Cancellation Due to Weather

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Lucida Grande']Volcanic ash cancels all flights in Britain, now Scandinavia too. Going to be a bad aviation day: http://bit.ly/cNrQ8x[/FONT]
Okay so this is why an innkeeper needs to stay abreast of the news...guests on Sunday may not be here from the UK.

Wowza! I hadn't even thought about flight cancellations due to the volcano.

Volcanoes (in fact almost any type of natural disaster, except the occasional flood) are not something us Brits normally have to worry about!

My sister said it will be hitting there in Ireland tomorrow - the ash in the air. I am sure the UK is not far behind that.

If it is any help I am in the UK and it is sunny and beautiful and no flights have been cancelled as yet. Next week might be another thing

If it is any help I am in the UK and it is sunny and beautiful and no flights have been cancelled as yet. Next week might be another thing.
You are lucky...but many many flights to Heathrow from Dulles have been cancelled. They talked to several folks last night who are stranded and out of money and have no idea how long it may be before they can get a flight home. Can't fool with Mother Nature
cry_smile.gif

If it is any help I am in the UK and it is sunny and beautiful and no flights have been cancelled as yet. Next week might be another thing.
Camberley said:
If it is any help I am in the UK and it is sunny and beautiful and no flights have been cancelled as yet. Next week might be another thing
Are you sure???? .....the BBC has been report the total closure of all UK airports except LandsEnd and Penzance since Thursday and are currently saying nothing in the air except a few flights out of Scotland and Northern Irland until at least 1am Sunday.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8626686.stm

Not much flying out of Europe. Italy now closed. I have friends trapped in Belgium. Were supposed to fly home on the 15th and now the estimate is the 21st.

Wonder how long this could be a factor? Can you imagine being on vacation and can not go home? At some point you just run out of funds and what about their jobs?
I have a friend that travels the world as a missionary who was going to travel from Thialand to Ireland for a meeting, that meeting was deverted to FL and many of the UK people are unable to get to the meeting. One of my friends' children was being deployed but even the military have cancelled flights due to this issue.

You can get into Italy but we have people stranded in Harrogate. One of our neighbours has a stranded pole and was looking for any others so they could get in touch and travel back together. It is awful and they think this volcano may stay active for 2 years!

Got an email from guests who cannot fly out for their holidays, and just checked in my UK guests who might not be able to fly home from here now. They seemed to have a good attitude and extend their holidays here if required.

Got an email from guests who cannot fly out for their holidays, and just checked in my UK guests who might not be able to fly home from here now. They seemed to have a good attitude and extend their holidays here if required..
Im sure they are gutted to have extra holiday paid for on their travel insurance lol

Yep...the wedding I am doing on Aprial 24 has been moved back a week because the bride can't get here from Europe. I'm used to hurricane cancellations, but a volcano is a first for me.
Perhaps, it's time to travel to/from Europe the old-fashioned way...by ship.

Yep...the wedding I am doing on Aprial 24 has been moved back a week because the bride can't get here from Europe. I'm used to hurricane cancellations, but a volcano is a first for me.
Perhaps, it's time to travel to/from Europe the old-fashioned way...by ship..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
Too bad you can't go pick her up!

Sanctuary in Miami said:
Morticia said:
I would love to make that trip. Unfortunately, I don't have the fuel capacity. I'd need to tow a tanker behind me for that! :)

Boy, that is the way if you've got the time! I traveled on ocean liners to Europe as a kid and it was fantastic. I still have lots of memories about it.
This ash is really terrible though. The health fallout (no pun intended) for folks with respiratory problems will be awful.

Back