Calling Steve on the...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briarrosebb

Reaction score
Calling Steve on the relationship between "secondary page" pagerank and "home page" pagerank.
Context
  1. We have always tried to get our backlinks pointed to our homepage, partly because it's simpler.
  2. I have never noticed a secondary page on a site having a higher page rank than the home page pagerank.
Question
Should significant effort be devoted to pointing backlinks at secondary pages?
Comments
It is quite difficult to get backlinks from high pagerank pages. I've always felt that given this difficulty we should try to draw maximum benefit from the backlink by pointing it at the home page. However, given context note #2, I wonder whether a substantial portion of the authority Google assigns to the secondary page also gets substantially posted to the benefit of the homepage. This may be indirect in that the site's authority is partly based on how much authority all of the site's pages have in the google index.
What do you think?
Is there a more accurate word than "google index"?

Secondary pages can have higher toolbar-PR than the home page for a site, but in most cases it is pretty rare. It is just not how people promote their websites. Very few companies build a site and then build all their incoming links point to interior pages.
Secondary pages should have links built to them if they warrant having links built to them. If you have a great page on "Attractions in [your town]" then get some places to link to those attractions. If there is a special place in the area that you can describe and promote better than anyone else is doing, by all means it is worth it...and quite likely people will link to it because it is a good resource.
If you are going after building links to your site. Go for links that make sense and are on target for the topic of the site linking to you. For example: having a winery link to your home page is not as effective (in terms of search engines) as having that winery link to your wine tour page, or your winery list page.
There is also the benefit of creating pages that businesses are more likely to link to. For example, a ocal antique store may have no interest in linking to my B&B home page, but they might be interested in linking to my page that shows and lists all the antique stores in the area. So there is definitely benefit from having them link to a deep page as opposed to not linking to any page.
toolbar-PR (and actual PR) is passed from the one page in question, to all pages that the page links to, so there is a benefit to the home page of your site if someone links to one of your secondary pages, provided that the secondary page has a link that points to your home page. Does it have more benefit for your home page than if they linked to your home page directly? No. But it does have more benefit to your secondary page, than if they linked to your home page.
"Authority" is a bit of a fuzzy concept, but authority is thought to be largely separate from toolbar-PR and actual-PR. Authority seems to be topic specific which would make it disconnected from PR which is about links without regard for topic.
Building the site for the bots will drive you batty. Build the site to be of value for potential visitors AND to have attractive content on multiple pages that will attract traffic and links from multiple sources.

Secondary pages can have higher toolbar-PR than the home page for a site, but in most cases it is pretty rare. It is just not how people promote their websites. Very few companies build a site and then build all their incoming links point to interior pages.
Secondary pages should have links built to them if they warrant having links built to them. If you have a great page on "Attractions in [your town]" then get some places to link to those attractions. If there is a special place in the area that you can describe and promote better than anyone else is doing, by all means it is worth it...and quite likely people will link to it because it is a good resource.
If you are going after building links to your site. Go for links that make sense and are on target for the topic of the site linking to you. For example: having a winery link to your home page is not as effective (in terms of search engines) as having that winery link to your wine tour page, or your winery list page.
There is also the benefit of creating pages that businesses are more likely to link to. For example, a ocal antique store may have no interest in linking to my B&B home page, but they might be interested in linking to my page that shows and lists all the antique stores in the area. So there is definitely benefit from having them link to a deep page as opposed to not linking to any page.
toolbar-PR (and actual PR) is passed from the one page in question, to all pages that the page links to, so there is a benefit to the home page of your site if someone links to one of your secondary pages, provided that the secondary page has a link that points to your home page. Does it have more benefit for your home page than if they linked to your home page directly? No. But it does have more benefit to your secondary page, than if they linked to your home page.
"Authority" is a bit of a fuzzy concept, but authority is thought to be largely separate from toolbar-PR and actual-PR. Authority seems to be topic specific which would make it disconnected from PR which is about links without regard for topic.
Building the site for the bots will drive you batty. Build the site to be of value for potential visitors AND to have attractive content on multiple pages that will attract traffic and links from multiple sources..
"Building the site for the bots will drive you batty. Build the site to be of value for potential visitors AND to have attractive content on multiple pages that will attract traffic and links from multiple sources. "
I sure agree here...bots don't put heads in the beds. An attractive and well designed and easy to navigate site is what attracts REAL PEOPLE to you!!!!! And, have lots of GOOD photos. IF you have a good site, guests will come and they don't care where the bots put you in Google.
kiss.gif

Steve, thanks for your thoughtful reply. We do somewhat design for the googlebot. This is based on our experience of seeing crappy websites rank highly and figuring out how they do it. It's a balancing act between good content and content you think will perform well in google. There's so much ambiguity in how google works that you never know when compromising your content is worthwhile or not. We do compromise situationally. Anyway, we do alright on our search engine marketing efforts.

Steve, thanks for your thoughtful reply. We do somewhat design for the googlebot. This is based on our experience of seeing crappy websites rank highly and figuring out how they do it. It's a balancing act between good content and content you think will perform well in google. There's so much ambiguity in how google works that you never know when compromising your content is worthwhile or not. We do compromise situationally. Anyway, we do alright on our search engine marketing efforts..
I have to tell you again..because I think i told you when you first asked for opinions about your site. The Design will get you guests...bots will not...and you need to improve your design a bit.

Steve, thanks for your thoughtful reply. We do somewhat design for the googlebot. This is based on our experience of seeing crappy websites rank highly and figuring out how they do it. It's a balancing act between good content and content you think will perform well in google. There's so much ambiguity in how google works that you never know when compromising your content is worthwhile or not. We do compromise situationally. Anyway, we do alright on our search engine marketing efforts..
I have to tell you again..because I think i told you when you first asked for opinions about your site. The Design will get you guests...bots will not...and you need to improve your design a bit.
I said it will drive you batty, but I wouldn't say don't do it. The bots will bring traffic, and you absolutely need that. The photos and easy navigation and appearance are what close the deal. You do need both, or you end up spending a lot more in advertising. over the years. As Briarrose said, it is a balancing act.

I said it will drive you batty, but I wouldn't say don't do it. The bots will bring traffic, and you absolutely need that. The photos and easy navigation and appearance are what close the deal. You do need both, or you end up spending a lot more in advertising. over the years. As Briarrose said, it is a balancing act.
Yes it is a balancing act..but why be so ALL CONSUMED with this GOOGLE thing????
Do what is necessary, but why go to such extremes???? This site refers to B & B's and hotels practically in the same sentence...all to suplicate GOOGLE search bots or others??? Does not make good sense to me if I were reading the site to find a place to stay. I either want a hotel or I want a B & B..it can't be both.
Take care of your guests, provide EXCELLENT hospitality and service and it will do more than a zillion pages for a google bot to view in my personal opinion.
I would want a nice looking site that appeals to my potential guests.

Good morning, Catlady -
I meant to respond to you weeks ago, but I got a lot of feedback on our new website and consequently chose to limit my responses. Your primary critique that we are confusing the B&B and hotel identities is, of course, true. We introduced this in August to encourage crossover business from hotel guests. This change to our marketing message has worked as we are having record months since then.
The simple fact is that in our town (with a population of 100,000) the demand for hotel rooms is 40 to 50 times that for B&Bs. I don't think that is atypical. B&Bs are not for everyone, and B&Bs do not want everyone. But there is a portion of the guests that demand the hotel rooms who will be welcome at B&Bs and we are trying to welcome them.
We think we can afford to mess with our B&B identity for two reasons: a) the first impression on the website immediately says "bed and breakfast" through the logo and the main picture, and b) we are the only property in town that commits to "bed and breakfast" in the name.
I think the typical occupancy for a B&B is less than 50% annualized. This was true for our B&B in the 1990s and early 2000s. We think occupancy of 70% is possible with the crossover hotel business. We wish we didn't have to confuse the identity, but the economic consequences unmistakably make it necessary.

Good morning, Catlady -
I meant to respond to you weeks ago, but I got a lot of feedback on our new website and consequently chose to limit my responses. Your primary critique that we are confusing the B&B and hotel identities is, of course, true. We introduced this in August to encourage crossover business from hotel guests. This change to our marketing message has worked as we are having record months since then.
The simple fact is that in our town (with a population of 100,000) the demand for hotel rooms is 40 to 50 times that for B&Bs. I don't think that is atypical. B&Bs are not for everyone, and B&Bs do not want everyone. But there is a portion of the guests that demand the hotel rooms who will be welcome at B&Bs and we are trying to welcome them.
We think we can afford to mess with our B&B identity for two reasons: a) the first impression on the website immediately says "bed and breakfast" through the logo and the main picture, and b) we are the only property in town that commits to "bed and breakfast" in the name.
I think the typical occupancy for a B&B is less than 50% annualized. This was true for our B&B in the 1990s and early 2000s. We think occupancy of 70% is possible with the crossover hotel business. We wish we didn't have to confuse the identity, but the economic consequences unmistakably make it necessary..
I think you do the B & B industry a disservice by trying to claim both identities. If all you are interested in is the "heads in beds" that comes from using the hotel identity then call yourselves a Boutique Hotel. The hotels are causing enough havoc for us poor innkeepers with their "bed & breakfast experience" crap. This really is not something I see as being able to be a fence sitter on.
People who like a B & B may be disappointed to discover it is a hotel and I know there are people who do not like a B & B (they LIKE the anonymity of a hotel) so they think they are getting a hotel and find a B & Bish atmosphere. Never having been there, I cannot, of course, say what you really are. All I know is, I personally resent a B & B being confused with a hotel, especially when it is a supposed B & B person doing it. Just my opinion.

Yes it is a balancing act..but why be so ALL CONSUMED with this GOOGLE thing????
Do what is necessary, but why go to such extremes???? This site refers to B & B's and hotels practically in the same sentence...all to suplicate GOOGLE search bots or others??? Does not make good sense to me if I were reading the site to find a place to stay. I either want a hotel or I want a B & B..it can't be both.
Take care of your guests, provide EXCELLENT hospitality and service and it will do more than a zillion pages for a google bot to view in my personal opinion.
but why be so ALL CONSUMED with this GOOGLE thing????
Survival for some, the challenge for others, and finances for others. Here is one way to think about it. I have a client that spends ~$7,000 per year in advertising in with the major directories and Google still delivers more than 60% of their conversion into guests. So that means they getting more from search engines than they are for all the advertising dollars they are spending. So in terms of perceived value the search engine traffic from Google alone is equivalent to ~$10,000 in advertising.
Another way to think about it is in terms of rooms. If a three bedroom inn and a 10 bedroom inn are both each the top two listings in a directory like iloveinns. They are likely to see pretty equal numbers of traffic from that directory, but the 10 room inn needs more than three times the amount of traffic. So the directory may provide enough traffic to keep the 3 room place afloat, but it may not provide enough to keep the 10 room in afloat. You have to find more sources for traffic. Once you've joined as many directories as possible (as it looks like Briarrose has) then you still need more from the well .... Search engine traffic is a good source.
Investing in developing more pages can help bring that traffic....and at some point you get to where you have enough traffic, then you can start backing down on the amount of directories and other advertising you are paying for...so again it becomes a cost savings (similar to the difference between buying a home or renting a home).

Survival for some, the challenge for others, and finances for others. Here is one way to think about it. I have a client that spends ~$7,000 per year in advertising in with the major directories and Google still delivers more than 60% of their conversion into guests. So that means they getting more from search engines than they are for all the advertising dollars they are spending. So in terms of perceived value the search engine traffic from Google alone is equivalent to ~$10,000 in advertising.
Another way to think about it is in terms of rooms. If a three bedroom inn and a 10 bedroom inn are both each the top two listings in a directory like iloveinns. They are likely to see pretty equal numbers of traffic from that directory, but the 10 room inn needs more than three times the amount of traffic. So the directory may provide enough traffic to keep the 3 room place afloat, but it may not provide enough to keep the 10 room in afloat. You have to find more sources for traffic. Once you've joined as many directories as possible (as it looks like Briarrose has) then you still need more from the well .... Search engine traffic is a good source.
Investing in developing more pages can help bring that traffic....and at some point you get to where you have enough traffic, then you can start backing down on the amount of directories and other advertising you are paying for...so again it becomes a cost savings (similar to the difference between buying a home or renting a home).
I understand what you are saying, but it all just seems like too much. My 3 bedroom place could never afford that kind of advertising budget...if we cleared that in a year I would have been happy:) ANother reason I said, "time to retire"

Speaking of tracking conversions...do you do that in conjunction with SI pages? What Google code did you have to use? I realized too late that I thought I just needed the same code I had on my pages. I DO show SI pages in Google Analytics, but the continuity is broken. I can't see where the guest found the original entry point.

Speaking of tracking conversions...do you do that in conjunction with SI pages? What Google code did you have to use? I realized too late that I thought I just needed the same code I had on my pages. I DO show SI pages in Google Analytics, but the continuity is broken. I can't see where the guest found the original entry point.
I track them as a goal in Google Analytics. The goal is incomplete as you can't tell if they bail out part way through the process of making a reservation but at least it gives you details of people attempting to reserve. SuperInn ought to make it easy to simply enter your Analytics ID and have it track all the way through....but they don't (sigh).

I track them as a goal in Google Analytics. The goal is incomplete as you can't tell if they bail out part way through the process of making a reservation but at least it gives you details of people attempting to reserve. SuperInn ought to make it easy to simply enter your Analytics ID and have it track all the way through....but they don't (sigh).
swirt said:
So do you use as your goal the fact that someone clicked over to SI?
I'm going to reread the Google section on how to track from one site to a different payment site. I think that might be the code I need. But it has to be installed on every page on my site. (Damn, there's that CSS problem again!)

swirt said:
So do you use as your goal the fact that someone clicked over to SI?
I'm going to reread the Google section on how to track from one site to a different payment site. I think that might be the code I need. But it has to be installed on every page on my site. (Damn, there's that CSS problem again!)
Yes I have it as a goal to track if someone has clicked the link to check availability/make a reservation.
This is the Google Help section on tracking outbound links. (you have to know whether you are using new or older versions of analytics as the code is different)

Back