Calling All Women to Discover Your Natural Passion!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Virginia State Parks Womens Wellness Weekends
From JB
Marketing idea...have you considered having anything JUST FOR WOMEN at your INN?
Is there anything regional that would be a draw that you could incorporate into a weekend getaway for women?
I would say men, but women are more into the B&B specialty getaways than men, unless of course it is combined, ie marriage retreat or something. Have you sent rack cards to your local churches to suggest a local getaway for a marriage retreat? or off season ladies retreat? I am still planning on marketing the mother-daughter book club getaway, only one night, and after noon tea. I have the suggested books and info saved to market this AFTER our Fall/busiest season.

What other off season ideas do you have up your sleeve?
We have discussed in past contact homeschool associations and having afternoon teas. We did that here, it was lovely. Or "American Girl" afternoon teas.
What events could you hold that invited OVERNIGHT lodging?

We have discussed in past contact homeschool associations and having afternoon teas. We did that here, it was lovely. Or "American Girl" afternoon teas.
What events could you hold that invited OVERNIGHT lodging?.
Joey Bloggs said:
I just had my health dept surprise inspection yesterday (got 100%, whew!) and I grilled the inspector about what I would need to do to get a restaurant license. It's not as much as I thought, since I wouldn't be deep frying so I don't have to worry about the hood.
My kitchen is just a regular kitchen, nothing fancy. The least costly would be to replace my 2 compartment sink and put in 4 compartments. I would "technically" have to wash, rinse, dip in 3 of them, then the 4th one would be dedicated hand washing. According to the health dept I would then NOT be able to use my dish washer. What a bunch of hooey. But, I'll go along with the plan (at least on paper).
If I get a restaurant license, I can offer easy, quick dinners or lunches in the slower seasons and sell them to my guests. Since I'm in the country and we get a lot of very wet coastal weather, I think I could really make some money offering this service. It's only a 10 minute drive to the nearest restaurant, but in the winter time my guests act like they're crossing the great divide!
My plan is to add these meal add-ons to my reservation system (I've almost got Res-Key on my site), do things that I can either purchase and heat or very simple dishes that I can make up ahead, freeze and present with a minimal amount of time.
I think also that having a restaurant license will be an added benefit if I ever sell. The next owners can be as simple or gourmet as they wish to increase revenue.

Great ideas BD.
PO's here did much catering and dinners, that was the main thing really. Nearly ALL business guests would add that on, other than those who wanted to imbibe. Also couples for a romantic dinner for two.
I saw a website for an inn for sale that offered these at very high rates...let me find it. here:
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']NEW DINNER SERVICE see DINNER DATE on that page[/h2][/FONT]

Great ideas BD.
PO's here did much catering and dinners, that was the main thing really. Nearly ALL business guests would add that on, other than those who wanted to imbibe. Also couples for a romantic dinner for two.
I saw a website for an inn for sale that offered these at very high rates...let me find it. here:
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']NEW DINNER SERVICE see DINNER DATE on that page[/h2][/FONT].
Thanks JB! Interesting to note that they have 1 menu with no variations per season.
We'll deliver their meal to their door just like we do breakfast and won't do anything for the public. I was thinking of offering 2 menus, simple i.e. an Italian meal of salad, lasagna (meat or vegetarian), garlic bread & simple dessert. All things I can make ahead and probably freeze.
Since this opportunity just came to light yesterday, I'm still trying to figure out what to serve with the least amount of work.
Any ideas out there??

I considered doing this and I would do what they do at some of these catered events at hotels, or weddings, or symphony tables etc.
Choice of:
meat and two sides
The meat being chicken breast (however prepared), pork loin or vegetarian choice
also start with salad and bread and end with a simple dessert and coffee or port if you can serve that. Cheesecake you can keep frozen and make a nice topping (raspberry or similar) when served.
Here is the menu from the dinner or luncheon cruise:
Lunch Menu includes appetizer, sliced baked ham, spiced apples, turkey with stuffing, country style steak in a brown sauce, baked macaroni & cheese, vegetable of the day, bread/butter, dessert, coffee/tea.
Dinner Menu includes salad with house dressing, herb roasted pork loin, roasted chicken in a balsamic crème sauce, vegetable of the day, garlic smashed potatoes, bread/butter, dessert, coffee/tea.
themed cruises:
Menu includes salad with house dressing, sliced roast pork in a pineapple glaze, mandarin chicken, coconut fried rice, vegetable fo the day, bread/butter, dessert, coffee/tea.
Menu includes salad with house dressing, herb roasted pork loin, roasted chicken in a balsamic creme sauce, vegetable of the day, garlic smashed potatoes, bread/butter, dessert, coffee/tea.

Great idea, BD. I've stayed at an inn several times that offers dinners now at $75 for two with 4 entree selections. I think their dinners might have started at $55 for two. Originally, you could pick from 2 choices - a beef tenderloin or salmon. They picked the sides for the entrees - potatoes and a veggie with the beef, risotto or rice with a veggie with the fish, bread also. Started with a fairly standard salad that was "gourmeted" up a bit. Coffee and a chef's choice dessert were included. Now, they offer a limited wine list for sale. It's a big hit!

I was just thinking on going for a woman's holiday, mother-daughter-grandmother, marriage retreats...well thats a great idea book club stuff thanks needed some ideas.

Great ideas BD.
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']NEW DINNER SERVICE see DINNER DATE on that page[/h2][/FONT].
Thanks JB! Interesting to note that they have 1 menu with no variations per season.
We'll deliver their meal to their door just like we do breakfast and won't do anything for the public. I was thinking of offering 2 menus, simple i.e. an Italian meal of salad, lasagna (meat or vegetarian), garlic bread & simple dessert. All things I can make ahead and probably freeze.
Since this opportunity just came to light yesterday, I'm still trying to figure out what to serve with the least amount of work.
Any ideas out there??
My menu is:
Bottomless Salad bowl (only one couple has ever emptied it) served with
Homemade French Bread (oven to table)
Homemade Manicotti
Ice Cream or Homemade Chocolate Pudding for dessert
$60 + tax if an add-on but usually tucked into a package.
I have in the past, made 18 to 20 manicottis at a time and vac/seal/freeze the extras until needed. Have now come up with a better system. Make the pasta, dry it, and boil. Pat dry and vac seal/freeze 6 to a pkg (in case one tears or messes up somehow) with waxed paper between pieces of pasta. take a pkg of pasta out of freezer and mix up the ricotta & other cheeses w/herbs filling as needed. I use a quality locally made spaghetti sauce. Cuts down on the prep time drastically. Either way works very well. My vac seal bags can be placed in boiling water for quick thaw if needed.

I believe things like this were discussed back in Jan.2010 - Marketing to Gen X'ers etc. - I felt like I was shot down then, but maybe now it is a good idea?
Are there any quilt shows in your area? I know women who like to travel for that. How 'bout just marketing a "girls weekend" getaway. Who needs a reason, you just want to get away - from the husband and kids! If I had a husband who hunted, fished, etc., you can bet I would be finding an excuse to take the same amount of time away

We ate actually having a quilt class-and yes I was thinking of a girls weekend thing...I am getting some packages together for the owner and this would definantely be one of them.
A a catchy title like: Hunting for Inner Peace and oh lets not forget our girlfirends who need Margarita Peace too...he he he.

Next weekend there will be 12 of my friends coming for a girlfriend's weekend... this is their 3rd year.... we have so much fun!

Just a few ideas I havn't tried any but people I know have has good success with targeted adds (ie in special interest mags)
Scrapbooking (this is going out of fashion but still popular) Scrabble, Cross stitching, flower arranging, cycling, walking, fishing, Papercraft generally, Bridge (this is really popular) anything pamper related (could you organise people to come in and do?) But I would say if people book anything that costs or requires minimum numbers then it needs to be paid in full and non refundable so you are not left carrying the bag if they cancell last minute. I forget who it was on here did murder mystry but couldn't get the numbers so the company wouldn't come and they ended up having to play all the parts themselves and get the kids and friends involved to pull it off which is a stress you don't need. Anything related to a hobby is good as people will pay out stupid money for their hobbies. Also family tree stuff though not sure how you tap into that but it is red hot at the moment.

We do need a reason, it is marketing. If you go to BBonline or any B&B directory there are tons of inns listed under the girlfriend getaways, many are ALREADY on there!
You need to have a worm on the hook.
A HEADLINE per se to drive attention your way.
Look at it this way, if you have it listed on your website, well they are already on your website, you need to drive the traffic to your website, and this is one way to do it. You can then social media this weekend and get the word out there.
Headlines or titles of special or naming the getaway can be tricky, a good one can get someone to click to your website, a bad one just goes off into oblivion. People are pressed for time and have a google of things they CAN view online, why would they click on your special or promotion? We have to make it inviting or intriguing, catchy at least!
(Disclaimer: We are always looking for ways to market in the off season, just because something fizzled out or others did not respond doesn't mean some are not n the background here working on this. :) I have plenty of innfo saved in my calendar and drafts folder to promote after Nov when it slows way down)

I learned early on, just because it does not get a wiggle at first, do not abandon something that has no particular date. I had my overnight stabling up for 18 months before the first nibble. It cost me nothing to leave it. I now get a nice segment of revenue from stabling.
I left the A Tisket, A Tasket - Let's Make a Basket up for 2 years then took it down. A no-go. Same for the Look What I Made! that was leaded glass and/or wood turning lessons at a local shop a block away. Also no-go. Both were any time. Perhaps they would have booked for a specific but I doubt it.

Back