Canada Happy Birthday

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flower

Reaction score
May your day be an easy day . Enjoy with Family and Friends.

fireworks%20smiley.jpg

thanks. The only thing guests did different is watch the Canada Day race ( in the park where we live), while they were eating breakfast on the veranda. And, of course, all guests got red and white cookies when they arrived.
It was too hot here today to do much else. Now, at 10:00 pm it is hailing. Ugh!

thanks. The only thing guests did different is watch the Canada Day race ( in the park where we live), while they were eating breakfast on the veranda. And, of course, all guests got red and white cookies when they arrived.
It was too hot here today to do much else. Now, at 10:00 pm it is hailing. Ugh!.
Our day was an odd day started out sunny then rain then about 2 it broke up and was windy and warm . Very muggy!
Our guest were given a Canadain hat and made them cup cakes that was red inside with a Rollo inside the batter. So when they bit into the middle they had a chocolate & carmel centre. We also put a small flag on top for decoration. I decked out the table in RED and White.
Did any of our guest see any of the celebrations ? Nope!!! One when to the beach as he was from Edmonton and loved our heat. The other two stayed here and slept till 12:00 pm then left at one . GRRR
I spent my day washing and cleaning. Missed all the fun stuff. Humff ! Oh well there is always next year.

Heard a funny Canada joke last night. I'm sure the Canadians have already head this, but I hadn't.
A man from Toronto was explaining how Canada had the potential to have the perfect blend of American technology, English culture, and French cuisine, but instead they ended up with French technology, American culture, and English cooking. ;-)

got a question ... why is English cooking said to be so bad? apparently it isn't great in scotland either.... when i was in scotland, i cooked a few things and folks were raving about them, coming over to try them. simple things. kind of a moral boost but odd.
and WHAT is with those TINY refrigerators?? i had to lay in a supply of eggs and butter just to BAKE and then they were all over me to go get more because every morning they wanted to eat eggs and butter and sausage and bacon and beans and fried bread ... EVERY morning.
i could feel my arteries clogging up.

Heard a funny Canada joke last night. I'm sure the Canadians have already head this, but I hadn't.
A man from Toronto was explaining how Canada had the potential to have the perfect blend of American technology, English culture, and French cuisine, but instead they ended up with French technology, American culture, and English cooking. ;-).
LOL! It's true....we spend 2 weeks in Canada and could not wait to get back on the US side just to have a decent meal. Everything on the plate in CA was grey or white...no sense of color or visual appeal and boiled, boiled, boiled. Now granted, we were there in late Oct. and all of the "good" restaurants, catering to tourists, were closed for the season. Perhaps that has improved over the years....huh?

A man from Toronto was explaining how Canada had the potential to have the perfect blend of American technology, English culture, and French cuisine, but instead they ended up with French technology, American culture, and English cooking. ;-).
LOL! It's true....we spend 2 weeks in Canada and could not wait to get back on the US side just to have a decent meal. Everything on the plate in CA was grey or white...no sense of color or visual appeal and boiled, boiled, boiled. Now granted, we were there in late Oct. and all of the "good" restaurants, catering to tourists, were closed for the season. Perhaps that has improved over the years....huh?
And yet we spent 10 days in Ireland and the food was great. Even I liked it and I'm the fussy one. All of our friends said we'd starve. Never had a bad meal. Well, one cafeteria that was catering for teenagers. That was horrid.

And yet we spent 10 days in Ireland and the food was great. Even I liked it and I'm the fussy one. All of our friends said we'd starve. Never had a bad meal. Well, one cafeteria that was catering for teenagers. That was horrid.
Kinsale is known for its fabulous food and wonderful restaurants. maybe you didn't go to the right places. I didn't care for the same breakfast over and over again and it was not my favorite thing but we had pretty good meals when we were there.

got a question ... why is English cooking said to be so bad? apparently it isn't great in scotland either.... when i was in scotland, i cooked a few things and folks were raving about them, coming over to try them. simple things. kind of a moral boost but odd.
and WHAT is with those TINY refrigerators?? i had to lay in a supply of eggs and butter just to BAKE and then they were all over me to go get more because every morning they wanted to eat eggs and butter and sausage and bacon and beans and fried bread ... EVERY morning.
i could feel my arteries clogging up..
seashanty said:
got a question ... why is English cooking said to be so bad?
I think it was the French who started that rumor.
I've always eaten well in England, Scotland and Ireland, and I've never been disappointed by the pub food.

We were in Ireland for 2 weeks a couple months ago and had wonderful food. The breakfasts do get a bit old. I ordered a continental at the most expensive b&b we stayed at and couldn't believe it. They brought a plate with a whole kiwi (not cut), a small whole banana still in the peel, a small orange (not peeled) and a couple triangles of packaged cheese. Absolutely no presentation.
Typical breakfast there was MUCH more simple and easier than what we're used to here. I came back home and made some dark Irish soda bread. LOVE that stuff!

We were in Ireland for 2 weeks a couple months ago and had wonderful food. The breakfasts do get a bit old. I ordered a continental at the most expensive b&b we stayed at and couldn't believe it. They brought a plate with a whole kiwi (not cut), a small whole banana still in the peel, a small orange (not peeled) and a couple triangles of packaged cheese. Absolutely no presentation.
Typical breakfast there was MUCH more simple and easier than what we're used to here. I came back home and made some dark Irish soda bread. LOVE that stuff!
Breakfast Diva said:
The breakfasts do get a bit old. I ordered a continental at the most expensive b&b we stayed at and couldn't believe it. They brought a plate with a whole kiwi (not cut), a small whole banana still in the peel, a small orange (not peeled) and a couple triangles of packaged cheese. Absolutely no presentation.
Indeed, you sound like a breakfast diva!!! :)
I could eat the full Irish/Scottish/English breakfast every morning for the rest of my life and love it every time. But I'm from the Ozarks, also known as West Wessex.

Really? All the good restaurants in Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Halifax, etc all cater to tourists?

i could feel my arteries clogging up..
We had fantastic food in England on our two trips in the last few years. Fabulous farm to table cooking in the inns and pubs with some of the most beautiful vegetables that I have ever seen. Waaaaaaaaay too much food though. We didn't eat at any "touristy" places.
I also was addicted to Yorkshire Tea while I was there. ;-)

i liked the bacon. more meat than fat, very different. and irish black tea ...came in a green box. very pricey here. and their shortbread, ohmy

Breakfast Diva said:
The breakfasts do get a bit old. I ordered a continental at the most expensive b&b we stayed at and couldn't believe it. They brought a plate with a whole kiwi (not cut), a small whole banana still in the peel, a small orange (not peeled) and a couple triangles of packaged cheese. Absolutely no presentation.
Indeed, you sound like a breakfast diva!!! :)
I could eat the full Irish/Scottish/English breakfast every morning for the rest of my life and love it every time. But I'm from the Ozarks, also known as West Wessex.
Our first breakfast was in Northern Ireland and we ordered the Ulster Fry. Wow! I didn't know they fried even the bread! Tried my first blood sausage. Had to take at least a bite. Not my cuppa tea. The Ulster Fry was good, but I couldn't do that day after day. A couple of the b&bs had smoked salmon & bagels. Now we were talking! Locally caught and smoked. Loved it!

Back