Calling all you laundry Gurus - I have a mystery than needs solving

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
All my towels are white. Lately, I have noticed rust colored stains about the size of a dime on some. Usually a round splotch, but some are more elongated. I have wracked my brain trying to figure out what they are and where they are coming from. They look like a rusty spot, but rust remover will not budge them. Nothing gets them out. Not pretreaters, not soaking, not bleach.
Has anybody come across this before or have any idea what it could be?
Its not limited to towels. I have found it on washcloths, bath mats and hand towels. I'm stumped.

How about sheets? More than one washer/dryer? Does it happen in all of them?
We had long streaks of 'rust' on the sheets (narrowing it down to one washer/dryer combo) and found that the screws in the washer were rusty. Anything that rubbed up against them ended up with that streak.

We had long streaks of 'rust' on the sheets (narrowing it down to one washer/dryer combo) and found that the screws in the washer were rusty. Anything that rubbed up against them ended up with that streak..
Bree said:
We had long streaks of 'rust' on the sheets (narrowing it down to one washer/dryer combo) and found that the screws in the washer were rusty. Anything that rubbed up against them ended up with that streak.
Only one washer and dryer. I (so far) have only noticed it on towels.

We had long streaks of 'rust' on the sheets (narrowing it down to one washer/dryer combo) and found that the screws in the washer were rusty. Anything that rubbed up against them ended up with that streak..
Bree said:
In a way, it sounds like the towels are sitting on something round that is rusty. But, in my case, I was able to get a lot, but not all of the stains out using a rust remover. They're all out now but it was about 2 years ago this happened so a lot of laundry under the bridge in that time.

Bree said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
Well, you can start by narrowing it down to either the washer or the dryer.
Does it happen every load? Or do you only notice it every so often? I'm assuming it has something to do with the washer, but you never know. I would check your loads of laundry while switching them from the washer to the dryer to confirm that it is indeed the washer.
How old is your washing machine and how often (if ever) do you clean it? Many people don't think to clean such things as their washing machine, dish washer, and the like...but sometimes it is necessary. http://ezinearticles.com/?Cleaning-Your-Washing-Machine&id=109993
Hope that helps.

We had something similar and it ended up being a belt not working properly in the dryer, things were sitting too long and pushing against a screw head and because they were wet the rust-like stain was showing up. The best results for removing them were to wash in warm water, than put white vinegar on the spots and blot with a paper towel. Some of the spots took repeated treating to remove, just don't put them in the dryer between washes until you get all the spots out.

I was having the same problem before I bought new laundry equipment.

Bree said:
Does it happen every load? Or do you only notice it every so often? I'm assuming it has something to do with the washer, but you never know. I would check your loads of laundry while switching them from the washer to the dryer to confirm that it is indeed the washer.
How old is your washing machine and how often (if ever) do you clean it? Many people don't think to clean such things as their washing machine, dish washer, and the like...but sometimes it is necessary. http://ezinearticles.com/?Cleaning-Your-Washing-Machine&id=109993
Hope that helps.
arodriq said:
Hope that helps.
My machines are Bosch and only about 3 years old. Its true, it never occured to me to clean them. You would think they would be self cleaning with all that constant soap and water.

There was a thread on this forum back in Feb. called "rust spot on towels" - check it out - maybe your question is answered there....

Bree said:
Hope that helps.
arodriq said:
Hope that helps.
My machines are Bosch and only about 3 years old. Its true, it never occured to me to clean them. You would think they would be self cleaning with all that constant soap and water.
YUK! CLeaning is necessary especially with front loaders. There was a big news story on them in D.C. last week about all the mold and mildew build up in the new front loaders causing all sorts of horrible smells. :-( I don't have a front loader but every so often we really do a full out bleaching of it to get rid of accumulated buildup etc.

I bought a product called Iron Out that is supposed to remove rust stains from laundy....and it didn't, so I suppose its not a metal based stain.
Its driving me batty. I just can't figure out what it is or where its coming from.
I have resorted to this method:
BangHeadHere.gif

We had a similar problem in the past. Our spots were small, almost perfectly round and about the size of the holes in the washer drum. In fact, if I slowly pulled the towels out of the drum, I could see that the spots matched with the holes.
To remove the spots, we use two products; "White Brite" or "Yellow Out", both can be purchased on-line if your local store does not carry them. Spots are easy to remover if you catch them prior to drying, the heat will help set the stains so they are more difficult to remove. Use about one cup of the product (no detergent, no bleach) and let the towels sit in this until the spots are gone. For towels that have dried, I have sometimes needed to soak overnight but I have rarely found a spot that these products could not remove. After the spots hve been removed, add a little detergent, wash, rinse and soften as usual.
As a note, chlorine bleach will not work and in fact, makes the situation worse. Also, remove the towels immediately after the final spin, the longer the length of time that the towels remained in contact with the holes in the drum, the sorse the spots were.
Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be!
Cape Cod Curmudgeon

I have had a problem with colored towels (shades of brown/tan) getting bleach spots. (While cleaning, I even discolored a pair of my grey sweats, unsure how THAT happened!) I have been using a 1:14 bleach solution to clean lately, and even test sprayed some on those same pants, but that didn't bleach them. I don't use bleach in my laundry. I have had some red/brick towels that I have washed/used hundreds of times, but they don't have one bleach spot on them!

I have had a problem with colored towels (shades of brown/tan) getting bleach spots. (While cleaning, I even discolored a pair of my grey sweats, unsure how THAT happened!) I have been using a 1:14 bleach solution to clean lately, and even test sprayed some on those same pants, but that didn't bleach them. I don't use bleach in my laundry. I have had some red/brick towels that I have washed/used hundreds of times, but they don't have one bleach spot on them!.
Other than that you did this to your own clothes, my guess would be it isn't bleach from the laundry but something the guest is using like a peroxide-based face cleaner.

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!... I think
In the washer was a staple gun staple that was lodged in between 2 holes in the revolving drum. I dislodged it with a pliers and it was old and rusty. I think I found my culprit....but the thing that still bugs me is .... if it was rust, why didn't the iron out remove it???

In the washer was a staple gun staple that was lodged in between 2 holes in the revolving drum. I dislodged it with a pliers and it was old and rusty. I think I found my culprit....but the thing that still bugs me is .... if it was rust, why didn't the iron out remove it???.
Staples are not standard iron compound - not like nails & screws.

In the washer was a staple gun staple that was lodged in between 2 holes in the revolving drum. I dislodged it with a pliers and it was old and rusty. I think I found my culprit....but the thing that still bugs me is .... if it was rust, why didn't the iron out remove it???.
gillumhouse said:
I don't know what they are made of, but what I found was certainly rusty. What else could it be???

gillumhouse said:
I don't know what they are made of, but what I found was certainly rusty. What else could it be???
Not saying the satple was not your problem - I was giving a possible reason why the Iron-out did not work. Staples DO rust and get yucky.

Back