Buying flowers for a guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megan

Reaction score
A guest who is arriving tomorrow has aksed me to buy roses for his anniversary. He said he will reimburse me but to keep the price "cost effective". He did not give me a budget. I tried to get a budget amount out of him or refer him to call the florist on his own but he just danced around it. Reading here I have seen where some live close to places where they can get good flowers for $10. Not around here. The florist said it would be $38.50 for 11 red roses. He didn't want a vase, just some greens in the mix. How should I display them? On the bed? On the dresser? The price is already added to his bill so no getting around that at checkin. Is $38.50 cost effective in your minds? I was thinking they'd be around $100 so it seemed fine to me.

aren't roses the most expensive flower of the traditional kind? and he asked for roses. if that's the best price you found, then that's it. i can't get flowers inexpensive around here at all.
roses on the bed, soooo romantic. sideways. are they coming in a box? i'd set them up in open box so you can have them peeking out. a bow around them if it comes with it or if you have ribbon. put them there just before check in.

Do you have a Costco or a Sam's? Go there and get a dozen roses. Don't know what their price is right now..but used to be under $15 for a dozen.

Do you have a Costco or a Sam's? Go there and get a dozen roses. Don't know what their price is right now..but used to be under $15 for a dozen..
Nothing like that less htan an hour away. I just picked them up locally and they are beautiful. She has several weddings this weekend and she had some really good stock in. They are a bit too long for the refrigerator so I hope they don't bend. It's too hot to put them in the room now. Should I mae the card out for him do you think? What should I he say?

Do you have a Costco or a Sam's? Go there and get a dozen roses. Don't know what their price is right now..but used to be under $15 for a dozen..
Nothing like that less htan an hour away. I just picked them up locally and they are beautiful. She has several weddings this weekend and she had some really good stock in. They are a bit too long for the refrigerator so I hope they don't bend. It's too hot to put them in the room now. Should I mae the card out for him do you think? What should I he say?
I wouldn't make out the card. If you have an opportunity to slip the card to him without his other half seeing it, then you could do that. Make sure that you charge him for your time to order & pick them up! A florist would charge a delivery fee.

I wouldn't make out the card. If you have an opportunity to slip the card to him without his other half seeing it, then you could do that. Make sure that you charge him for your time to order & pick them up! A florist would charge a delivery fee.
Delivery fee. I should have had her add that in so it was on the receipt. Next time. The problem is I like getting out for a short walk in the afternoon and chatting with everyone in town so I forget that someone should be paying for my time. They will probably come in together so no chance to get the card to him before she sees the flowers.

Delivery fee. I should have had her add that in so it was on the receipt. Next time. The problem is I like getting out for a short walk in the afternoon and chatting with everyone in town so I forget that someone should be paying for my time. They will probably come in together so no chance to get the card to him before she sees the flowers.
I've never charged a delivery fee either unless the florist charges me. Something I need to think about, too. Hope she likes them!

See...B&B innkeepers are just too nice
regular_smile.gif

You should of course charge for you time. I know you don't have Costco but I got flowers for $15 and add some babies breath. I had to put them in a vase so I charged for all that. I charged him $55 which was not all that high if they had come from the Flower Shop they would have been more. They looked great and he was very happy. I am like you I really like to know how much they wish to spent. I think men are ok as long as it is not over the top.
sandynn

You should of course charge for you time. I know you don't have Costco but I got flowers for $15 and add some babies breath. I had to put them in a vase so I charged for all that. I charged him $55 which was not all that high if they had come from the Flower Shop they would have been more. They looked great and he was very happy. I am like you I really like to know how much they wish to spent. I think men are ok as long as it is not over the top.
sandynn
One Valentines Weekend a fellow coming from D. C. wanted I think it was 3 doz roses and they all had to be specific colors some of one , some of another..so I told him, I could have the florist do it.but being that weekend, I was sure it would be costly....I had no idea!!! The bill was $150 and the fellow had a fit..couldn't believe it was that much. He wasn't blaming me..but he was upset. He marched right down to the flowershop to complain...DUH..valentines weekend what did he expect??? I think the florist did give him $25 off because he complaines..MEN!!!!
Oh speaking of which...mine actually did a good thing...he got me a silk arrangment for our anniversary yesterday...something to sit on my desk here in the office. He actually took a picture to the floral designer so it would match the room!!! Didn't think he had that in him...surprised me.
kiss.gif

flowers.jpg

THe other thing to do is to order them from the florist and have him simply pay the whole bill, no gas on your part.
But if you are like me, flowers are an add-on packages and I make $10 on them. I just got back from having some roses arranged for a room. I charge one rate for roses if specified and another for a mixed fragrant bouquet.
You need to get your prices written down or on your website where they can order them and feel confident. I get irrirates if someone spends $85 on a florist delivery that is barely alive the next morning when I can get them for $30 and they last and last.

I tend to just pass on the price of whatever the delivery cost or what the flowers cost. I do this to avoid the hassle of dealing with wholesale to retail mess on the books. If you mark it up, you have to charge taxes on the exchange but can avoid the sales tax when you purchase it. If you just pass on the cost, it is like you are playing credit card and the exchange requires no tax and does not enter the revenue stream. If I go to get the items then I put on a "stocking charge" which is separate and is taxed and does enter the revenue stream.
The guest sees the actual cost of the item as a non-sales tax transaction (since sales tax was already paid when the item was purchased). Then on a separate line they see my "room stocking charge" which does have sales tax applied. It works for keeping the bookkeeping straight and the guests seem more comfortable about the transparency of it all ...especially when the dozen roses from the local florist cost nearly $70.

i am wondering how this all turns out ... guy happy? lady happy? you happy?

i am wondering how this all turns out ... guy happy? lady happy? you happy?.
seashanty said:
i am wondering how this all turns out ... guy happy? lady happy? you happy?
Everyone seems happy. I wasn't here when they checkedin, had some other errands to run. Asst said she cried. The wife cried, not my asst. While I was out running errands I stopped back at the florist and she will write up a receipt for me with a delivery charge next time someone wants a bouquet like this. There is anniversary package to purchase but he didn't want that when he booked and then just wanted flowers, had to be roses, when he called back. The ann pack would barely have covered the price of the roses and would not have covered antyhign else.

sandynn
One Valentines Weekend a fellow coming from D. C. wanted I think it was 3 doz roses and they all had to be specific colors some of one , some of another..so I told him, I could have the florist do it.but being that weekend, I was sure it would be costly....I had no idea!!! The bill was $150 and the fellow had a fit..couldn't believe it was that much. He wasn't blaming me..but he was upset. He marched right down to the flowershop to complain...DUH..valentines weekend what did he expect??? I think the florist did give him $25 off because he complaines..MEN!!!!
Oh speaking of which...mine actually did a good thing...he got me a silk arrangment for our anniversary yesterday...something to sit on my desk here in the office. He actually took a picture to the floral designer so it would match the room!!! Didn't think he had that in him...surprised me.
kiss.gif

flowers.jpg

Congratulations on your anniversary.
regular_smile.gif

AND,
I wish the desk in our office looked like that. haha!

Boy, am I coming into this late!
For anniversaries or birthdays, I get one red rose with water pik, greenery, and baby's breath wrapped like the florist does. I then palm the card if I cannot get it to him any other way to sign and give back to me. I then put the card with the rose and it is at her place for dinner (if getting a dinner or breakfast if not) and it is from him. I do not charge extra for it. Too often the guy is so stupid he tells her he did not do it. Have managed to stop a few of them before they "confessed". Why prick her bubble? She thinks he has actually shown some romance.
Then there was Mr. Romance who ordered 4 dozen red carnations - he smiled and said it was worth every penny when he got the bill for their 4 night romance package of add-ons.

Back