Cancellation Ethics

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The future guest sees it as a change rather than a cancellation because that benefits them.
You might find that charging the deposit at the time of reservation may have made it less likely that she would have cancelled.

Being an innkeeper who both has an extremely guest friendly cancellation policy and is still stinging from the hurt of a very recent last minute 11 night booking turned 11 night cancellation with little to show for it, I've got some views on this.
They are completely biased and riddled with anger and inner contradiction over my caving in on my policy with this guest.
I got a total Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde pulled on me as soon as the application of the policy and often do as soon as it is going to cost somebody something.
This guest's wife had made the reservation because he was told by his contractor "Leave immediately and get to Los Alamos, ASAP, we need you there for two weeks"
He is a sub-contractor so I couldn't go after the contractor because he is required to make his own travel plans and then get reimbursed.
Whether the reservation is made 2 days or 2 months from arrival, I always ask "Would you like me to read you the cancellation policy?" It is also available on the booking page of our website, included in the email and hard copy mailed confirmation all guests receive.
Our language also includes this:
"By requesting a reservation at our B&B, you automatically agree to inform yourself of and abide by all of our cancellation policies as they are stated on the availability calendar page of our website, this email and in the guest information card you will receive with your confirmation packet."
While firmly in the "education" camp of innkeepers in order to save fellow innkeepers from experiencing the same behaviors on other fronts, the application of cancellation policies is so individual its hard to paint all circumstances with the same broad brush.
About the only satisfaction I got out of the deal is that I showed great restraint, diplomacy and patience with someone who didn't deserve it, lied repeatedly and hurt my good relationship with a hotel up the road, because she also cancelled all the nights there I had helped get for her husband that we couldn't offer. Not that a big hotel like that probably cares much, but its important ot me that I not be associated with anybody getting jerked around.
We've already rebooked five of the eleven nights, got 20% of the deposit from her and made it clear that this person would never be welcome in our home, so my pain with subside. By accepting this and not pushing too hard for her to accept the voucher, we free ourselves of never having to deal with her again and cover some of our fixed costs. The new replacement bookings will cover the rest.
We offer a "deposit voucher" for cancellations under 7 days from arrival. It is 50% of the stay regardless of if the room is rebooked or not. This is a huge courtesy and consideration we are extending and they can take it or leave it. Most never use it, often the room is rebooked and we preserve our good name and goodwill by offering it in a time of need.
Stick to the letter of the policy and damn the torpedoes on the guest's
"unhappiness" about being held to the agreed upon policy. The type of guests who reveal they don't respect you as soon as it will cost them money to cancel including in the case of a family tragedy or illness, aren't worth negotiating with, fretting over their next "try" to come, etc.
Also, don't worry about bad reviews when deciding on how to handle a cancellation. Remember that 99% of our guests, respect our policies, honor their reservations and when they must cancle they accept that some kind of charges are due. If its an obvious case of somebody not honoring your policies, other travelers with any kind of brains will look upon you getting slammed in a review with resentment towards the lout, not you.
Kind of like how real sports and subsistence hunters look upon "slob" hunters who trash a place, hunt out of season, poach, etc.
When I sit back and look at all the cancellations we've ever gotten where a stink was made by the guest about charges, in most cases they revealed themselves as people that just wouldn't be a good fit to begin with, so we just move on.
While we can't choose all of our guests, here we really cross our fingers that the vast majority are those that really want to be here, already possess some basic respect for others and have done a little homework to make sure we're the right place for them.

If they book again, you might offer them a second night at half price or free. It wouldn't cost you that much and might make them feel better.
I agree, they didn't cancel according to the rules. Changing dates wasn't an option on the day of the reservation..
hawley said:
If they book again, you might offer them a second night at half price or free. It wouldn't cost you that much and might make them feel better.
I agree, they didn't cancel according to the rules. Changing dates wasn't an option on the day of the reservation.
Problem with that is it does not educate the guest. You have to gently let them know that they contracted for a night that has now passed. That is income that was taken because you turned away business.
If they rebook that is still a night in the future that is available to be sold.
Following their thinking you should charge them double for the next booking. One for the night lost and one for the night used.
Riki
I agreed with her, she should charge for the night, they didn't cancel.
I only made a note that IF they booked in the future, she might offer them something to make them feel better.
I see what you're saying....offer something to entice them to come back..
However, I think Riki is right...it doesn't educate the guest...but then again...I think educating clients is always a lose-lose situation huh?
ps: I'm male :p hehe
sonatainn said:
I see what you're saying....offer something to entice them to come back..
However, I think Riki is right...it doesn't educate the guest...but then again...I think educating clients is always a lose-lose situation huh?
ps: I'm male :p hehe
My experience has been that trying to educate guests makes you (me, whoever) look like a martinet. If the guests are already in your place and you'd like to make sure they are welcome to return, then yes, ok to tell them the kitchen is off limits, the porch is the only place smoking should occur, etc.
Trying to educate them by going into the details of your business plan and how their lack of responsibility hurts your bottom line, just doesn't work. You can do a short version but sticking to, 'Our cancellation period is (fill in the blank), we will try to rebook the room, but if we cannot, your deposit will be used to cover your cancellation.' (Or whatever you want to say.)
I like that many innkeepers try to educate guests by having on their websites how small they are and how cancellations affect them greatly, but most guests don't even read it.
Bree said:
I like that many innkeepers try to educate guests by having on their websites how small they are and how cancellations affect them greatly, but most guests don't even read it.
If I had written this sentence it would have ended with 'but most guests don't even give a
potty-mouth.gif
and that is why they don't read it.
Copperhead said:
Bree said:
If I had written this sentence it would have ended with 'but most guests don't even give a
potty-mouth.gif
and that is why they don't read it.
I'm practicing 'positive energy' this week. I'll let you know how it goes.
wink_smile.gif

Being an innkeeper who both has an extremely guest friendly cancellation policy and is still stinging from the hurt of a very recent last minute 11 night booking turned 11 night cancellation with little to show for it, I've got some views on this.
They are completely biased and riddled with anger and inner contradiction over my caving in on my policy with this guest.
I got a total Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde pulled on me as soon as the application of the policy and often do as soon as it is going to cost somebody something.
This guest's wife had made the reservation because he was told by his contractor "Leave immediately and get to Los Alamos, ASAP, we need you there for two weeks"
He is a sub-contractor so I couldn't go after the contractor because he is required to make his own travel plans and then get reimbursed.
Whether the reservation is made 2 days or 2 months from arrival, I always ask "Would you like me to read you the cancellation policy?" It is also available on the booking page of our website, included in the email and hard copy mailed confirmation all guests receive.
"By requesting a reservation at our B&B, you automatically agree to inform yourself of and abide by all of our cancellation policies as they are stated on the availability calendar page of our website, this email and in the guest information card you will receive with your confirmation packet."
While firmly in the "education" camp of innkeepers in order to save fellow innkeepers from experiencing the same behaviors on other fronts, the application of cancellation policies is so individual its hard to paint all circumstances with the same broad brush.
About the only satisfaction I got out of the deal is that I showed great restraint, diplomacy and patience with someone who didn't deserve it, lied repeatedly and hurt my good relationship with a hotel up the road, because she also cancelled all the nights there I had helped get for her husband that we couldn't offer. Not that a big hotel like that probably cares much, but its important ot me that I not be associated with anybody getting jerked around.
We've already rebooked five of the eleven nights, got 20% of the deposit from her and made it clear that this person would never be welcome in our home, so my pain with subside. By accepting this and not pushing too hard for her to accept the voucher, we free ourselves of never having to deal with her again and cover some of our fixed costs. The new replacement bookings will cover the rest.
We offer a "deposit voucher" for cancellations under 7 days from arrival. It is 50% of the stay regardless of if the room is rebooked or not. This is a huge courtesy and consideration we are extending and they can take it or leave it. Most never use it, often the room is rebooked and we preserve our good name and goodwill by offering it in a time of need.
"unhappiness" about being held to the agreed upon policy. The type of guests who reveal they don't respect you as soon as it will cost them money to cancel including in the case of a family tragedy or illness, aren't worth negotiating with, fretting over their next "try" to come, etc.
Also, don't worry about bad reviews when deciding on how to handle a cancellation. Remember that 99% of our guests, respect our policies, honor their reservations and when they must cancle they accept that some kind of charges are due. If its an obvious case of somebody not honoring your policies, other travelers with any kind of brains will look upon you getting slammed in a review with resentment towards the lout, not you.
Kind of like how real sports and subsistence hunters look upon "slob" hunters who trash a place, hunt out of season, poach, etc.
When I sit back and look at all the cancellations we've ever gotten where a stink was made by the guest about charges, in most cases they revealed themselves as people that just wouldn't be a good fit to begin with, so we just move on.
While we can't choose all of our guests, here we really cross our fingers that the vast majority are those that really want to be here, already possess some basic respect for others and have done a little homework to make sure we're the right place for them..
Sorry, Tim...I dozed off during your post. Does your cancellation policy read like that? haha!
teeth_smile.gif

While we can't choose all of our guests, here we really cross our fingers that the vast majority are those that really want to be here, already possess some basic respect for others and have done a little homework to make sure we're the right place for them..
Sorry, Tim...I dozed off during your post. Does your cancellation policy read like that? haha!
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
Sorry, I was still in full process mode from that stinker. Plus, Bree called something I posted a while back as "succinct", so I didn't want to give the false impression I could ever be that. LOL
We save a ton of money on sleeping pills for the much better half around here. I just start rolling on a rant and she is out like a light.
wink_smile.gif

Which part are you referring to?
Not that it matters in this or a few other cases. If they give me too much grief, I just minimize the damage and move on. Espceically in the busy season when we can fill or rebook the rooms with people that REALLY want to stay here and are sure of it.

Our cancelation policy must be agreed to prior to booking a reservation. If over the phone, we ask "Are you familiar with our cancelation policy?" If they say yes we make note of that on the reservation. If they say no we tell them what the cancellation policy is. If they book online they have to check a box that says they have read and, understand and agree to the cancellation and other policies. It is their responsibility to read the policies once they have been brought to their attention. There is a link to our policies page at the top of our home page, the policies are integrated into our online booking engine and they are sent to the guest via an email confirmation. Ours covers EVERYTHING in detail, from regular to group reservations and reservations that require us to hire outside services. Yes, it makes for a lengthy read, but we try to cover all bases as we have learned in the two years we have owned our inn. We are constantly adding to or modifying them and have just added the following- NOTE: A room and/or date switch is the cancellation of one reservation and a new reservation booking. If the original room is not re-booked the guest is responsible for the first reservation as well.

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
Sorry, I was still in full process mode from that stinker. Plus, Bree called something I posted a while back as "succinct", so I didn't want to give the false impression I could ever be that. LOL
We save a ton of money on sleeping pills for the much better half around here. I just start rolling on a rant and she is out like a light.
wink_smile.gif

Which part are you referring to?
Not that it matters in this or a few other cases. If they give me too much grief, I just minimize the damage and move on. Espceically in the busy season when we can fill or rebook the rooms with people that REALLY want to stay here and are sure of it.
It was a joke about your post being pretty looooooooooooooooooooooong :)
We have few cancellations and I only have a 72 hour cancellation policy. I have too many other things in my life to get ulcers over to let the occasional nitwit guest upset me about canceling. I guess I'm pretty fortunate that I've only had one or 2 cancel in under 72 hrs since we opened. I guess I don't have too many war stories yet....

sonatainn said:
The client EMAILS (no calls,) on the morning of the check in, and tells me that they will not be coming because of a scheduling conflict with their child, but tells me that they will rebook another time later in July. I email them saying that if I don't manage to rebook the room, I will have to charge them.
Here it is from your policy....For a reservation of 1 to 3 room/nights, we require 72 hours (3 days) notice,
That should settle it.
Now, what you can do, is to offer them 50% or 100% towards their next nights stay if they stay within a certain time frame, so you won't loose a customer. But of course they have to re book, and if they cancel this one, there will be no credits towards future stays. That's what I do.
Cancelling on the same day is very very close and you should stick to your policy.

It is a cancel. If she booked July 10, there is only one July 10 in the month. Room nights do not reschedule. IF she "reschedules" it is a new reservation. It is your call whether you charge. Personally, I would and do - especially if it is the day of. BOTH printout and save the e-mail on your system as well as any communication between you as backup. It is a problem very few innkeepers get to not have to deal with. The first one is always traumatic..
gillumhouse said:
It is a cancel. If she booked July 10, there is only one July 10 in the month. Room nights do not reschedule. IF she "reschedules" it is a new reservation. It is your call whether you charge. Personally, I would and do - especially if it is the day of. BOTH printout and save the e-mail on your system as well as any communication between you as backup. It is a problem very few innkeepers get to not have to deal with. The first one is always traumatic.
I just had my first no show charge back last week. Booked in April, charge back im June..gee...spoke to that person 30 minutes...told CC company could not remember booking...turmed in all documents and info I had and won. Yes, Gillum is right, it made me feel like having knots in my stomach charging them, but heck, we could of had rented 2 rooms that night if I had known he was a no show.
stick to your guns ....

It is a cancel. If she booked July 10, there is only one July 10 in the month. Room nights do not reschedule. IF she "reschedules" it is a new reservation. It is your call whether you charge. Personally, I would and do - especially if it is the day of. BOTH printout and save the e-mail on your system as well as any communication between you as backup. It is a problem very few innkeepers get to not have to deal with. The first one is always traumatic..
gillumhouse said:
It is a cancel. If she booked July 10, there is only one July 10 in the month. Room nights do not reschedule. IF she "reschedules" it is a new reservation. It is your call whether you charge. Personally, I would and do - especially if it is the day of. BOTH printout and save the e-mail on your system as well as any communication between you as backup. It is a problem very few innkeepers get to not have to deal with. The first one is always traumatic.
I just had my first no show charge back last week. Booked in April, charge back im June..gee...spoke to that person 30 minutes...told CC company could not remember booking...turmed in all documents and info I had and won. Yes, Gillum is right, it made me feel like having knots in my stomach charging them, but heck, we could of had rented 2 rooms that night if I had known he was a no show.
stick to your guns ....
Mooseberry Inn said:
gillumhouse said:
stick to your guns ....
Good for you Moose! We all need to stick to our guns and not be bullied by a threat of a chargeback. If you have all the right paperwork, I think the CC company will back you too. I am not positive on this but I also think the the CC company looks at the company's chargeback history. (not wins but losses) For the most part if you have your proof, and your history shows good business ethics, the CC comp. will side with you.

Back