Bye-Bye E-mail Inbox - For 3rd TIME!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
RANT!! For the 3rd time I have lost a large chunk of current e-mails from my inbox. All the folders are OK but everything after 4/04/09 until this afternoon is gone from the inbox!
The system seemed to lock up - everything was either v e r y s sl lo ow or ot responding. I did a shutdown and reboot. When Outlook came back up I had lost about 6000 e-mails. Many were crap, but many were important. GRRR!! I wish I knew where they went or even why. I guess I am going to have to create folders for every kid and every category of e-mail. I only lose inbox!

Don't worry, should be no big deal. Restore your mail file from your carbonite backup. Then switch toThunderbird.

How about just getting a gmail account and accessing it through the web where things aren't stored on your computer. That has worked out well for me and it can be accessed from anywhere.

I don't keep more than 50 emails in the inbox at any time (strictly things that need attention or follow up). Folders seem to work. However, I would say something is wrong with your setup if you keep losing your email. It may be you keep reaching some maximum capacity.

WHAT! I NEVER keep anything in my in or out boxes. I delete everything except those things I MUST SAVE and then I create separate folders for each category. I treat email just like paper. Deal with it once and throw it away.

I have the delete folder set to empty whenever I close Outlook. I'm guilty of not sorting out the mail in the sent folder, tho...probably should do that.

Kathleen, I don't know if this will solve your problem, but what you're describing happened to me once. It turned out there were too many e-mails in my deleted folder. I have found that if there are significantly more than 1,000 in the deleted folder it will start taking them out of your inbox to make room.

Kathleen, I don't know if this will solve your problem, but what you're describing happened to me once. It turned out there were too many e-mails in my deleted folder. I have found that if there are significantly more than 1,000 in the deleted folder it will start taking them out of your inbox to make room..
yeah..the point of the delete folder is to delete:) I have it empty when logging out as well. You can set up all sorts of filters to get your mail into folders easily. It may take a bit of thought at first, but once done, you are set.

Kathleen, I don't know if this will solve your problem, but what you're describing happened to me once. It turned out there were too many e-mails in my deleted folder. I have found that if there are significantly more than 1,000 in the deleted folder it will start taking them out of your inbox to make room..
Thanks but it was probably too much in the inbox. I empty the deleted folder just about every time I delete stuff - do not want garbage sitting anywhere. There are times that I want to go back and look at things, do not have time to take care of it right then, or it is something I want to show DH that he never gets around to coming to see. I have the same problem with paper - I fear tossing anything because I may need it later to CYA (my in this case).
Steve told me the files would be a .DMX but when I followed his directions it did not list them that way. Probably as good a way to clear the decks as any. It has made me go back and do some more cleaning. I plan to be more watchful in the future.

Thanks but it was probably too much in the inbox. I empty the deleted folder just about every time I delete stuff - do not want garbage sitting anywhere. There are times that I want to go back and look at things, do not have time to take care of it right then, or it is something I want to show DH that he never gets around to coming to see. I have the same problem with paper - I fear tossing anything because I may need it later to CYA (my in this case).
Steve told me the files would be a .DMX but when I followed his directions it did not list them that way. Probably as good a way to clear the decks as any. It has made me go back and do some more cleaning. I plan to be more watchful in the future.
My ISP is Cox. I have it set up in my email to keep emails on my COX servers for 4 days, then delete.

Back