CALLING ALL - Using LESS gas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Submission Deadline March 16th (Email submissions to me) NOW CLOSED
Agnes suggested an article that promotes WALKING and using LESS GAS after reading about promotions for inns giving away $25 gas cards. This all seems so counter productive to what we really want to accomplish in this world!
If you have an inn where you are a destination, ie park and spend the weekend or few nights wtih you - please share a paragraph or short bulleted list for the Innteractiveinns blog. This includes events nearby, shopping and dining nearby, anything that allows them to park it and leave it! If you offer a package, etc.
BTW Feel free to post this as a stand alone article ON THIS BLOG about YOUR INN as well. This will be a joint blog article, but PLEASE BY ALL MEANS post one with your own photos and info and links! GO FOR IT!
Submit:
  1. Inn name, city, state
  2. URL
  3. List of things to see and do after PARKING IT, or a short paragraph describing why they can PARK IT and not use fuel when they stay with you. If you offer bikes...please let them know! If you offer bike storage...please let them know!
THANKS IN ADVANCE. THIS IS FREE MARKETING FOR YOU.

JB, we're too rural to meet these criteria, but I wanted to say I think this is very smart..
Other options besides just parking the car to save gas money could be a picnic lunch (if you can do that), sharing the ride with another couple (yippee, 2 rooms!), a place to plug in the electric car (not sure how fast your meter would spin at that point but some places 'create' their own energy via solar & wind).

RH do you have things to keep people occupied AT THE INN? That qualifies too. Romance getaway packages. Park it and leave it!

An inn where I have stayed gives a discount to guests who drive hybrids as an Earth Day promotion in April. That is another tactic.

RH do you have things to keep people occupied AT THE INN? That qualifies too. Romance getaway packages. Park it and leave it!.
Joey Bloggs said:
RH do you have things to keep people occupied AT THE INN? That qualifies too. Romance getaway packages. Park it and leave it!
I saw an advertisement recently where the B&B was offering complimentary sex toys to the guests.
wow.gif
That might keep them occupied!

JB, we're too rural to meet these criteria, but I wanted to say I think this is very smart..
What about coming up with a walking tour of the area or a biking tour? TOO Rural usually means little traffic. Fishing holes?
gillumhouse said:
What about coming up with a walking tour of the area or a biking tour? TOO Rural usually means little traffic. Fishing holes?
That is what I was thinking, rural meaning strolls through the country, bird watching, etc. But obv I don't know what the location is, so rural could mean anything...farm. As one innkeeper said "Come out and see the Corn!"

gillumhouse said:
That is what I was thinking, rural meaning strolls through the country, bird watching, etc. But obv I don't know what the location is, so rural could mean anything...farm. As one innkeeper said "Come out and see the Corn!"
We used to have as members a farm in PA that gave Junior Farmer certificates to the kids that came with their parents if they did certain things on this working farm. No such thing as too rural - it you get guests, they are there for a reason - and it might just BE your ruralness!

Just saw this (no not putting it on that article, but I thought about it!)
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]"Beer now cheaper than gas! Drink, dont drive."[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]"Beer now cheaper than gas! Drink, dont drive."[/COLOR].
Better Way to Stay isputting a gas save specials together. I hate it that we have to keep short-changing ourselves to make people come. Are the hotel chains doing that much - get a gas card when you book? I know pri ce li ne etc are rate cutters, but geesh! Our break even is not $20 or $25 either!
Edited to ad: WHINE!!!!

[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]"Beer now cheaper than gas! Drink, dont drive."[/COLOR].
Better Way to Stay isputting a gas save specials together. I hate it that we have to keep short-changing ourselves to make people come. Are the hotel chains doing that much - get a gas card when you book? I know pri ce li ne etc are rate cutters, but geesh! Our break even is not $20 or $25 either!
gillumhouse said:
That is where our blog article came from K. It was mentioned to me that we should have an article sharing gas SAVING at B&B instead of using. Encourage people to park it and save, not drive to get more gas! It will post soon enough...

It is great! Timing is perfect since the BWTS just came up with a new campaign that is getting hit by innkeepers - including me - as no way. It is called FREE GAS - NO FOOLING and is to hit on April 1 (April Fool's Day). Some are thinking a value added would be a special under this. I maintain it says free gas and that is what you need to supply.
People who come here have more money that I do. I am already hanging by a thread and I am supposed to buy gas for them? Personally, I do not think people are looking at the cost of gas with their getaway. They are looking for the relaxation, the get away from the routine and whatever it takes to do that is what it takes. They are much more likely, in my opinion, to look at the price of the room and cost of the activities than the cost of the gas.

It is great! Timing is perfect since the BWTS just came up with a new campaign that is getting hit by innkeepers - including me - as no way. It is called FREE GAS - NO FOOLING and is to hit on April 1 (April Fool's Day). Some are thinking a value added would be a special under this. I maintain it says free gas and that is what you need to supply.
People who come here have more money that I do. I am already hanging by a thread and I am supposed to buy gas for them? Personally, I do not think people are looking at the cost of gas with their getaway. They are looking for the relaxation, the get away from the routine and whatever it takes to do that is what it takes. They are much more likely, in my opinion, to look at the price of the room and cost of the activities than the cost of the gas.
This is mostly true UNTIL they start getting hammered with the idea they should be looking for places that will pay them to come and stay. Given the option of 2 similar places the guest will opt for the one with the freebie, IF they see a value in it.

This is mostly true UNTIL they start getting hammered with the idea they should be looking for places that will pay them to come and stay. Given the option of 2 similar places the guest will opt for the one with the freebie, IF they see a value in it.
Which is exactly why my hair stood on end as I choked down a scream when I saw the title Free Gas - No Foolin'
There are some who had the idea they could add to the value and participate. When the title of the campaign is Free Gas then you darn well best be giving them Free Gas and I do not mean a pot of soup beans.

gillumhouse said:
I'm with you K. I was upset when I saw the first campaign for BWTS. Why is it that it's always the innkeeper who has to pony up discounts???? Why couldn't they have created a campaign that emphasized the VALUE that is already built in to staying at B&Bs? I know they need a "hook", but I really think that discounts is the wrong way to go.

Back