Cafetiere Anyone ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
Are cafetieres unusual things, I thought they are pretty common. When people ask for coffee with their breakfast we give them each a 2 cup stainless steel cafetiere, I bought them from Joh hLe wis and they're great because they're double walled so they keep the coffee really hot. In fact once breakfast is finished and the dishwasher is loaded and primed I usually make myself one.
I've been surprised by the number of people, even races that I think of as coffee officionados such as the Spanish and French, who don't know how they work and that you have to push the plunger down to filter the coffee.
The ultimate was this morning. Spanish lady didn't press the plunger but just tipped it to pour the coffee, of course it only dribbled so she tipped it and tipped it until eventually the lid and plunger fell out and hot coffee and coffee grounds went all over the table, down the wall and over the carpet.
dh wanted to slap her, everything on the table from the plates and cups/saucers to napkins were covered in coffee grounds, he spent ages trying to get the stains off the (white) wall and the carpet.

Here they are called a french press, and yes they are unusual for those who have never traveled or had coffee out very much (other than coffee shop coffees).
In Australia they are blunt, and call them plungers.
Some of the coffee houses in Seattle use them for single cup or anything other than espresso.

I push them down for the guests - they can't be trusted with anything!

We don't know what those are. I mean that in the general sense of Americans. Sure, some people know but by and large not happening.
We were given directions for how to use one in NS. Server did an entire instructional demo for us. I thought that was very helpful.
We find the same problems with the Keurig. Guests will wave us off when we point to the printed directions, 'Oh, we have one of those, no big deal...' and who is the guest who is standing there wondering why they aren't getting any coffee?

I have never used one. I admit to being an idiot.
(It was the discussion here on the Forum about toilets that clued me in for my trip to Europe about the button system. I am just a rural hillbilly, nothing Cosmopolitan about this hick.)

I push them down for the guests - they can't be trusted with anything!.
I push them down for the guests - they can't be trusted with anything!
thumbs_up.gif

For our breakfast delivery, we offer French press or drip. If FP, we give them a caraffe of hot water, have the grounds in the bottom of the FP and those that love strong coffee definitely know how to use the FP. Being located in the Pacific NW, most people love their coffee strong.

John, I assume you are using a French Press cafetiere and to be honest, we personally haven't ever had luck with French press. We never go the hang of plunging it. Most people are just used to drip coffee (or Italians, espresso.)
Maybe you should look at small drip coffee cafetieres? I saw some on "dbay" for 600ml thermal for 10 quid. And some really nice 3 cup for 20 quid.

(It was the discussion here on the Forum about toilets that clued me in for my trip to Europe about the button system. I am just a rural hillbilly, nothing Cosmopolitan about this hick.).
speaking of toilets - just had a new one put in - tank is TINY!!! which is great for a B&B owner as less water with every flush! about the same size as a hand bag!

Heck, our guests have trouble figuring out how to use a basic, simple coffee carafe. Do we turn the lid, do we not, if I turn it it doesn't come out, maybe if i stare at it it'll open up, then ask for help. Really People?? KISS = keep it simple stupid. I think you should hand them instructions with it. smh

(It was the discussion here on the Forum about toilets that clued me in for my trip to Europe about the button system. I am just a rural hillbilly, nothing Cosmopolitan about this hick.).
speaking of toilets - just had a new one put in - tank is TINY!!! which is great for a B&B owner as less water with every flush! about the same size as a hand bag!
YEA!!!

Heck, our guests have trouble figuring out how to use a basic, simple coffee carafe. Do we turn the lid, do we not, if I turn it it doesn't come out, maybe if i stare at it it'll open up, then ask for help. Really People?? KISS = keep it simple stupid. I think you should hand them instructions with it. smh.
As I put the carafe on the table, I tell them (as I demonstrate) snap the button, it is ready to pour. Snap it again and it is thermal.

Heck, our guests have trouble figuring out how to use a basic, simple coffee carafe. Do we turn the lid, do we not, if I turn it it doesn't come out, maybe if i stare at it it'll open up, then ask for help. Really People?? KISS = keep it simple stupid. I think you should hand them instructions with it. smh.
I have trouble with those carafe thingies. Some of them you turn, some of them there's a slider you have to work, some of them are just 'ready to pour'. But you never know which one you've got!
Had a guest tell me after 3 days that the tea kettle didn't work. She demonstrated for me that it was cold. She demonstrated by putting her hand on the hot surface and saying, 'Ouch! It didn't work before.' Then she showed me what she was pushing to heat the kettle...the button to open the top to fill it with water.
Her husband had hot tea everyday. She did not.

The coffee pot/dispenser at our coffee station has a button you press your cup to to dispense the coffee (think soda dispenser). People can't figure that out either. They come down and say the coffee is out. Nope it is people error.
Thinking about this it reminds me of every blasted time I called for computer assistance and the IT guy would say before listening to my problem: 'did you try turning it off and on again'

I have trouble with those carafe thingies. Some of them you turn, some of them there's a slider you have to work, some of them are just 'ready to pour'. But you never know which one you've got!
Had a guest tell me after 3 days that the tea kettle didn't work. She demonstrated for me that it was cold. She demonstrated by putting her hand on the hot surface and saying, 'Ouch! It didn't work before.' Then she showed me what she was pushing to heat the kettle...the button to open the top to fill it with water.
Her husband had hot tea everyday. She did not.
I have one of those hot water heaters that keep water hot for tea all the time. The flap on the top to open it was being used all the time by mistake. I relabeled it... finger chopper. Now no one touches it.

Highlands John said:
Are cafetieres unusual things, I thought they are pretty common. When people ask for coffee with their breakfast we give them each a 2 cup stainless steel cafetiere, I bought them from Joh hLe wis and they're great because they're double walled so they keep the coffee really hot. In fact once breakfast is finished and the dishwasher is loaded and primed I usually make myself one.
I've been surprised by the number of people, even races that I think of as coffee officionados such as the Spanish and French, who don't know how they work and that you have to push the plunger down to filter the coffee.
The ultimate was this morning. Spanish lady didn't press the plunger but just tipped it to pour the coffee, of course it only dribbled so she tipped it and tipped it until eventually the lid and plunger fell out and hot coffee and coffee grounds went all over the table, down the wall and over the carpet.
dh wanted to slap her, everything on the table from the plates and cups/saucers to napkins were covered in coffee grounds, he spent ages trying to get the stains off the (white) wall and the carpet.
Why not just make it easier on yourself and don't put the pot on the table until it's ready to get plunged and you do it for them?

Highlands John said:
Why not just make it easier on yourself and don't put the pot on the table until it's ready to get plunged and you do it for them?.
One of the nice things about a cafetiere is that the stronger guests want the coffee the longer you can leave it to brew, my pressing the plunger for the guests kind of defeats the purpose.

Highlands John said:
Why not just make it easier on yourself and don't put the pot on the table until it's ready to get plunged and you do it for them?.
One of the nice things about a cafetiere is that the stronger guests want the coffee the longer you can leave it to brew, my pressing the plunger for the guests kind of defeats the purpose.
Highlands John said:
Totally agree. We started offering them because our drip coffee is not that strong and this allows the guests who want really strong coffee to control it themselves. When I check them in, I ask if they prefer drip or press.

Back