Can You See the Smoke...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NW BB

Reaction score
That's coming out of my ears because I'm so T'd OFF?????????? GGGGRRRRRRRRR!!!
My occupancy for a few days is overflowing...normally we have 8 guests, but there is a family of 4 in the cottage, so I'm feeding 10 adults. I have one person who is allergic to any nuts, one who is diabetic, and one who is very picky and won't eat anything with eggs. I've been stressing and wracking my brain on breakfasts they can all eat so I'm not making multiple entrees. We deliver breakfast to their doors, so I also have to choose items that transport well. The only time I do waffles or pancakes are when I have only 1 or 2 rooms....it's much too difficult to do those items and pack them, deliver them and make sure they're still hot when the guests get them.
This morning I got up early and did a special version of the entree for the eggless guy, and guess what. The idiot didn't even touch it!!!!! I can understand if somebody takes a taste and doesn't like it, but he didn't even do that! Oh yeah, these guests have been here once before, so on their webervations form requested I serve them Belgium waffles one day and french toast the next. When they arrived, I told them I could not do those specific dishes for them because of how many people I was feeding, but I would make sure he wouldn't get any eggs. Oh yeah, and she won't eat any "cereal" and he won't eat any oatmeal (these are two of my side dishes...it's one of my 4 courses which I rotate each day). They're driving me crazy.
I'm trying to KISS (keep it simple stupid), but this is too much.
I have 1 more breakfast to do for them tomorrow....help! I'm ready to go buy some toaster waffles!

Make the bread pudding without the eggs. Add an extra 2 T of milk per omitted egg. Use Splenda brownsugar or Sugar Twin - whatever and it should work for everyone. If you do not have ypgurt on hand for topping, give them maple syrup.

You're working too hard. In what other hotel in the world can you order made to order breakfasts? You should have a set menu of items for individuals with dietary needs PERIOD. Let these guests know in advance what these choices are. If they choose not to eat anything that you offer, then direct them to the nearest McDonalds. I don't think any of us offer guarantees concerning the breakfast only that we will TRY to accommodate special needs. But you do need to set limits or you'll go over budget and run yourself into the ground.
In the real world, people have to pick and choose from set menus. To custom prepare 10 breakfasts in crazy! You're coddling them and setting yourself up for this kind of treatment when and if they return.

That's when the, "due the the nature of your food requirements, please feel free to bring your own breakfast items" clause would apply. (We've done this with celiac guests, who could not chance eating "our food".) Along with the "may not be prepared in inn kitchen" or "Guests may not use inn kitchen" notice or whatever rules you have to abide by.

I agree....you're working harder, not smarter. As a guest, I would much rather:
A) Be suprised at breakfast, or at least not have to make a decision about what to have
B) Sit at the table with everyone else....that's half the charm of a B&B!

So the eggless guy wanted belgium waffles and French toast...what does he think they are made with???
I just think they wanted those sweet things and felt they would get them if they asked. It is very hard for some to grasp the consept of our business and that1-2 people can only do so much! That is why we have things 'planned' including breakfast items. It is the only way to keep sane.
The bread pudding idea may be a good one for you...except I would only use reg. Splenda... (Splenda Brownsugar is just a blend of Splenda & regular brownsugar) or just use a ramekin to cook the diabetic one, mixing Spenda for him, then adding brownsugar to the rest.

Hang in there! You are nearly done (til the next bunch roll in). Remember my guest a few weeks ago who informed me as I put the plate in front of her that she didn't eat eggs. I took flack from the forum on what I said next, as I asked her if it was an allergy and would she get ill or hives or something if they were "on" her plate? She said, no, she just won't eat them. I then explained the veggie, the diabetic, the I only eat high protein - low blood sugar- and the no wheat eaters we were having the next morning, and that it would not offend ME one bit if she just left them on the plate. I mean, same as yourself, I had to have this all planned in advance, shopping was done for the weekend for 13 guests.
Guess what everyone? I don't want eggs either! So what? I leave them on the plate, who cares. No big deal. I could not, and I would not, make special meals for the entire table of 13 guests. This is, per usual after the confirmation says to let us know in advance, and the webervations asks this. She was fine tho, she appreciated all the extra fruit (which was what I normally serve)/

I agree....you're working harder, not smarter. As a guest, I would much rather:
A) Be suprised at breakfast, or at least not have to make a decision about what to have
B) Sit at the table with everyone else....that's half the charm of a B&B!.
our B&B has the romance niche and we have made a very successful business by offering the private, relaxing environment along with the privacy that a lot of people really want. Our niche are honeymooner, people celebrating anniversaries and special occasions and the guests love the pampering of having breakfast delivered to their door. Most days I actually work less hard than those of you who have sit down breakfasts. I'm in the kitchen in my sweats, and never see a guest until after breakfast. It's great for me because I'm not really a morning person!
The situation that happened with this morning's breakfast is not because I deliver it.

I feel your pain! Who was it who just said that they fed the same breakfast to a whole family of picky eaters and said, 'It won't hurt my feelings if you don't eat everything on your plate,' and then left them to it?

I feel your pain! Who was it who just said that they fed the same breakfast to a whole family of picky eaters and said, 'It won't hurt my feelings if you don't eat everything on your plate,' and then left them to it?.
Bree said:
I feel your pain! Who was it who just said that they fed the same breakfast to a whole family of picky eaters and said, 'It won't hurt my feelings if you don't eat everything on your plate,' and then left them to it?
achem...and I will do that again too! It was something I had not thought of in nearly 6 years, it was a brain storm and it worked!! I even got a great TA review from that family!! TWO from that weekend - one from the "I don't eat eggs" and one from the gluten free, high protein, no sugar gal.

I feel your pain! Who was it who just said that they fed the same breakfast to a whole family of picky eaters and said, 'It won't hurt my feelings if you don't eat everything on your plate,' and then left them to it?.
Bree said:
achem...and I will do that again too! It was something I had not thought of in nearly 6 years, it was a brain storm and it worked!! I even got a great TA review from that family!! TWO from that weekend - one from the "I don't eat eggs" and one from the gluten free, high protein, no sugar gal.
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
OK, read my tag line...or read your own! You tried something new and got better results and ended the insanity all at once!

Bree said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
OK, read my tag line...or read your own! You tried something new and got better results and ended the insanity all at once!
Bree said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
You are trying to make me think, ouch. YES! Both tag lines...right on.

So the eggless guy wanted belgium waffles and French toast...what does he think they are made with???
I just think they wanted those sweet things and felt they would get them if they asked. It is very hard for some to grasp the consept of our business and that1-2 people can only do so much! That is why we have things 'planned' including breakfast items. It is the only way to keep sane.
The bread pudding idea may be a good one for you...except I would only use reg. Splenda... (Splenda Brownsugar is just a blend of Splenda & regular brownsugar) or just use a ramekin to cook the diabetic one, mixing Spenda for him, then adding brownsugar to the rest..
I just spoke with Mr. Picky Eater....no, he would not eat bread pudding. He now tells me that this time, they brought some food with them. He has cereal he eats. We discussed some fruits he will eat (limited) and I have some on hand, so tomorrow I will serve him some watermelon and english muffins with jam. He can suppliment his breakfast with his own cereal in his room. Voila! I would much rather come to terms with them like this than to have them dictate to me what I should serve them.
By the way, the entree I made this morning was croissants with Black Forest ham, & 3 cheeses. The normal recipe has you cut the croissant in half, layer the ham and cheese, then pour an egg/milk/nutmeg mixture over bottom and place top half back on. Bake about 20 minutes until egg/milk is cooked on bottom and cheese is melted. Mr. Picky Eater got his without the egg/milk mixture and he wouldn't touch it.....what's not to like about croissant, ham & cheese?

The bread pudding idea may be a good one for you...except I would only use reg. Splenda... (Splenda Brownsugar is just a blend of Splenda & regular brownsugar) or just use a ramekin to cook the diabetic one, mixing Spenda for him, then adding brownsugar to the rest..
Oh, and now he tells me that wifey is also diabetic. Nice match! He likes everything sugary and she can't have it.

Oh, and now he tells me that wifey is also diabetic. Nice match! He likes everything sugary and she can't have it.
NW BB said:
Jack Sprat and wife. See, even waaaaay back when opposites attracted.

NW BB said:
Sheesh.....and the guy is missing about 3 top front teeth! You'd think he'd be eating soft foods.

I just spoke with Mr. Picky Eater....no, he would not eat bread pudding. He now tells me that this time, they brought some food with them. He has cereal he eats. We discussed some fruits he will eat (limited) and I have some on hand, so tomorrow I will serve him some watermelon and english muffins with jam. He can suppliment his breakfast with his own cereal in his room. Voila! I would much rather come to terms with them like this than to have them dictate to me what I should serve them.
By the way, the entree I made this morning was croissants with Black Forest ham, & 3 cheeses. The normal recipe has you cut the croissant in half, layer the ham and cheese, then pour an egg/milk/nutmeg mixture over bottom and place top half back on. Bake about 20 minutes until egg/milk is cooked on bottom and cheese is melted. Mr. Picky Eater got his without the egg/milk mixture and he wouldn't touch it.....what's not to like about croissant, ham & cheese?
I think you absolutely hit the nail on the head...communication with the guest. In 4 years I have tried being a mind reader. It does not work! You have to talk to them about the restrictions. If you ask about restrictions on booking, then you imply to the guest you will try to work with them. But, in the case of so many comflicting dietary restrictions and restrictions on your own time, meeting them halfway is acceptable. Completely!
I have a carful of gals who have called 3 times already but have not booked. So, they are now 45 minutes closer to here but still haven't booked but they are trying to manipulate the breakfast. They don't like this and they don't like that. And I'm not running out NOW to go shopping so they're going to get whatever I can throw together with what's in the house already that meets their requirements (no bread-type brekkie). IF they book!
I think they're calling the other place back to see what's for breakfast there!

NW BB said:
Sheesh.....and the guy is missing about 3 top front teeth! You'd think he'd be eating soft foods.
NW BB said:
All that sugar...

NW BB said:
NW BB said:
All that sugar...
Ok, now I'm laughing my a** off! I never put 2 and 2 together!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

NW BB said:
My dad has no teeth and eats EVERYTHING! Even Big Macs, cookies, and Doritos, it makes me cringe thinking of those poor gums! The nursing home nurses are amazed.

Back