Can someone explain this to me - Frustration Revisited...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Why is that 10 miles away from me the insanely expensive and (overrated by some) ______________ Inn with rooms that range up to $450 per night is booked at about 80% occupancy both mid week and weekend and I offer very similar amenities (minus the much balihoo-ed sheep and goats) at half of their rates and I'm struggling? Why would this be?
They are in the country too, so that's not it. I been told by guests who have been to the other place, that I do a better breakfast.
Plus they are more local competition that I do. I just don't understand. *pouts*

Perception is everything. Obviously this place has something that attracts the high paying customer. Have you ever been there? If not, why not call and chat up the innkeeper and ask to come by for a visit. Bring some goodies with you :) :"catch more flies with honey"

Reputation & marketing? Is it all inclusive for that price - breakfast & dinner? Upscale furnishings & amenities? Lots of service?

Reputation & marketing? Is it all inclusive for that price - breakfast & dinner? Upscale furnishings & amenities? Lots of service?.
Not inclusive, breakfast only. Both of us have upscale furnishings and amenities. They are an old manor house with a grand parlor and a pastoral setting. Rumor has it they spend a thousand dollars a month in advertising. That seems extreme to me, but like I said, just word of mouth.

Reputation & marketing? Is it all inclusive for that price - breakfast & dinner? Upscale furnishings & amenities? Lots of service?.
Not inclusive, breakfast only. Both of us have upscale furnishings and amenities. They are an old manor house with a grand parlor and a pastoral setting. Rumor has it they spend a thousand dollars a month in advertising. That seems extreme to me, but like I said, just word of mouth.
Rumor has it they spend a thousand dollars a month in advertising.
You just got your answer. Marketing and advertising pay off if done right. I am not saying you have to spend $1000 per month, but you do need to market and advertise. Take some time and go to a news stand or at the grocery look through magazines they might advertise in (Brides maybe?) and do a Google on them to see where they show up. That should give you some clues where they are advertising.

You just got your answer. Marketing and advertising pay off if done right. I am not saying you have to spend $1000 per month, but you do need to market and advertise. Take some time and go to a news stand or at the grocery look through magazines they might advertise in (Brides maybe?) and do a Google on them to see where they show up. That should give you some clues where they are advertising.
gillumhouse said:
Good idea!

Bingo.

Pottery House said:
Round here it's Internet, Internet, Internet.
In Google type
LINK: www.therewebsite.com
and you'll get a list of all the sites they are linked from. Maybe see which you should be on also.
Go into Google and act like a guest, type in searches that you think your potential guests would be searching on and then get yourself on as many sites on page 1 and 2 as you can.
Marketing doesn't have to mean just spending. We grab any opportunity to get our name our there. We enter local tourism awards most years (we've even won one year), a national TV program is coming to do a piece on our garden this year cos I wrote to them, whenever we've acheived something like out Green Tourism status was upgraded to Gold I write to the local papers and tell them, email past guests and ask if they'll put a review on Trip Advisor and make sure you promote your reviews on your own web site.
I'm always on the lookout for an opportunity to promote our name
That link doesn't work :(

Pottery House said:
In Google type
and you'll get a list of all the sites they are linked from. Maybe see which you should be on also.
Go into Google and act like a guest, type in searches that you think your potential guests would be searching on and then get yourself on as many sites on page 1 and 2 as you can.
Marketing doesn't have to mean just spending. We grab any opportunity to get our name our there. We enter local tourism awards most years (we've even won one year), a national TV program is coming to do a piece on our garden this year cos I wrote to them, whenever we've acheived something like out Green Tourism status was upgraded to Gold I write to the local papers and tell them, email past guests and ask if they'll put a review on Trip Advisor and make sure you promote your reviews on your own web site.
That link doesn't work :(.
Works for me. You are putting in the colon ( : ) after "Link" aren't you?

In Google type
LINK: www.theirwebsite.com

Pottery House said:
In Google type
Yes. I got a link to "local naughty girls"

Pottery House said:
In Google type
Yes. I got a link to "local naughty girls"
You are replacing theirwebsite with the web site of your neighbours?

Oh duh! I thought you meant literally . . . .
embaressed_smile.gif

Do they have a lot of publicity in the newspapers, magazines, etc that you might need to get in on? We find that here in my town with a small group in another town. They hired a PR person and they are now in every regional magazine, newspaper story about my state, etc. Yes, it cost them some bucks to hire the PR person, but they're getting it back in spades.

A good friend of mine has repeatedly told me
"increase your rates, all you have to do to add value is have higher prices".
I have a specific clientel I wish to attract, so I am not doing it yet, but it is always in consideration.

I have a specific clientel I wish to attract, so I am not doing it yet, but it is always in consideration..
allnationsbnb said:
I have a specific clientel I wish to attract, so I am not doing it yet, but it is always in consideration.
Funny how that works. We just stayed at a place where the rates are incredibly low compared to the surrounding properties. The first time I wondered what was wrong with them! But I needed cheap, so that's where I went. And, I go back because it's perfectly ok. So now I wonder what I would get at the place that is 2.5x as much that I'm not getting at the place I go!
Prices really need to be in line with what the area commands. FD already gets the prima donnas, she should also get the pay!

I have a specific clientel I wish to attract, so I am not doing it yet, but it is always in consideration..
allnationsbnb said:
Funny how that works. We just stayed at a place where the rates are incredibly low compared to the surrounding properties. The first time I wondered what was wrong with them! But I needed cheap, so that's where I went. And, I go back because it's perfectly ok. So now I wonder what I would get at the place that is 2.5x as much that I'm not getting at the place I go!
Prices really need to be in line with what the area commands. FD already gets the prima donnas, she should also get the pay!
You would get air conditioning when it's HOT! ;-)

allnationsbnb said:

allnationsbnb said:
Yeah, probably, but for $200 I'll stick with the fan. There is at least a $200 difference for 2 nights. And, with a 14% rooms tax, it adds up!

Back