property in Pomfret, CT I think might work for you.
The main Colonial style house has 7 bedrooms, 6.5 baths and there is also a charming 1 bedroom owner's/rental cottage.
See all the information about the property and area on the selling website at: https://ctproperty.yolasite.com/

Did you get a chance to see my B&B/vacation rental/events venue in Connecticut? 7 bedrooms, 6.5 baths, 1 bedroom cottage, 2 additional lots, zoned for horses, gardens, 6.1 acres. Zoning for family estate, small farm, winery, vacation rental, bed & breakfast, wellness retreat, offices and/or retail. Fabulous location near Boston, Hartford, Newport, New York.
Selling price at $795,000, residential or commercial financing, 0-20% down, I may carry 10% for qualified buyers.
See all the information about the property and area on the selling website at: https://ctproperty.yolasite.com/

Our Inn/B&B is 5 rooms, nice OQ, water view and located in a well know national park destination area in New England. 6 months on/6 months off or can operate year round if one chooses. c l a r k p o i n t i n n

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/109-Clark-Point-Rd-Southwest-Harbor-ME-04679/91845814_zpid/?mmlb=g,0

Our Inn/B&B is 5 rooms, nice OQ, water view and located in a well know national park destination area in New England. 6 months on/6 months off or can operate year round if one chooses. c l a r k p o i n t i n n.
DaisyMae said:
Our Inn/B&B is 5 rooms, nice OQ, water view and located in a well know national park destination area in New England. 6 months on/6 months off or can operate year round if one chooses. c l a r k p o i n t i n n
Beautiful inn. Beautiful location! Good luck with the sale!

Yes, there are grants out there for B&Bs. I found out about it through Eliot at The B&B Team's Seminar. I would contact The B&B Team. They have a bunch for sale in New England right now especially Maine. I would check with regular realtors in your targeted area as well. Just go on their websites and put in 4 bedrooms and 4 baths and everything but B&Bs and estates will disappear from your search..
There are grants for b&b's, I didn't know that. Can you explain further like where to look? Thanks.

Our Inn/B&B is 5 rooms, nice OQ, water view and located in a well know national park destination area in New England. 6 months on/6 months off or can operate year round if one chooses. c l a r k p o i n t i n n.
We are heading up your way in the fall for a vacation. You have a lovely location! Good luck with the sale.

Greetings;
I am new to all of this, but curious to hear any feedback others might contribute.
I recently purchased a large home in a national historic neighborhood in the Milwaukee area and the home is zoned for this. The house has to be gutted and there is probably two years of work to do , but want to turn hit into a b and b and am writing to hear from other owners what they would do if they were in my shoes. Questions about adding an elevator to second floor for instance, or kitchen and bath designs, storage, linen closets, laundry chutes.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Greetings;
I am new to all of this, but curious to hear any feedback others might contribute.
I recently purchased a large home in a national historic neighborhood in the Milwaukee area and the home is zoned for this. The house has to be gutted and there is probably two years of work to do , but want to turn hit into a b and b and am writing to hear from other owners what they would do if they were in my shoes. Questions about adding an elevator to second floor for instance, or kitchen and bath designs, storage, linen closets, laundry chutes.
Thanks in advance for any input..
Elevator if you can manage it.
Sprinkler system.
Bathroom on main floor near main entry. ("I know we're early, can we use a bathroom?") Laundry nearest majority of guest rooms.
Lockable kitchen.

Greetings;
An elevator will be expensive, but would make you ADA and if you are older, your knees will bless you.
Storage is important and never enough. Ensuite bathroom for every room. If gutted, you will be required to install sprinklers. Kitchen - counter space and cabinets (never enough) - check requirements (IN WRITING) if commercial kitchen required. Laundry room (chute is a nice) needs washers/driers commeasurate with the demand of the number of rooms. Linen closet on the same floor as guest rooms - locks on everything. Owners Quarters large enough and comfortable enough for YOU to relax in. MANY OUTLETS in every room. Bathrooms - grab bars, also a grab bar to steady getting out of the shower.
I have an old house and have to "make do" with what I have but when I created an ensuite I made it large and left the original bathroom large and shared, replacing the claw-foot tub (moved to the ensuite) with a 60-inch shower. I will leave it to others to mention things that did not occur to me.

Greetings;
An elevator will be expensive, but would make you ADA and if you are older, your knees will bless you.
Storage is important and never enough. Ensuite bathroom for every room. If gutted, you will be required to install sprinklers. Kitchen - counter space and cabinets (never enough) - check requirements (IN WRITING) if commercial kitchen required. Laundry room (chute is a nice) needs washers/driers commeasurate with the demand of the number of rooms. Linen closet on the same floor as guest rooms - locks on everything. Owners Quarters large enough and comfortable enough for YOU to relax in. MANY OUTLETS in every room. Bathrooms - grab bars, also a grab bar to steady getting out of the shower.
I have an old house and have to "make do" with what I have but when I created an ensuite I made it large and left the original bathroom large and shared, replacing the claw-foot tub (moved to the ensuite) with a 60-inch shower. I will leave it to others to mention things that did not occur to me.
gillumhouse said:
Just curious. Has anybody considered putting in one of those "chairlifts" as a more affordable alternative to an elevator? Since the footrest, seat and arms fold up, it doesn't look like it takes up nearly as much space as you'd think.
chairlift.jpg

Greetings;
gillumhouse said:
Just curious. Has anybody considered putting in one of those "chairlifts" as a more affordable alternative to an elevator? Since the footrest, seat and arms fold up, it doesn't look like it takes up nearly as much space as you'd think.
chairlift.jpg

I considered that early on while we still had a few dollars - my stairs are too narrow, A "wide-load" guest with suitcase almost scrapes the wall.

Greetings;
I just called a chair lift company to actually ASK. My stairs are 34 inches wide, wall to railing post. The slimmest chair lift will need about 13 inches (max) for the folded up unit and have a max load limit of 310 lbs. Mobility challenged (to be politically correct) are usually wider load. So, we have determined take I was correct, my stairs are not wide enough. Sigh (my knees would love it).

Greetings;
I just called a chair lift company to actually ASK. My stairs are 34 inches wide, wall to railing post. The slimmest chair lift will need about 13 inches (max) for the folded up unit and have a max load limit of 310 lbs. Mobility challenged (to be politically correct) are usually wider load. So, we have determined take I was correct, my stairs are not wide enough. Sigh (my knees would love it).
Stairs in picture Arks posted look maybe 36 - 39 not all that much wider, if this is something you would really enjoy take a hard look at the floor arrangement around your stairwell, would it be possible for the chair lift track to curve a bit at the top/bottom and in doing so place the actual chair out of the actual stairway and provide the needed space?

Greetings;
Stairs in picture Arks posted look maybe 36 - 39 not all that much wider, if this is something you would really enjoy take a hard look at the floor arrangement around your stairwell, would it be possible for the chair lift track to curve a bit at the top/bottom and in doing so place the actual chair out of the actual stairway and provide the needed space?
JimBoone said:
...would it be possible for the chair lift track to curve a bit at the top/bottom and in doing so place the actual chair out of the actual stairway and provide the needed space?
Good thought. They have ways to "park" the chair out of the way when not in use.

Back