Cancellation policy- at least they're honest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have our cancellation policies in place because they force people to "have some skin in the game." We have had people try to cancel at the last minute because the weather might not be perfect. Once they were reminded of our cancellation policy, they changed their minds. I always assure people who cancel within our "no refund" timeframe that we will be happy to refund their deposit (minus a $25 fee) if we are able to rent the room/cabin for the nights they reserved.
I have learned that people lie like rugs to get out of paying. I include the following in my confirmation letter (also on my website):
"Your deposit insures that your accommodations will be available as confirmed. It also insures us that the accommodations are sold as confirmed, meaning that we have taken your room or cabin “off the market” for the dates you requested. Therefore, please understand that if situations arise that require you to cancel within the abovementioned timeframes, we certainly sympathize, but we must adhere to our business policy of no refunds. Of course, if we are able to rebook your room or cabin for the dates you reserved, we will be happy to refund your deposit.".
When we started running our B&B we didn't charge deposits and for the most part people are honest and the No Shows where few and far between, although still very annoying.
Then one August we had a booking for a couple for 2 nights and they didn't turn up. SO about 10.30 I phoned the mobile number they gave when they booked. It was obvious I had woken them up. I said "This is xxx House, we were wondering what time you will be arriving this evening?". The reply was "Oh, we didn't realise how far it is from Edinburgh to Inverness, so we decided to stay in Edinburgh instead". TO which I replied "And when did you inend letting us know this?". He said "I guess we should have phoned".
I came off the phone furious and said to the other 'arf "That's it, not taking any more bookings without a deposit".

We have our cancellation policies in place because they force people to "have some skin in the game." We have had people try to cancel at the last minute because the weather might not be perfect. Once they were reminded of our cancellation policy, they changed their minds. I always assure people who cancel within our "no refund" timeframe that we will be happy to refund their deposit (minus a $25 fee) if we are able to rent the room/cabin for the nights they reserved.
I have learned that people lie like rugs to get out of paying. I include the following in my confirmation letter (also on my website):
"Your deposit insures that your accommodations will be available as confirmed. It also insures us that the accommodations are sold as confirmed, meaning that we have taken your room or cabin “off the market” for the dates you requested. Therefore, please understand that if situations arise that require you to cancel within the abovementioned timeframes, we certainly sympathize, but we must adhere to our business policy of no refunds. Of course, if we are able to rebook your room or cabin for the dates you reserved, we will be happy to refund your deposit.".
When we started running our B&B we didn't charge deposits and for the most part people are honest and the No Shows where few and far between, although still very annoying.
Then one August we had a booking for a couple for 2 nights and they didn't turn up. SO about 10.30 I phoned the mobile number they gave when they booked. It was obvious I had woken them up. I said "This is xxx House, we were wondering what time you will be arriving this evening?". The reply was "Oh, we didn't realise how far it is from Edinburgh to Inverness, so we decided to stay in Edinburgh instead". TO which I replied "And when did you inend letting us know this?". He said "I guess we should have phoned".
I came off the phone furious and said to the other 'arf "That's it, not taking any more bookings without a deposit".
We started taking deposits this year. Not sure if it is making any difference in overall cancellations or not. So far this year we have had about 50 valid cancels. (The others are accounting issues with someone changing rooms or coming on a different day or something else that didn't result in the room not being taken by the person who booked it.) Last year it was about the same, so it doesn't look like it's made any difference in those who book and then cancel. I don't think we've made any money on it, either, as almost everyone has cancelled before the card was charged anyway. Or, we rebooked the room.
Next year we institute the cancellation fee and see what that does.

We started taking deposits this year. Not sure if it is making any difference in overall cancellations or not. So far this year we have had about 50 valid cancels. (The others are accounting issues with someone changing rooms or coming on a different day or something else that didn't result in the room not being taken by the person who booked it.) Last year it was about the same, so it doesn't look like it's made any difference in those who book and then cancel. I don't think we've made any money on it, either, as almost everyone has cancelled before the card was charged anyway. Or, we rebooked the room.
You might get the same amount of cancels, but at least you'll get paid a little for your aggrivation.

No disrespect intended but:
Americans' in general do seem to have a more flippant attitude to bookings and cancellations compared to other nationalities, don't know why that is. Maybe accommodation providers are more relaxed about deposits in the US, compared to Europe.
They are the most likely to pay the deposit and then months later come back and say "we're sorting out our itinerary and we have to change the dates". What? Why have you booked the rooms when you haven't sorted out your itinerary? They cancel, they change rooms, there was 4 of them, now it's only 2. It's not just me, other B&B owners around here say the same.
Case in point: I took a booking in August for 6 people for 4 nights in December, great booking for that time of year. Hurrah! Two weeks later they get in touch "There's only going to 4 of us in two rooms now". What? Why book rooms when you don't even know who's travelling.
Gross generalisation I Know, but Americans' are the worst for this by a long chalk.

Americans' in general do seem to have a more flippant attitude to bookings and cancellations compared to other nationalities, don't know why that is. Maybe accommodation providers are more relaxed about deposits in the US, compared to Europe.
They are the most likely to pay the deposit and then months later come back and say "we're sorting out our itinerary and we have to change the dates". What? Why have you booked the rooms when you haven't sorted out your itinerary? They cancel, they change rooms, there was 4 of them, now it's only 2. It's not just me, other B&B owners around here say the same.
Case in point: I took a booking in August for 6 people for 4 nights in December, great booking for that time of year. Hurrah! Two weeks later they get in touch "There's only going to 4 of us in two rooms now". What? Why book rooms when you don't even know who's travelling.
Gross generalisation I Know, but Americans' are the worst for this by a long chalk.
Highlands John said:
Americans' in general do seem to have a more flippant attitude to bookings and cancellations compared to other nationalities, don't know why that is. Maybe accommodation providers are more relaxed about deposits in the US, compared to Europe. ....
Having lived in Europe and the US, it's probably because in Europe a HUGE majority of travel bookings are done by Tour Operators, so they generally plan the WHOLE trip for the customer, the TO has a much better idea of distances, planning, knowledge of the area etc and is very specific from the outset regarding deposits, prepayment etc
TO's are very uncommon in the US (although they are starting to spring up) and most Travel Agencies of course closed down with the upsurge in internet travel booking.

Highlands John said:
Americans' in general do seem to have a more flippant attitude to bookings and cancellations compared to other nationalities, don't know why that is. Maybe accommodation providers are more relaxed about deposits in the US, compared to Europe. ....
Having lived in Europe and the US, it's probably because in Europe a HUGE majority of travel bookings are done by Tour Operators, so they generally plan the WHOLE trip for the customer, the TO has a much better idea of distances, planning, knowledge of the area etc and is very specific from the outset regarding deposits, prepayment etc
TO's are very uncommon in the US (although they are starting to spring up) and most Travel Agencies of course closed down with the upsurge in internet travel booking.
I deal with a lot of Europeans and all of my European guests book directly with me. (I have to assume that the "voucher" people were in fact using a TO as you suggest.) So I guess my experience may vary.
Almost all of my cancellations are North Americans. I have very rarely seen a cancellation from an International guest. Canadians seem to cancel early... almost all my cancellation fees are from American guests.
I have had only one no-show and that was a European guest.

Highlands John said:
There is a strange air of "entitlement" that I am seeing in the American public these days. At first I thought they were just the children of my generation. But no, some of them are my age as well. They don't think that any rules or regulations apply to them. I find it strange as I was certainly not brought up that way. I am originally from San Francisco, my parents were from the East Coast.
Riki

There is a strange air of "entitlement" that I am seeing in the American public these days. At first I thought they were just the children of my generation. But no, some of them are my age as well. They don't think that any rules or regulations apply to them. I find it strange as I was certainly not brought up that way. I am originally from San Francisco, my parents were from the East Coast.
Same here Riki.
But it does not stop at the border... one of the worst I have had recently came from across the pond - changed 3 times, demanding as well. Not typical, but we can't say it doesn't happen with all nationalities because it does! Maybe it is rubbing off onto the world..
embaressed_smile.gif

Same here Riki.
But it does not stop at the border... one of the worst I have had recently came from across the pond - changed 3 times, demanding as well. Not typical, but we can't say it doesn't happen with all nationalities because it does! Maybe it is rubbing off onto the world..
embaressed_smile.gif
copperhead said:
Same here Riki.
embaressed_smile.gif
Some people are just jerks. It doesn't matter where they come from. Fortunately, the are not the norm.

There are the well traveled, and the rest. When a person plans a holiday which includes flights and rental cars and tours, they get all their ducks in a row. They cannot (unless something else changed on them somewhere else) cannot make a minor adjustment anywhere or else screw up the entire itinerary.
This is how it is, unfortunately not all people are good planners, so those are the ones who realize afterward, gee that will be an 8 hour drive from point a to point b. People in foreign countries do not get distances until they are there. It is the same world wide.
So then there are those who just wing it and plan their trip and realize it might not work out the way they had planned. People from o/s ask me how long it will take. My response, traffic? accidents? when are you driving thru there? It makes a huge difference, example, leaving DC at 11am vs 3pm. But I do know one thing, people try to push it too much, they arrive here harried, they arrive here frustrated, they see NOTHING, i repeat NOTHING in our area if they are here one night. They say they have been here, they have not. They missed it entirely!

You might get the same amount of cancels, but at least you'll get paid a little for your aggrivation.
Breakfast Diva said:
A little. Most are cancelling before I charge the card (1 week in advance). I do the 1 week because we DO get so many cancels that it seemed foolish to charge at booking for something I'd be refunding without also charging the cancel fee. Next year we charge at booking and have a cancel fee.

There are the well traveled, and the rest. When a person plans a holiday which includes flights and rental cars and tours, they get all their ducks in a row. They cannot (unless something else changed on them somewhere else) cannot make a minor adjustment anywhere or else screw up the entire itinerary.
This is how it is, unfortunately not all people are good planners, so those are the ones who realize afterward, gee that will be an 8 hour drive from point a to point b. People in foreign countries do not get distances until they are there. It is the same world wide.
So then there are those who just wing it and plan their trip and realize it might not work out the way they had planned. People from o/s ask me how long it will take. My response, traffic? accidents? when are you driving thru there? It makes a huge difference, example, leaving DC at 11am vs 3pm. But I do know one thing, people try to push it too much, they arrive here harried, they arrive here frustrated, they see NOTHING, i repeat NOTHING in our area if they are here one night. They say they have been here, they have not. They missed it entirely!.
Joey Bloggs said:
people try to push it too much, they arrive here harried, they arrive here frustrated, they see NOTHING, i repeat NOTHING in our area if they are here one night. They say they have been here, they have not. They missed it entirely!
Living at the speed of life...

So then there are those who just wing it and plan their trip and realize it might not work out the way they had planned. People from o/s ask me how long it will take. My response, traffic? accidents? when are you driving thru there? It makes a huge difference, example, leaving DC at 11am vs 3pm. But I do know one thing, people try to push it too much, they arrive here harried, they arrive here frustrated, they see NOTHING, i repeat NOTHING in our area if they are here one night. They say they have been here, they have not. They missed it entirely!.
We recently had a guest that believed they could maximize their trip by driving at night. (They did self check-in, so we didn't have to stay up.)
But they would spend the day, drive to the next city after 6PM. To me, that doesn't really sound like a vacation.... but they liked it.

Breakfast Diva said:
A little. Most are cancelling before I charge the card (1 week in advance). I do the 1 week because we DO get so many cancels that it seemed foolish to charge at booking for something I'd be refunding without also charging the cancel fee. Next year we charge at booking and have a cancel fee.
Just curious why you're waiting til next year? Why not just start now? (Not criticizing...just curious)

Breakfast Diva said:
Just curious why you're waiting til next year? Why not just start now? (Not criticizing...just curious)
InnBloom said:
No one who has a rez for this year will be expecting to be charged a cancel fee. So, we'll institute it for reservations for next year, but closer to the end of this year so I'M not confused! If I miss a few for next year, so be it. I missed taking a few deposits this year. It just gets too busy sometimes.

Breakfast Diva said:
InnBloom said:
No one who has a rez for this year will be expecting to be charged a cancel fee. So, we'll institute it for reservations for next year, but closer to the end of this year so I'M not confused! If I miss a few for next year, so be it. I missed taking a few deposits this year. It just gets too busy sometimes.
Makes sense.

Back