Calling Inn out of business?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBanczak

Reaction score
Just heard that they announced they are going out of business. Kind of surprised as I thought they had a pretty good customer base, customer service. Was anyone on the forum using them? I know a number of Rezo customers had used them and seemed like a good product.

We considered using them at the beginning. Unfortunately they were unwilling to learn our Inn details and had a specific cut and dried approach to dealing with callers that didn't include the suble nuaces that innkeepers provide. They weren't interested in hearing about our unique qualities, nor willing to have their staff do more than read a description off a piece of paper. It just wasn't going to work for us.

We had info on the old A forum about this company. I think most of us said "Why bother we have online bookings when we are out of town"

I never saw much use for them and wondered who would use them. I just saw them as an extra expense which was not needed. Most people just use the on line reservations these days.

I never saw much use for them and wondered who would use them. I just saw them as an extra expense which was not needed. Most people just use the on line reservations these days..
That would (no doubt) explain their demise.

We have a local inn with 10 rooms and a single woman as the Innkeeper. She uses them as her answering service during breakfast and check-in, and when she was out running errands. When we've had overflow I've talked to those folks...you could always tell it was a service, the people answering the phone didn't know specifics about the inn. I suppose for last-minute callers it would be helpful because they could tell you what was available. With the increase in online bookings it just seems like an out-of-date service.

We had a discussion some time ago about the importance of telephone etiquette and establishing a rapport with guests from the get go. I understand the possible need for an answering service, but that somewhat depersonalizes the initial exchange. Of course that's exactly what you get with online reservations.

They did have a dedicated customer base, but unfortunately it wasn't large enough to meet monthly company expenses.
Confirmed rumours said that employees of the company were given less than a day's notice in regards to the company closing down and them all being out of jobs, and most of the innkeepers themselves were given only about an hour's notice to let them know their service was being cut off.

disgruntled employee ? can we assume you used to work for them?

Hello! The original Calling Inn did shut down in 2009 but was reopened by MAP Communications, Inc. not long after that.

Under new ownership, Calling Inn is stronger than ever as we continue to build our alliances with B&B's nationwide.

We are the hospitality industry's ONLY dedicated B&B answering service and you can check us out at www.callinginn.com. If you would like more information or have any questions I'll be happy to speak with you personally or you can email me at [email protected] My direct line is 1-800-627-2962. Thanks everyone!

Mindy Adams

I have call diversion if I am out and about but to be honest i get maybe 3 calls a day if that that are actually B&B booking related (ie not telemarketers) so wouldn't be worth it.

I have call diversion if I am out and about but to be honest i get maybe 3 calls a day if that that are actually B&B booking related (ie not telemarketers) so wouldn't be worth it..
Hi there! For most B&B's, it's not only about catching the reservation calls but acquiring your freedom back. All of you are unique with different requirements so we have the ability to customize your scripting and call handling based on what you need. I'm not sure what you charge as far as room rates, but a B&B can join our service for as low as $99 per month. To most, the cost is minimal if we catch 1 or 2 reservations that they would've missed by not answering. To others the cost of their freedom is priceless! :)

Sorry calling inn, and you have been tagging me as an inn on social media of late, but we have cell phones and online reservations. Unless there is a huge gap like going overseas for a month, we won't need to use your services.

Sorry calling inn, and you have been tagging me as an inn on social media of late, but we have cell phones and online reservations. Unless there is a huge gap like going overseas for a month, we won't need to use your services..
Hi Joey, we have a mutual friend on FB but I checked and we are not connected. I'll be happy to be friends with you! As for Inns and B&Bs, there are various reasons for what drives them to use us. Freedom away from the phones OR trying to make sure they catch every opportunity that comes their way. It's a simple concept that enhances peoples lives. As with everything, Calling Inn may not be for everyone. I do appreciate your feedback and am always willing to speak with people about ways to enhance their lives so please call me or drop me an email if you ever need anything. Mindy

So far, several calls that require response have been received. I get an e-mail regarding every call they have taken. No reservations so far, but my Specials page states for the 2 big events in July that a phone reservation is required. Had 2 e-mails yesterday I guess - when I did not have a computer available regarding an online reservation that she wanted to verify since she could not tell if it went through. Told her it did not because we are totally booked - it was a 3-night in JUNE. I did suggest 2 alternates for her to try - WVBBA members. Pray I get some reservations so I can pay the bill!

So far, several calls that require response have been received. I get an e-mail regarding every call they have taken. No reservations so far, but my Specials page states for the 2 big events in July that a phone reservation is required. Had 2 e-mails yesterday I guess - when I did not have a computer available regarding an online reservation that she wanted to verify since she could not tell if it went through. Told her it did not because we are totally booked - it was a 3-night in JUNE. I did suggest 2 alternates for her to try - WVBBA members. Pray I get some reservations so I can pay the bill!.
Kathleen is that you? Are you sneaking on the internet when you're suppose to be in Germany enjoying yourself???!! Hope all is well, email me if you need anything and I hope you're having fun!
Mindy

So far, several calls that require response have been received. I get an e-mail regarding every call they have taken. No reservations so far, but my Specials page states for the 2 big events in July that a phone reservation is required. Had 2 e-mails yesterday I guess - when I did not have a computer available regarding an online reservation that she wanted to verify since she could not tell if it went through. Told her it did not because we are totally booked - it was a 3-night in JUNE. I did suggest 2 alternates for her to try - WVBBA members. Pray I get some reservations so I can pay the bill!.
Kathleen is that you? Are you sneaking on the internet when you're suppose to be in Germany enjoying yourself???!! Hope all is well, email me if you need anything and I hope you're having fun!
Mindy
Tis I. Today is laundry day. I have to check e-mail regularly. Online reservations, messages from Caling Inn, and city stuff plus communicating with my family make e-mail a must. If I am checking e-mail, I have to se what is happening on the Forum. Have been rare occasions that I did not have to put in my 2 cents.

I wrote to Calling Inn about my concerns. I do not know if I was not explicit enough regarding passing messages that required a call or what. I have received e-mails that a call to DH - even e-mailed the service when he got a new number on an old phone our daughter had, he said my phone was too complicated - would have resolved. I had given them my daughter's phone number also.
Update: they tape every call and gave me a report. that is a nice touch that protects them AND gives a review for more info to the customer. The return calls was my fault - I did not use the correct e-mail address - the 3-night did not book because I was too far away after a day of drinking (true, 1 mile is too far), Margaret is a ditherer (my assessment) and she is supposed to call back today with cc#, and the third one was just a lookie-loo for rates with no set dates in mind. Gave it to them this morning (your night). This was something new for me - all the way (trip, call rvice, etc)

Back