Cancellation - Economy? No

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Yesterday my day started with an e-mail cancelling one of my 2-rooms for 3-nights reservations. Why??
Today she called because she did not want us to think they changed their minds about coming. She said her shift got changed and she was not able to work around it. So it was not the economy that caused the cancel - it was work.
I understand how this can happen. During my last stint, the computer room went from 3 8-hour shifts 5-days a week to 2 12-hour shifts and 2 8-hour shifts with 28 days of weekdays and then 28 days of weekends. It was called take it or leave it.

It is my feeling that with gas down we are getting even more buisness. Gas prices seems to be what peope traveling worry about for a trip.
I had a record September and October seem to be very good also.

i would suggest that this is a reflection of the economy. work - an employer who says 'we are changing your shift ... take it or leave it.' - is exerting power over their workforce. in effect saying, if you don't accept the hours we are giving you, we can find someone else who will.

I am not get more cancellations.
But this week takes the record for no shows or like last night "We are in NC mountains" oh yeah? No, they did not show. I had a note on the door and slept with one eye open all night in case they couldn't get in, meanwhile knowing they wouldn't show. This morning I declared "Yeah, one less room to clean today!"

Agreed, there are plenty of layoffs and heartache all round. Which no incumbent will save us from, so we better start thinkin' on our feet and being smart.

I had a cancellation for 4 days due to job loss. So far, that's the only one but these guests were our first guests and this would have been our 5th time with them.

I had a cancellation for 4 days due to job loss. So far, that's the only one but these guests were our first guests and this would have been our 5th time with them..
I've only had one cancellation so far - on the day the stock market first plunged - but from guests who have cancelled twice before, once within a few days of arrival. I told them next time they make a reservation we are taking a nonrefundable deposit. He was just looking for an excuse, I imagine. We've been very busy this month.
In town, though, some of the businesses have closed. Most spaces have already been re-rented. I do think people are still vacationing but spending less on shopping for discretionary stuff. Some of the shops are doing great business, but I think if the business was marginal to begin with they are hurting.

i would suggest that this is a reflection of the economy. work - an employer who says 'we are changing your shift ... take it or leave it.' - is exerting power over their workforce. in effect saying, if you don't accept the hours we are giving you, we can find someone else who will..
Not necessarily. My shift changes on my job had nothing to do with economy - it was to give 24/7 coverage in the computer room and many companies have the do not let the doorknob hit you attitude. Sometimes changes happen because of coverage or to make the business better. She may be a key person needed to implement a change.
I once got a 3 month severance pay offer if I would stay until the doorknob hit - the company was moving south - and I had only been there 30 days! I was key personnel as night shift computer operator and it would have been immpossible for me to take 3 days off.

what was i reading? something about fear being the driving force right now. selling because of fear or not buying because of fear. panicking out of fear. 'the only thing we have to fear is fear itself'
anyway, i send all good thoughts to all your places.
emphasize value and comfort ... that's my two cents.

We had some cancellations this weekend... but in both cases they canceled the second night and kept their first night, I think because their plans changed and no other reason.
=)
Kk.

We had some cancellations this weekend... but in both cases they canceled the second night and kept their first night, I think because their plans changed and no other reason.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I just had that. Couple walked in and said they could only stay one night of the 2 night rez.

one room cancelled but another room brought another warm body... filling the empty room... yeah!

Got a call at 6PM from guests with reservation for tomorrow night. He asked if the room was available tonight by chance. They wanted to make it for 2 nights rather than just one. Yeah!...They were only 45 minutes away!
regular_smile.gif

I have only had one upcoming rez cancel and it was because we did not have a room available that has 3 beds. They took our room with 2 queen beds but I had a feeling they would call to cancel. It is a big weekend here and hotel rooms are scarce.

Around here EVERYTHING is BOOKED...folks telling me this is the Best year they have had:)

Around here EVERYTHING is BOOKED...folks telling me this is the Best year they have had:).
wow! up here, locally, business was down about 75% across the board i'm told. occupancy was down so low in may and june that it was a hardship.
maybe october will be good for year rounders. i hope so.

Around here EVERYTHING is BOOKED...folks telling me this is the Best year they have had:).
Occupancy was drastically down here in September all over according to the C&VB. Things are picking up this Fall though. We aren't doing too badly for a new place
regular_smile.gif
But oddly, no guests this weekend. Good time to get some things done. Fall has arrived - it's 52F right now!!

wow! up here, locally, business was down about 75% across the board i'm told. occupancy was down so low in may and june that it was a hardship.
seashanty said:
Spring was absolutely horrible. Summer was good. Oct is a disaster. This is the worst year ever. Even our first year wasn't this bad and we lost a lot of the PO's repeats.

Back