Can You Top This?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetiePie

Reaction score
What's the dumbest thing a guest has ever done?
This weekend one told me that he had taken a shower and the bathtub was slow in draining. I went and checked it out and sure enough there was about a foot of water in the tub. I removed the plug and voila, the water drained perfectly. Duh!

that's cute!
i don't like to call my guests 'dumb' but ...
i had a guest who was yanking on her door and hammering away on it, shouting that she was locked in. turns out, she had the security chain on ...
security.jpg
she kept yanking on the door and hollering through the space. in her panic, she just wasn't seeing the lock on her side. another guest was shouting back in to her, a few more joined the fun, and it was chaos. my son came running from upstairs, i came running from downstairs to see what the commotion was about.
it took my son saying (very loud and deep) 'STOP!' a couple times, and then telling her to unlock the chain. oops.

I have already shared this - used a plastic cup to pour hot scalding boiling water into from the electric kettle (the plastic recycled thin disposable water cooler cups).

Oh, there's been so many dumb things, how does one decide which is the dumbest?
Maybe the one who insisted putting his foot up on the rim of this big planter on the porch while chatting all the time and then after six or eight times, the planter collapsed under his weight and sent him tumbling down the stairs.
Pretty tame, but really funny considering both his wife and I kept telling him he was gonna break it if he kept doing that.
Or maybe the two that recently took the supplied firewood out of their room's fireplace and put it in the reception room fireplace and tried starting a fire without checking to see if the flue was open or not. I guess the big, bold print on our in room guest information guide about "For the safety of all of our guests, only your hosts can start a fire in the reception room fireplace" didn't quite register with them.
Worst part about it is that any guests staying in that room with the fireplace get the entire fire safety policy read to them during the check in tour and must verbally state they understand and agree to abide by the policy.
Not that funny, but after filling much of the house with smoke, freaking out the other guests who had suffered a home fire last year, and breaking one of only a few rules around here that will get you bounced immediately from the premises, plenty dumb at 10:30 pm.

Guest could not figure out the simple shower diverter. (Pull up the thing on the tub spout) They messed with it so much that it broke. Then, they tried to fix it and really broke it. We had to wait for the entire replacement spout to be sent to us to fix it since they don't replace just the diverter mechanism in the spout.

My MOTHER did the same thing - asked if she could have a plunger to unblock the drain in her bathtub. I had never had that problem and was concerned it was something more significant. So I went to go look and suggested that taking the plug out might help the water drain.
Same visit, I came back from running some errands. She had watered all the plants and was on her way up to her room on the top floor to finish the job .... all the plants in her room are fake.

My MOTHER did the same thing - asked if she could have a plunger to unblock the drain in her bathtub. I had never had that problem and was concerned it was something more significant. So I went to go look and suggested that taking the plug out might help the water drain.
Same visit, I came back from running some errands. She had watered all the plants and was on her way up to her room on the top floor to finish the job .... all the plants in her room are fake..
The Tipsy Butler said:
Same visit, I came back from running some errands. She had watered all the plants and was on her way up to her room on the top floor to finish the job .... all the plants in her room are fake.
THAT is funny - bless her heart!

The guest who called me using his cell phone to ask how to turn the shower on...

Back