Call to action button, what is best?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
This is the button or link they would click when they are ready to buy. We currently use "check availability" . Hotels.com uses "book it". BBonline is "check availability". So I take it that is the norm? Seems a bit soft as a call to action. Amazon.com uses "add to cart." Another one that is not super agressive. For products i always like it "buy here". Maybe "book now" or "reserve now".
Anyone mix these up and test results?

Yes, I've tried a lot of them. I have really bad stats, tho, as MOST of my guests call me and say they never saw a way to make a rez or that there was a calendar to see what was avail.
Here's what I tried in different locations on the page: Book Now!, Availability, Make a Reservation, View Calendar and Reserve This Room.
Generally the button that gets hit first is the one that gets seen first. I still don't get what people 'see' and what they miss.

I have a big orange BOOK NOW! but most people book through Laterooms.com so makes little difference to us.

Sometimes is is not what they see or not see it is that they are still not quiet comfortable providing all their details online.
In a thread last year - summer time I think - don't have time to hunt for it, this type of question was raised. After that discussion, we added 2 buttons - One "Book Now" and one "Check availability" they both go to my webervations page and asks them which dates they are interested - but some may be too intimated to look if you put both under one button.
A "Check availablity" does not really say that you can book it too....I think it stumps the viewer.

We use "CHECK AVAILABILITY" and according to Google Analytics we are getting nearly a 100% conversion rate, the goal being to get them to look at our calendar and book.

Sometimes is is not what they see or not see it is that they are still not quiet comfortable providing all their details online.
In a thread last year - summer time I think - don't have time to hunt for it, this type of question was raised. After that discussion, we added 2 buttons - One "Book Now" and one "Check availability" they both go to my webervations page and asks them which dates they are interested - but some may be too intimated to look if you put both under one button.
A "Check availablity" does not really say that you can book it too....I think it stumps the viewer..
Going thru all iterations of what a guest might think:
  • I want to reserve a room right now (Make a Reservation button or Book Now!)
  • I want to see if anything is open when I want to come (Check Availability, View Calendar and Reserve)
  • I want to look around and see what dates are open (Check Availability)
  • I don't know what to do, tell me (Make a Reservation, Book Now, View Calendar and Reserve)
  • I want to see if the room I want is open on the dates I want (Check Availability, View Calendar and Reserve)
I'm not sure what other words to use.
I'd love a randomness generator...'I'm open to any date or room, pick one for me.'

We use "CHECK AVAILABILITY" and according to Google Analytics we are getting nearly a 100% conversion rate, the goal being to get them to look at our calendar and book..
100% is hard to beat!!! wow, is that 100% who check availabilty or come to the site?

A "Check availablity" does not really say that you can book it too....I think it stumps the viewer..
Going thru all iterations of what a guest might think:
  • I want to reserve a room right now (Make a Reservation button or Book Now!)
  • I want to see if anything is open when I want to come (Check Availability, View Calendar and Reserve)
  • I want to look around and see what dates are open (Check Availability)
  • I don't know what to do, tell me (Make a Reservation, Book Now, View Calendar and Reserve)
  • I want to see if the room I want is open on the dates I want (Check Availability, View Calendar and Reserve)
I'm not sure what other words to use.
I'd love a randomness generator...'I'm open to any date or room, pick one for me.'
Or another button, "Click here to auto call innkeeper to ask any variety of question that your little mind can come up with". haha!

We had a big "Book Now" button and then various locations that read, "Check Availability", "Make a Reservation". You could go to these from many pages in many ways. I had a good web designer. :)

We use "CHECK AVAILABILITY" and according to Google Analytics we are getting nearly a 100% conversion rate, the goal being to get them to look at our calendar and book..
100% is hard to beat!!! wow, is that 100% who check availabilty or come to the site?
After much tweaking of code and the introduction of professional photography, we went from a bounce rate of 65% to 13%. All this indicates is that the traffic that is landing on my page is looking for my page and that the information that they are finding is relevant to their search. Our business has increased as a result, but I think it's too early to tell if this is a direct result of my improved standing on Google.

After much tweaking of code and the introduction of professional photography, we went from a bounce rate of 65% to 13%. All this indicates is that the traffic that is landing on my page is looking for my page and that the information that they are finding is relevant to their search. Our business has increased as a result, but I think it's too early to tell if this is a direct result of my improved standing on Google.
Awesome! I just discussed getting some professional photos done last night. Going to try and make some not so professional ones tomorrow hahaha.
EDIT - I am sure you know but that is an amazing bounce rate.

Proud Texan said:
After much tweaking of code and the introduction of professional photography, we went from a bounce rate of 65% to 13%.
Wowser, that is good!

"Book" is industry speak. We book them meaning WE add them to our books. It is not as meaningful to travelers. "Make a reservation" is clearer to the end user. "Check availability" is also good but has a different connotation to some (it is less final sounding). With online reservations systems "check availability" and "make a reservation" reference the same thing, but many in the travelling public don't fully realize that. Using both here and there is the best option.

Can I ask what booking engine you use? That high of a conversion rate says something about them too.

Can I ask what booking engine you use? That high of a conversion rate says something about them too.
Webervations I believe is what he uses. You can take a look at his site by going to his profile.

Back