CALLING ALL - Pets at the Inn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
PUBLISHED JAN 20, 2011 CLICK HERE [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]http://innteractiveinns.blogspot.com/[/COLOR][/h3]
A new blog article in the works about PETS AT THE INN.[/h3]As in the past we did a blog article about regional foods, this time I want to feature "PETS AT THE INN"
If you would like to participate, please email (from the forum contact form) the following:
  • Inn name, location and url link
  • Pet(s) name, and social (just kidding) and a lovely, funny or interesting photo of your pet(s). Either on their own, with the fam or guests or an action shot with the inn, whatever you wish to share. Make it good resolution (so it's not fuzzy) and I can shrink to fit.
  • Anything pertinent re this pet, funny or quirky is better as this will be somewhat whimsical showing that innkeepers are families with pets and are FUN! One sentence or two so we can fit as many as possible in one article. THANKS EVERYONE!
http://innteractiveinns.blogspot.com/ Hope to post this in a week, thank you!

Be careful!! I had a letter waiting for me from our last remaining Charter member of our assoc. They will be closing if this holds up.
Health Dept sent them a letter citing the section of the State Health Code "No dogs, cats or other domestic animals, shall be permitted to run at large." An Asst Dir at State health Dept advised "running at large" to mean (over and above the expected kitchen, dining, food storage areas) "Pets should be confined to areas occupied by the owner. They should not be allowed to run around in public areas." "A separate room will be acceptable to meet this."
I have already sent a letter to our Lobby arm for advise. It WILL be discussed on Tourism Day on Feb 7 if it has not been resolved sooner. As Legislative Chair I cannot take action, but it IS my responsibility to investigate and bring the info and suggested actions to my Board. This could easily make more than just this couple say "We are closed" This particular couple have been innkeepers for 21 years.

Be careful!! I had a letter waiting for me from our last remaining Charter member of our assoc. They will be closing if this holds up.
Health Dept sent them a letter citing the section of the State Health Code "No dogs, cats or other domestic animals, shall be permitted to run at large." An Asst Dir at State health Dept advised "running at large" to mean (over and above the expected kitchen, dining, food storage areas) "Pets should be confined to areas occupied by the owner. They should not be allowed to run around in public areas." "A separate room will be acceptable to meet this."
I have already sent a letter to our Lobby arm for advise. It WILL be discussed on Tourism Day on Feb 7 if it has not been resolved sooner. As Legislative Chair I cannot take action, but it IS my responsibility to investigate and bring the info and suggested actions to my Board. This could easily make more than just this couple say "We are closed" This particular couple have been innkeepers for 21 years..
It is common sense, which is not all that common, that pets should not be in the kitchen while food is being cooked, in the dining room while the food is being served, on the furniture where the guests have to sit, in the guest rooms at all or allowed to terrorize the guests in any way. That should include birds, dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, snakes, etc.
OR, it should be very clear on the website that all of this will occur. Caveat emptor.
Anywhere I have gone where I have encountered 'pets on the loose' will never see me again. But, it doesn't take a law to shut someone down. All it takes is more guests choosing with their wallets. Anyone who finds the menagerie to their liking, will go back, others will stay away.

They had NOT in kitchen, dining.... (That is what I meant by over and above the expected ...) Anyone who allows their animals in the kitchen of a business serving food - lets just say not wise. Private home is THEIR business. I have no idea where this particular couple allows their pets - that is somethign else I have to investigate....

They had NOT in kitchen, dining.... (That is what I meant by over and above the expected ...) Anyone who allows their animals in the kitchen of a business serving food - lets just say not wise. Private home is THEIR business. I have no idea where this particular couple allows their pets - that is somethign else I have to investigate.....
gillumhouse said:
They had NOT in kitchen, dining.... (That is what I meant by over and above the expected ...) Anyone who allows their animals in the kitchen of a business serving food - lets just say not wise. Private home is THEIR business. I have no idea where this particular couple allows their pets - that is somethign else I have to investigate....
In my limited experience of seeing 'behind the green baize door' innkeepers with pets and only one kitchen let their pets run wild in the kitchen. This is usually where the pet has set up camp. Food & water bowls, bedding, toys. It is generally the 'heart' of anyone's home no matter what home-based business also has dibs.
It is a very tough law to uphold.

it really is, we keep ours in our quarters, and if we dont close the doors leading to the "inn" part sometimes they escape-our older cat knows better and comes running back into our area. Its also sometimes difficult to find jobs that allow pets-thats one of the downfalls but they are so important and I don't know if i can live without cats in the house or at least one-dogs not so much cause i never had time to care for them but I'm more of a the feline lover than dog lover-maybe when i retire...i will get a dog

we have two rabbits and mainly they live outside but when the weather is cold we have one in the utility room and one in the bathroom but they never come in the kitchen. (they are mainly house rabbits) bobby who is well behaved sometimes sits with me when I am doing my paperwork as I often sit in the breakfast room for that as I have more space to spread out. But he just sits on a chair and behaves himself. I would never let Lucas out cos we would be chasing him all over the building (he is very fast and inquisitive) though they are both friendly and we have regulars who like to pet them. I don't have much pet hair except for now cos they must think it is summer and they have started shedding their winter coats grrr.

This is your state, this is not all states. Of course animals should not be allowed to run at large, it is a liability issue.
Our dog DOES go outside, otherwise would be wearing a diaper. She also plays outside and is a dog, this is also our home.
BTW saying a dog/pet should be confined to a KITCHEN is imo a health dept big no no. If anything THAT is where the pet should not be allowed to hang out. :)
IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN SHARING THEIR FAMILY PET, PLS SEND ME A PHOTO AND INFO BELOW:
Here is the layout:
Pet's name: Rover
Nicknames: Rove-ster, ThePup
B&B URL
B&B NAME
CITY and STATE

Synopsis of the pet, a short paragraph or few sentences describing functions or personality etc.

I'll try but they are jiggers and wont sit still for good photo's! Will do my best. bye for now cam

we have two rabbits and mainly they live outside but when the weather is cold we have one in the utility room and one in the bathroom but they never come in the kitchen. (they are mainly house rabbits) bobby who is well behaved sometimes sits with me when I am doing my paperwork as I often sit in the breakfast room for that as I have more space to spread out. But he just sits on a chair and behaves himself. I would never let Lucas out cos we would be chasing him all over the building (he is very fast and inquisitive) though they are both friendly and we have regulars who like to pet them. I don't have much pet hair except for now cos they must think it is summer and they have started shedding their winter coats grrr..
we have two rabbits and mainly they live outside but when the weather is cold we have one in the utility room and one in the bathroom but they never come in the kitchen.
Send me the info with pix if you wish. The article won't post til next week. PUBLISHED 01-20-11

Please note this blog article has published. See link at top of first post. Any other "group" article ideas, please share. :)

Back