Can I have a menu?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Handed Jill

Reaction score
Heard that and should have thought, "Uh oh." Um, no menu...your breakfast is made. Guest did respond, Oh, I bet it's on your website. I should have looked.
They didn't seem to care for it, asked for some toast & butter. Easily done.
At least, everything I served has been a winner with anyone & everyone else I've served it to. I know you can't please everyone, but it's hard not to second guess yourself.

Hey, don't second guess yourself! You know your breakfasts rock!
It is so dang funny...I mean we are here so often with this same issue, let's face the music y'all there are unhappy people out there, the world is full of them. We hope they enjoy all of our hard work and effort, but if they don't...they don't. Please don't let it get to you, you know you gave so much and served them a delicious breakfast. Asking for a menu is a red flag at a B&B... Hang in there!

They flat out said they should have read it...they knew better but hoped to get away with it. Don't let it get you down, you can't please all of the people all of the time. You were able to give them what they asked for and I'm sure they were satisfied with that, and if not there's not much you can do.

Funny, even tho we tell the guests, show the guests and talk to the guests about what is for breakfast tomorrow, in the morning we still get, 'So, what's for breakfast?' or, 'I'll have...for my breakfast.'
I've had guests walk over to the little island we have between the kitchen and the dining room and ask, 'Is this where I order my breakfast?'
I know we do a lot of 'on the job training' for B&B newbies.
And the number of times I've heard, 'So, do I come in there and serve myself?' would boggle the mind.
And guests who walk right thru the dining room and into the living room and say, 'So this must be where we eat breakfast,' is also boggling.
How long are they staying? Hopefully they are straightened out on the whole 'what's for breakfast' thing.

Only one night. Funny, a lady just called who kept saying things like we don't need breakfast, you don't need to get up. I let her know I'll be up whether she even comes or not, and she's welcome to eat or not eat, up to her...and it comes out she's a vegetarian and didn't want to put me out. I would have hugged her if we hadn't been talking over the phone LOL.

Only one night. Funny, a lady just called who kept saying things like we don't need breakfast, you don't need to get up. I let her know I'll be up whether she even comes or not, and she's welcome to eat or not eat, up to her...and it comes out she's a vegetarian and didn't want to put me out. I would have hugged her if we hadn't been talking over the phone LOL..
Red Handed Jill said:
Only one night. Funny, a lady just called who kept saying things like we don't need breakfast, you don't need to get up. I let her know I'll be up whether she even comes or not, and she's welcome to eat or not eat, up to her...and it comes out she's a vegetarian and didn't want to put me out. I would have hugged her if we hadn't been talking over the phone LOL.
Amazing how they think no one else will be there...'Oh, honey, you can sleep in tomorrow!'
I have said, 'Hmmm, are you making breakfast for everyone else?'

Only one night. Funny, a lady just called who kept saying things like we don't need breakfast, you don't need to get up. I let her know I'll be up whether she even comes or not, and she's welcome to eat or not eat, up to her...and it comes out she's a vegetarian and didn't want to put me out. I would have hugged her if we hadn't been talking over the phone LOL..
Red Handed Jill said:
Amazing how they think no one else will be there...'Oh, honey, you can sleep in tomorrow!'
I think that they're just trying to be nice. They probably think that even having any fewer people at breakfast will help us out. And sometimes when there's a full house, that might be true! LOL!
teeth_smile.gif

lol.........the silly conversation starters......
that's pretty much all it is.......but yeah........hearing them over and over wears you down.
And those nice gestures where it is imagined that they in some magnanimous way would be a monumental relief to you...............yeah, lol........love those.............................however, at least they were thinking.

Red Handed Jill said:
Funny, a lady just called who kept saying things like we don't need breakfast, you don't need to get up.
Adorable.

I had a guest last weekend who asked what I was serving for breakfast that morning. When I told him the choice was between a mushroom omelet or waffles and said he'd have scrambled eggs and his wife would have pancakes. grrrr.

Red Handed Jill said:
[/quote]
This part really cracks me up... sure, we don't need to drive anyone else to the ferry at 6am or the flight at 6:30am or even if we don't we are up & out walking dogs, cleaning OUR house upstairs, answering emails, etc. all PRIOR to 8:30 when we are "available" for YOU. lol! Sleep in-haha!

I had a guest last weekend who asked what I was serving for breakfast that morning. When I told him the choice was between a mushroom omelet or waffles and said he'd have scrambled eggs and his wife would have pancakes. grrrr..
I had that once. Everyone else in the dining room was eating french toast, this guy could see that and he says,' I'll just have eggs.' To which I said, 'No you won't, you'll have french toast like everyone else.' (It was a very stressful morning with his whole family up at the same taking over the dining room. And he wasn't even staying with us, he just walked over to see them!)
I think sometimes you have to add, 'WHICH of those two options shall I make for you?'

Country Girl " I had a guest last weekend who asked what I was serving for breakfast that morning. When I told him the choice was between a mushroom omelet or waffles and said he'd have scrambled eggs and his wife would have pancakes. grrrr."
That is why I do not offer a choice, because once you open the door some think it becomes a free for all!

We don't offer a choice either, although we do ask upon reservation (if they call in) if they really despise something or if they are allergic. No, even if we give them a menu of what we will be serving for breakfast each day they are there most don't read it.
Its as if they think its a restaurant, and if we gave them two choices it would just create an a la carte thing.

Back