Cancellation Policies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
I need some guidance ... how would you handle this.
1 night guest cancels. He is one of two rooms booked for that night (I have 4). Cancellation policy is 14 days - his stay is in 10 days. Obviously I will do everything I can to rebook his room - that way everyone is happy. BUT here's my question:
If I take another booking have I officially rebooked his room. It would take me back to 2 rooms booked for the night but if he hadn't cancelled it would be three rooms, so I'm still out of pocket. Or have I offically rebooked his room when I have a full house.

Whe someone books the room he booked..then you are officially booked..at least in my mind.

It's his room rebooked that counts. If you fill the other 2 rooms, but not his, he's still on the hook for 'his' room.
Guests will argue that, I've had it happen. They will actually watch the calendar and say, 'You booked a room, don't charge me.' It's tough trying to explain that the room THEY booked and cancelled is still open. But, as everyone keeps telling me when I mention bumping guests around, the guest chooses the room they WANT. And these cancellers had the room that other guests wanted so I could have booked it 3 times over LAST week, but not right now.
It's his room, not any room. And, yes, I do push guests toward the cancelled room, if they haven't made a choice already.
I totally get your point, tho. It could have been 3 rooms instead of 2 but he cancelled and you're still out of pocket. That's why the hair-splitting with which room the next guest books.

It's his room rebooked that counts. If you fill the other 2 rooms, but not his, he's still on the hook for 'his' room.
Guests will argue that, I've had it happen. They will actually watch the calendar and say, 'You booked a room, don't charge me.' It's tough trying to explain that the room THEY booked and cancelled is still open. But, as everyone keeps telling me when I mention bumping guests around, the guest chooses the room they WANT. And these cancellers had the room that other guests wanted so I could have booked it 3 times over LAST week, but not right now.
It's his room, not any room. And, yes, I do push guests toward the cancelled room, if they haven't made a choice already.
I totally get your point, tho. It could have been 3 rooms instead of 2 but he cancelled and you're still out of pocket. That's why the hair-splitting with which room the next guest books..
Yup - you've nailed it. Unless the house fills up completely one of the parties involved is going to feel aggrieved. I naturally try to fill the vacated room, but sometimes get the "it's not fair" feeling - bottom line is I'd rather have it resoved amicably.

I would agree that guests that are watching would see if you've now got another room booked, they're off the hook. Probably not worth the possible bad feelings to split hairs and insist that it would have to be the exact same room (even if the newly booked room is cheaper).
Also, a 14 day cancellation policy is a looooooooooooooong time imvvho, unless it's a large group or extended stay rez. So, if this guest cancelled 10 days out, they're probably feeling that they gave you plenty of notice. Just thinking like a guest here......
btw - Here is something new that one of our other inns here has added to their website. They started receiving more cancellations and changed their cancellation policy from 3 days to 14! A huge jump from the previous owners & I'm not quite sure of their line of thinking on it. But the trip insurance is a good idea...especially at their rates.
"All reservations must be secured with a valid Credit Card. Once you have secured your reservation, you are obligated for your entire stay. If for any reason you must cancel your reservation more then 14 days in advance, we will not charge your credit card (unless we have processed a deposit, in which case a $25 Administrative fee will be assessed). If cancellation is made within 14 days of the reservation, we will make every attempt to re-rent the room(s). If the room(s) can be re-rented for your entire reservation period, we will only assess a $25.00 administrative fee and there will be no further obligation on your part.
Please note: There are no exceptions to our cancellation policy, whether it be for reasons of sickness, family emergency or weather, and as such we recommend that you purchase travel insurance. For your convenience we have included a link to the Travelex, travel protection website."

I totally get your point, tho. It could have been 3 rooms instead of 2 but he cancelled and you're still out of pocket. That's why the hair-splitting with which room the next guest books..
Yup - you've nailed it. Unless the house fills up completely one of the parties involved is going to feel aggrieved. I naturally try to fill the vacated room, but sometimes get the "it's not fair" feeling - bottom line is I'd rather have it resoved amicably.
Although I feel you are well within your rights to hold out rebooking that room before you absolve him of responsibility, in actuality I have never charged a cancellation fee if I am able to book any room for the night of the cancellation. It has not been worth the aggravation.
Jeanne

I would agree that guests that are watching would see if you've now got another room booked, they're off the hook. Probably not worth the possible bad feelings to split hairs and insist that it would have to be the exact same room (even if the newly booked room is cheaper).
Also, a 14 day cancellation policy is a looooooooooooooong time imvvho, unless it's a large group or extended stay rez. So, if this guest cancelled 10 days out, they're probably feeling that they gave you plenty of notice. Just thinking like a guest here......
btw - Here is something new that one of our other inns here has added to their website. They started receiving more cancellations and changed their cancellation policy from 3 days to 14! A huge jump from the previous owners & I'm not quite sure of their line of thinking on it. But the trip insurance is a good idea...especially at their rates.
"All reservations must be secured with a valid Credit Card. Once you have secured your reservation, you are obligated for your entire stay. If for any reason you must cancel your reservation more then 14 days in advance, we will not charge your credit card (unless we have processed a deposit, in which case a $25 Administrative fee will be assessed). If cancellation is made within 14 days of the reservation, we will make every attempt to re-rent the room(s). If the room(s) can be re-rented for your entire reservation period, we will only assess a $25.00 administrative fee and there will be no further obligation on your part.
Please note: There are no exceptions to our cancellation policy, whether it be for reasons of sickness, family emergency or weather, and as such we recommend that you purchase travel insurance. For your convenience we have included a link to the Travelex, travel protection website.".
I had a whole blurb about travel insurance on my site (and my neighbor stole my cancellation policy word for word so I changed it). Anyhoo...travel insurance is no good for weather and generally way too expensive for an overnight or a weekend.
Your folks need to change the way they said "If cancellation is made within 14 days of the reservation" because this says, to me, nitpicker that I am, that I have 14 days to cancel from the time I book the room. They need to say 'within 14 days of arrival' or some such.
I like the 'please note' section.
We are so easy-going here...if you cancel a 3 night stay, I only charge for one night, even if I don't rerent any of the nights.
14 days by Tipsy is reasonable. Some places here are 30 days. It's the nature of the location and being so very seasonal.

Please note: There are no exceptions to our cancellation policy, whether it be for reasons of sickness, family emergency or weather, and as such we recommend that you purchase travel insurance. For your convenience we have included a link to the Travelex, travel protection website.".
I had a whole blurb about travel insurance on my site (and my neighbor stole my cancellation policy word for word so I changed it). Anyhoo...travel insurance is no good for weather and generally way too expensive for an overnight or a weekend.
Your folks need to change the way they said "If cancellation is made within 14 days of the reservation" because this says, to me, nitpicker that I am, that I have 14 days to cancel from the time I book the room. They need to say 'within 14 days of arrival' or some such.
I like the 'please note' section.
We are so easy-going here...if you cancel a 3 night stay, I only charge for one night, even if I don't rerent any of the nights.
14 days by Tipsy is reasonable. Some places here are 30 days. It's the nature of the location and being so very seasonal.
I agree that it should say within 14 days of the reserved stay, arrival night or something like that. Previous owners had a very loose policy which was basically 72 hours but business guests could cancel on the same day. I think that they've implemented this for their sudden rash of cancellations. I imagine it's up to them to tweak it and see what works for them.
I know that 14 days and longer is perfectly fine in certain locations. I wonder though that if people are trending to book closer to their arrival date, if that is a bit too far out for a cancellation. Of course, if a place is booked solid and there's a waiting list, you can have a super long timeframe on there. Whatever works for your location!

Please note: There are no exceptions to our cancellation policy, whether it be for reasons of sickness, family emergency or weather, and as such we recommend that you purchase travel insurance. For your convenience we have included a link to the Travelex, travel protection website."
That's a beautiful thing there! -WW

I must be too easy going because that language seems a little off-putting to me :) But, (knock on wood) cancellations haven't been an issue for me so far. I hope that it remains that way!!

I must be too easy going because that language seems a little off-putting to me :) But, (knock on wood) cancellations haven't been an issue for me so far. I hope that it remains that way!!
Samster said:
That's because the 4th guest's grandma hasn't died on you today.
wink_smile.gif
We get car accidents, hospitalizations, deaths, sicknesses, weather, plane cancellations, etc. None of it the guests' fault, but none of it mine either. That's the tough part...who suffers the loss? The guest or us?
I know I will not go back to a place that charged me when I left early because of a hurricane. The state was closed. The gov was requesting people to leave ASAP. My friend decided to stick it out and was handed a hammer and nails and sheets of plywood and asked to help cover the windows in her cottage.
They hotel basically told me, 'Tough.'
So it's hard for me to charge because I know what it's like to be on that side. But, it's hard on this side with bills to pay and rooms standing empty because of whatever cancellation reason the guest has.
Our 'solution' is to have the guest rebook immediately (or within a week if we're talking a death). I like the GC solution, too. We have too many guests who book multiple locations, holding rooms until they find one closer to where they want to be or a cheaper price or better amenities.

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
We get car accidents, hospitalizations, deaths, sicknesses, weather, plane cancellations, etc. None of it the guests' fault, but none of it mine either. That's the tough part...who suffers the loss? The guest or us?
I know I will not go back to a place that charged me when I left early because of a hurricane. The state was closed. The gov was requesting people to leave ASAP. My friend decided to stick it out and was handed a hammer and nails and sheets of plywood and asked to help cover the windows in her cottage.
So it's hard for me to charge because I know what it's like to be on that side. But, it's hard on this side with bills to pay and rooms standing empty because of whatever cancellation reason the guest has.
Our 'solution' is to have the guest rebook immediately (or within a week if we're talking a death). I like the GC solution, too. We have too many guests who book multiple locations, holding rooms until they find one closer to where they want to be or a cheaper price or better amenities.
You have a whole different situation there because people are visiting a region & trying to hit a bunch of towns & things to do. That's what we would do if we get up to visit there again. If you're not doing it already, maybe a cancellation fee is the way to go so you re-coup something.

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
You have a whole different situation there because people are visiting a region & trying to hit a bunch of towns & things to do. That's what we would do if we get up to visit there again. If you're not doing it already, maybe a cancellation fee is the way to go so you re-coup something.
Samster said:
OK, we had friends who tried the cancellation fee. I think I said I had to go check the other websites again because someone said they thought others in the area were charging and I wasn't. They have had nothing but grief with the charge. This is just the $25 admin fee and guests are screaming at them on the phone.
See, I sometimes think it is easier to not deal with these people than to stand up for what's right. And they (the guests) bank on the fact that no one wants to be yelled at, so they yell!
Hubs and I have to talk about this.
Wait, I'm rereading what you said...are you telling me if you booked here, you'd cancel if you found a better, nearer, cheaper place to stay?
teeth_smile.gif
I know I have 2 out of 3 on that list beat!
wink_smile.gif

i do charge for cancellations.
the deposit is $100 or 1 nite's stay for 3 nites, 1/2 within 30 days of arrival for longer stays.
cheerfully (well i try to be cheerful) refunded if 14 days notice is given of cancellation
otherwise, i keep the deposit. i WILL apply it to a future stay for THIS summer if they rebook. i have nothing in my cancellation policy about refunding the deposit/ rebooking the room. it is a difficult business to be in. our season is so short ... guests booking ahead are very important to us. i may have turned away 2 dozen inquiries and have lost those potential guests. on dates when there have been 'no vacancies' for a while, folks go to another area.

We are in a small town, not even a destinations. So far, mos of the summer is booming with highway travelers, hotels are booked, and the B&B's gladly take the overflow.
I did have cancellations before the bussy time and am counting on every penny, especially since we are new.
One customer had his sister call to cancel, they could not get across the border with a rental car...sorry, should have done your research....but, as nice as I am, I only charged the cancelation fee of $35.00
Another time a company reserved 2 rooms, one for 3 nights and the other for 2 nights. They canceled, but no one ever bothered telling me about it...I charged them for all 5 nights.
If reservations with me are not made online, I have to go online manually and take the rooms off . Someone else could have booked them, but showed no availability. I will charge you for the entire stay...unless, you can truly prove to me that it was because of a death or servere sickness.
I have been sick once. I really wanted to go, but I just was too sick.
It is a hard decission to make.

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
OK, we had friends who tried the cancellation fee. I think I said I had to go check the other websites again because someone said they thought others in the area were charging and I wasn't. They have had nothing but grief with the charge. This is just the $25 admin fee and guests are screaming at them on the phone.
See, I sometimes think it is easier to not deal with these people than to stand up for what's right. And they (the guests) bank on the fact that no one wants to be yelled at, so they yell!
Hubs and I have to talk about this.
Wait, I'm rereading what you said...are you telling me if you booked here, you'd cancel if you found a better, nearer, cheaper place to stay?
teeth_smile.gif
I know I have 2 out of 3 on that list beat!
wink_smile.gif

Haha! You're funny....
teeth_smile.gif
I meant we'd be visiting lots of towns in New England and staying at several places. For that kind of visit, I know that we'd have to book ahead & figure out an itinerary. I don't think that I've ever cancelled a leisure stay, only business accommodations. There'd have to be a pretty dang good reason for me not to go on vacation!!

a reservation is an agreement. They book they pay. End of story.
Anyone who has a real issue KNOWS they will eat it and does not bother fighting it. The fighters are the problem makers, so be ware.
Weather in the midwest - towns flooding. Not here, it is sunny and blue skies. What should I do? I guess have a heart comes to mind, but honestly they last thing they would think of it calling they would just no show. So each situation warrants indiv solutions in my mind,

Back