Can maple syrup go off?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I buy maple syrup and use it, like y'all do, it does not sit around much. My parents gave us some VT maple syrup as a gift, and I just tried some and it tastes funny. Not quite sure how to describe it.
Can it go off? It was in a plastic maple style jug with seal that may have been slightly broken. As I twisted it there was no resistance.

I don't know if it can go bad, but I wouldn't use it. If the seal was broken, there could be anything in there.

Not sure if it was broken or just weak. My parents, bless their hearts, acted like it was the first time they had seen maple syrup...they are not involved in our business, as you can tell. We serve it all the time.

I know that syrup from different areas in the country taste different. The maple syrup from the NE tastes WAY different than the stuff we made here in the Midwest this year. It has to do with the acidity in the soil and how close to the surface the bedrock is. Maybe it was just a "regional" taste??

Maybe it's a different grade from what you are used to? If it's been open and exposed to the air, it could taste odd. How does it look?

oh! i hope it wasn't a big jug!
i used to buy real maple syrup by the gallon and it had to be refrigerated after opening. if the seal was accidentally broken a little, and the syrup not refrigerated, it will get moldy and ferment. if it tastes a little funny, i would toss it because the process may have started. sort of like wine that's been opened ... after a bit, it starts to go.
you can keep sealed syrup for about 3 years, opened, in the fridge or freezer, about a year.

Yes and no.
Maple syrup can have a film on the top, and the film can even seem like it's moldy, but you can skim it off and the rest of the batch is fine. Keeping it in the fridge can help to prevent that.
Syrups from different parts of the country definitely taste different... as well as different batches in the same area. The earlier runs are more clear (Grade A) and the later runs are darker and eventually bitter (Grade B). Many gourmets prefer Grade B because it has a more robust maple flavor, and it's the grade used in commercial syrup mixes (you know, when the label says "contains real syrup" and it's 5% real stuff and the rest is all fake).
So your syrup is probably fine, it just tastes funny...
=)
Kk.

Oh, but it can go bad if it was not cooked to the proper temperature.
It's kind of tough to do syrup... if you get it too hot then you get sugar crystals.
Oh, and pretty much any syrup (no matter what grade or temperature cooked to) will form "sugar" in the bottom of the jar, regardless whether it's in the fridge or the cupboard, which are actually crystallized impurities (edible, but not as sweet as true maple sugar).
=)
Kk.

I didn't get sick. Because it is in a plastic jug I can't see the stuff (ie film etc) other than when I poured it onto my pecan pancakes. I might just toss it, I mean if it doesn't taste great what is the point! I think the seal must have been broken, not opened completely.

I didn't get sick. Because it is in a plastic jug I can't see the stuff (ie film etc) other than when I poured it onto my pecan pancakes. I might just toss it, I mean if it doesn't taste great what is the point! I think the seal must have been broken, not opened completely..
I had that once and I poured it into a clear container to see if there was mold

Seems to me I have also heard you can put Maple Syrup in the freezer, but it won't actually freeze. I will do more research on it - not sure why you would put it in the freezer if the fridge works just as well.

Guess I should have done the research 1st! Sorry - I'm still learning...
Does Maple Syrup Freeze?
This question is asked quite often and the answer is no. During the boiling process most of the water is evaporated leaving thicker syrup with high sugar content. Maple syrup is 69- 70 % sugar. By putting your extra maple syrup in the freezer you can prolong its quality and flavor. When you need more syrup just place your container on the shelf for two to three hours and fill your everyday container-then return your larger jug to the freezer.

Back