Cancellation for a Package

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Advice please
Just got a call from THE HUSBAND. He said his wife was trying to surprise him and they really cannot afford it and need to cancel it. I said we have a 7 day cancellation period. He said, well she just made it last week. I said, Yes I understand but it is for THURSDAY, that is in two days. I have already run the card and NEARLY bought the dinner gift certificate - thankfully I did not yet.
Your advice? Just bite this one and refund in full or what? I do feel bad for him and know this stuff happens.
I said I would see what I can do and call him back.

I don't know that I'd bite that one. Unless you think you can rebook it on such late notice.
For me, the thing that I always bear in mind when deciding whether to charge a fee or give them a break is whether or not I turned away guests. If the inn is otherwise completely booked, then other guests would have been turned away even if you didn't do so yourself. If someone tried to book online, they couldn't have.
If there are still holes in the booking calendar, though, then it's likely that other guests would not have been turned away - unless the only room left was a room that's less popular than others.
But for the guy to cancel his wife's surprise 2 days out for a major holiday weekend, well, that's pretty nervy. Unless I could rebook it, I'd probably charge him if I were otherwise taking a loss.
When folks give their credit card numbers, get a confirmation, and know the policies, they're agreeing to those policies. It's really up to them to keep their part of the bargain as much as it's up to the inn to provide the service they expect.
IMHO.

When he called he just assumed he would cancel and told me so, when I reiterated the policies then he spoke a little nicer. No we are not full, now we are down to just one room. The package says prepaid. The package nightmare begins...

When he called he just assumed he would cancel and told me so, when I reiterated the policies then he spoke a little nicer. No we are not full, now we are down to just one room. The package says prepaid. The package nightmare begins....
See now, prepaid is a whole different creature isn't it? Doesn't that mean no refunds? If I gave him a refund at all, I don't think it would be in full.
But who knows, maybe you'll get a call tonight and someone will want 2 rooms and you'll be booked.
If it were me, I'd let him know that I'd try to rebook it and if I were able to, I'd be able to refund a portion of it. That way, if you discounted the package slightly, you could give him a break and still be okay.
But I'm sure with the package you have shopping to be done, reservations to be made, etc etc etc so the likelihood of your being able to take a last minute booking may impact your ability to come out intact.
I know a lot of folks do the fallback of allowing the guest to come back during the week during the off-season. I'm not a fan of that because then you get a guest who comes back when they don't really want to - and taking up a room you might have otherwise sold, even in the slower times. To me, you either take a hit or stick to the policy in place.
And I just don't know that I'd have a whole lot of sympathy for the guy who just carelessly cancels at the last minute, when the wife knew full-well it was prepaid when she booked it.

With my Thanksgiving Package I posted that any cancellation within the 15 days I had established due to prep requirements would be a 50% of package price. It was during the swine flu panic and both of the first couple to book worked in education - a regular breeding ground for germs. They were OK with the 50% - and then ended up having to leave right after Thanksgiving dinne because she chipped a tooth - full pay ad they did not even suggest a weasel!
It, of course, is your call, but you might want to consider 50% since you did not get the dinner certificate yet, That expense has been averted.

I charged one night, so refunded the other night PLUS package price extras. I emailed the policies they agreed to and a copy of the webervation. He has called since and asked to call him, I will wait. I think that is being FAIR.

I charged one night, so refunded the other night PLUS package price extras. I emailed the policies they agreed to and a copy of the webervation. He has called since and asked to call him, I will wait. I think that is being FAIR..
Especially since your regular cancellation policy is seven days notice. He's being let out of the package requirements entirely, and only being held to the regular policy.

I charged one night, so refunded the other night PLUS package price extras. I emailed the policies they agreed to and a copy of the webervation. He has called since and asked to call him, I will wait. I think that is being FAIR..
I'd say that was being very fair. Hopefully the guy is calling to thank you!

i think he's calling to complain or to say they're coming! sorry, negative nan here.

Sorry, I'm with Negitave Nan! I would not waste time in calling..as you may find that they will be staying the 1 night, thus eliminating the chance at a last minute 2 night booking during a holiday.
I would have waited until after the date passed to provide any info on a refund, no matter what refund was decided by you in advance. I would have just make it clear (as you did) of your policies, then I would say I would open the room back up for booking in hopes the room would be taken and would get back with them after the new year.
Edited to add: Given what I have read here, I would have been happy to refund the 'package' part of the booking since you had not purchased the dinner certificate, but I would have refrained from offering any additional refund until after the holiday passed.
Suprises can be all to suprising for the one being suprised. Ya never know, he could have arranged a suprise of his own.

It would be common courtesy to at least call him back, but stand firm on your decision. To not call back is not a good business practice - IMHO. Treat others.....

So here is the out come so far...I took the one night deposit and let them off the second night and package addons.
I spoke to him and he wanted a compromise...I was prepared for explitives (sp?).
potty-mouth.gif

He didn't want to lose the deposit so they are coming for two nights, but not the package. (ALL I HAVE IS THE PACKAGE for those two nights - but cut them some slack)
All in all WE are making the same as the package was not marked up, it was the cost for the add ons!!! He prob assumed they were marked up. I did this package just to get some bookings when we normally don't see them, not to mark anything up.
So in the end, I think he will have calmed down and enjoy the stay here, I will go ahead and put the party favors etc in their room and treat them well like I do the other guests. For whatever reason, her surprise was not a good one for him and now they will enjoy themselves. He said they will eat mcdonalds and I told them well they will have very nice meals here!
SueE I waited to call back til he CALMED DOWN. I am not willing to have someone irate with me on the phone. When we spoke he had calmed down and the conversation was much better! I don't want to talk to ANYONE when they are riled up!!! THAT IS good BUSINESS PRACTICE. Like standing in the way of an oncoming train...not so smart if you can help it. So we worked it all out.
cheers.gif

So here is the out come so far...I took the one night deposit and let them off the second night and package addons.
I spoke to him and he wanted a compromise...I was prepared for explitives (sp?).
potty-mouth.gif

He didn't want to lose the deposit so they are coming for two nights, but not the package. (ALL I HAVE IS THE PACKAGE for those two nights - but cut them some slack)
All in all WE are making the same as the package was not marked up, it was the cost for the add ons!!! He prob assumed they were marked up. I did this package just to get some bookings when we normally don't see them, not to mark anything up.
So in the end, I think he will have calmed down and enjoy the stay here, I will go ahead and put the party favors etc in their room and treat them well like I do the other guests. For whatever reason, her surprise was not a good one for him and now they will enjoy themselves. He said they will eat mcdonalds and I told them well they will have very nice meals here!
SueE I waited to call back til he CALMED DOWN. I am not willing to have someone irate with me on the phone. When we spoke he had calmed down and the conversation was much better! I don't want to talk to ANYONE when they are riled up!!! THAT IS good BUSINESS PRACTICE. Like standing in the way of an oncoming train...not so smart if you can help it. So we worked it all out.
cheers.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
potty-mouth.gif

cheers.gif
GOOD JOB! Looks like it will work out for you. I'm sure he'll calm down and have a great time!
RIki

potty-mouth.gif

cheers.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
SueE I waited to call back til he CALMED DOWN. I am not willing to have someone irate with me on the phone. When we spoke he had calmed down and the conversation was much better! I don't want to talk to ANYONE when they are riled up!!!
I missed the part where you thought he was riled up - I thought he just left a message for you asking you to call him back. My bad.

Back