Can’t remember the exact quote

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
I can’t find it, but recently Morticia quoted a friend saying something like, “My bucket of happy is nearly empty.”
This morning, I decided my bucket of happy has a big rusted out hole in it!

So very sorry to hear that. The sun is shining, I opened my eyes, and sucked air, AND I get to live in West Virginia. My bucket over-flows, Yes, I know I am blessed. I hope your bucket refills very soon.

Like Gillum, I generally feel blessed with life and where/how I live. I believe I've heard Gillum say "may you be as busy as you want to be" or something along that line. Perhaps I'm blessed by having enough, but not too much business, too much can be as bad as not enough on the happiness scale.

Beach House, At the end of October (the end of our busy season) I feel the same way. I'm happy, but exhausted. I've learned over the years to take a few days off and do things that I want to do, like spend time with friends and family, hike, sew, sleep, read, bike, get a massage, or anything that restores my soul and has nothing to do with work. It takes a while until I feel like myself again. In this business we do a lot of giving. It's important to refill our own bucket. Hope you're back to yourself soon.

my bucket of happy has a big rusted out hole in it!

Hugs. Like others have suggested, if you can carve out a day or two, just to sleep in, see some non-needy friends, and just sit for awhile non-interrupted, it can help to get through the next onslaught.
If you can, look on your calendar and block out a week. You deserve it.

My bucket of nice is almost empty.
Definitely laughed out loud!
I always thought your bucket of nice was a half-pint jelly jar -- that's why you've been my innspiration all these years.

Definitely laughed out loud!
I always thought your bucket of nice was a half-pint jelly jar -- that's why you've been my innspiration all these years.
Ha ha ha!
That’s not my expression, it’s a friend’s.

What I needed to hear. 💕💕. Still, looking forward to closing for a few months. 💗🍸

It sounds like you are overworked for sure. I remember that feeling and don’t miss it one bit. Cutting back was the best decision we ever made. Maybe you can use your weariness as incentive to restructure next summer!

I have decided I want to slow down - SO no ads, no real marketing other than posting on Instagram which goes to FB & Twit. And my website of course. What happened? I am busier than ever! I cannot understand it. All those years of ads, trying to increase business and mostly zilch - now not looking and busy.

I have decided I want to slow down - SO no ads, no real marketing other than posting on Instagram which goes to FB & Twit. And my website of course. What happened? I am busier than ever! I cannot understand it. All those years of ads, trying to increase business and mostly zilch - now not looking and busy.
I tend to wonder with the events of the last year or so if folks feel life could be shorter that they thought and decided to take the time to travel and enjoy before it became too late.

I tend to wonder with the events of the last year or so if folks feel life could be shorter that they thought and decided to take the time to travel and enjoy before it became too late.
That’s our take. We are setting records every day. Some is that some inns in the area closed. But most is people traveling closer to home and finding new places to see.

In the last week I have had guests from PA, NY, OH, Michigan, and both western and extreme eastern Virginia. The Missouri guys do not count because they were here for work. Made my herb bread yesterday and this morning - guess folks like it because every time I make it they ask if they can take the rest of their bread with them (each guest gets a 3x5 loaf - so I get out the zip bags. they also get a 6x6 pastry box with mini-muffins from breakfast. I make a full recipe if I have more than 1 couple. A half recipe gives breakfast and the "care package" for 1 couple..

Our season is only 4 months.After month 3 and several thousand guests my wife and I are running out happy gas...Its that time that we must take a seat on our deck and look at the beauty and environment and realize it's all just a gift.

The Missouri guys do not count because they were here for work.
What? They still had to find you and will send money in your town. They are like any other tourist: good for the community.

No, they were doing work for the City. The Public Works Supervisor brought them over. they were led over here.
So your efforts paid off with the PW supervisor, and the workers will spend money in town. Still a tourism win. They count as tourists. Here in Ark, I'd have to pay state tourism lodging sales tax on them, just like any other visitor/tourist.

Back