Cake

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowpondgj

Reaction score
Here's the cake I made for the elopement we did this weekend. It's white cake with raspberry buttercream filling and white chocolate marshmallow cream frosting covered in white chocolate shavings, best frosting in the whole wide world....I should have made one for us, but I think it has way too many points!
Wedding-Cake.jpg

That is beautiful! And sounds amazing...I hope you at least got one little lick of the frosting!
Kudos!

It's a pretty cake.
Not to sound crass, but do you charge for something like that? We can get a cake-for-two at a local bakery for $10. We thought about having this made available to our guests by advanced arrangement and marking it up accordingly. Our concerns are mostly one of time involved.

That is one gorgeous display ... and I am fussy over that type of thing. Some people are talented but the end result still comes out looking not quite professional. This definitely looks professional.

Thank you, yes, I charged for it, next time I will charge more, I didn't make anything on it once I was done, but it was my first wedding cake, so it was also a learning experience. I would charge $50-$75 for this cake if I did it again. It really didn't take much time, I baked the cake and make the chocolate shavings the day before and frosted and built it the day of. It was messy and the cost of the flowers and finding decent flowers at a decent price was a challenge. They say an average wedding cake should be priced at $10-$12 per slice, if that is any help...

Thank you, yes, I charged for it, next time I will charge more, I didn't make anything on it once I was done, but it was my first wedding cake, so it was also a learning experience. I would charge $50-$75 for this cake if I did it again. It really didn't take much time, I baked the cake and make the chocolate shavings the day before and frosted and built it the day of. It was messy and the cost of the flowers and finding decent flowers at a decent price was a challenge. They say an average wedding cake should be priced at $10-$12 per slice, if that is any help....
Do you think you would actually get someone to pay you $50-75 for a cake?? I couldn't tell the size by the photo. Is it a 2 layer 10 inch or what??? $10 a slice!!! YIKES. I think I would just go to a bakery and get one and then have them pay it. I would not take all the time you did for it.

Thank you, yes, I charged for it, next time I will charge more, I didn't make anything on it once I was done, but it was my first wedding cake, so it was also a learning experience. I would charge $50-$75 for this cake if I did it again. It really didn't take much time, I baked the cake and make the chocolate shavings the day before and frosted and built it the day of. It was messy and the cost of the flowers and finding decent flowers at a decent price was a challenge. They say an average wedding cake should be priced at $10-$12 per slice, if that is any help....
Do you think you would actually get someone to pay you $50-75 for a cake?? I couldn't tell the size by the photo. Is it a 2 layer 10 inch or what??? $10 a slice!!! YIKES. I think I would just go to a bakery and get one and then have them pay it. I would not take all the time you did for it.
We had a wedding here in the spring, they paid $500 for a half sheet size cake that didn't even feed a fraction of the people they invited, they had to order two extra plain sheet cakes to make it up. People will pay for a cake, it's a wedding, that's what, a thrice in a lifetime event for most people?
tounge_smile.gif

This cake was a 6 " two layer cake, it could easliy feed four and conservatively 6. If you tasted this cake, you would pay it, just for the frosting, I'm telling you, it is a really good ! Not hard, 3 week old cake, with that sitting in the cooler aftertaste, with gritty, week old, hydrogenated oil packed sugar frosting. This frosting is like chocolate silk, decadent is the word.
I don't expect to do a lot of them, in two years, this is the first one, so no big deal...And now that I know how to put it all together, it would probably only take me about 2 hours total...

it's a beautiful cake. but just the cake alone, however beautiful, is probably too labor intensive and costly to be profitable?
if it's part of an elopement package then you price it accordingly.
maybe to have the cake like that would be the ULTRA package .... and a simpler cake would cost less. i've seen lots of these packages that include the flower petals on the bed and digital pictures uploaded to picassa that cost practically nothing, and hors d'oeuvres for two and champagna toast.
ps ~ for me, cake decorating is FUN ... as long as i have enough time. i suspect it's the same for you.

$10 a slice??! I know it's probably the location, but I have recently bought my daughters wedding cake and it's something like $4.50 a slice. A 3 tiered square cake with hand made flowers and ribbon...
Maybe you can either send me the recipe or post it here???! I would love to make it for myself!

$10-$12 a slice? Ouch!
If the difficult part for you was obtaining the flowers at a decent price, maybe you could cut down on the quantity of it? The focus should be placed on the actual cake itself, not the large floral display surrounding the cake. With the latter, cutting the cake is either very difficult or you have to move all the flowers to the side to access it.

$10-$12 a slice? Ouch!
If the difficult part for you was obtaining the flowers at a decent price, maybe you could cut down on the quantity of it? The focus should be placed on the actual cake itself, not the large floral display surrounding the cake. With the latter, cutting the cake is either very difficult or you have to move all the flowers to the side to access it..
I know, but I was working with what I had, next time the cake itself will be on a small pedestal, which I didn't have. They were just eating it in their room, so I knew they weren't going to care...

$10-$12 a slice? Ouch!
If the difficult part for you was obtaining the flowers at a decent price, maybe you could cut down on the quantity of it? The focus should be placed on the actual cake itself, not the large floral display surrounding the cake. With the latter, cutting the cake is either very difficult or you have to move all the flowers to the side to access it..
I agree. Although the cake is very pretty, the large amount of flowers and greenery kind of overshadow the cake. I would go with much less next time.

Did you post this photo to be critiqued?
The forum has a BAD habit of taking any image or question and going over it with a fine toothed comb.
It is a lovely cake. I am sure they enjoyed it very much and made them smile! I have never had white chocolate marshmallow cream icing, sounds super!

$10-$12 a slice? Ouch!
I went back and read the post and where did you get the $10 per slice from I did not read that. I must have missed. By the way the cake is so pretty. Please post the reciepe.

Back