Cancellation policy- at least they're honest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
Found this cancellation policy and it made me chuckle:
Cancellations & Refund Policy
Ok….So I tried to have a cancellation and refund policy, and I never stuck to it. I thought I could, but I can't.
If you reserve a room, please come. If you can't, please call as soon as you know you can't.

whattha.gif

In a way I really love that...

whattha.gif

In a way I really love that....
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif

Me, too...I thought of you when I read it. It just sounds like the same way you think!
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif

Me, too...I thought of you when I read it. It just sounds like the same way you think!
That whining voice "Don't taze me bro" kind of replays in my head when I read that "policy".

Yep, I can easily understand that :)
My husbands policy was "whatever" Why do you care? If they can't come, let it go and move on. "Don't give yourself more grief than you need."
Of course it always really bothered me, but I "tried" to be ok with it. We never had that many cancellations and never any no shows so I guess we were lucky.

Yeah, sometimes I think enforcing rules causes more stress and problems than it's worth. On the other hand, none of us wants to be walked all over and taken advantage of.
Of course you could post a policy and not enforce it, but that just puts the screws to the ones who are good and follow the posted policy, and lets the bad ones get away with it.
What to do. What to do.

Don't you wish it could just be that simple and that people would actually CARE!
poke.gif

Yeah, sometimes I think enforcing rules causes more stress and problems than it's worth. On the other hand, none of us wants to be walked all over and taken advantage of.
Of course you could post a policy and not enforce it, but that just puts the screws to the ones who are good and follow the posted policy, and lets the bad ones get away with it.
What to do. What to do..
I think you can post "your policies" and then you decide "when, if and with whom" you really want to enforce them. No you can't let people walk all over you and you do have a business to run and that takes time and money. You decide what it is worth to you and your business.

What to do. What to do..
I think you can post "your policies" and then you decide "when, if and with whom" you really want to enforce them. No you can't let people walk all over you and you do have a business to run and that takes time and money. You decide what it is worth to you and your business.
catlady said:
I think you can post "your policies" and then you decide "when, if and with whom" you really want to enforce them.
They will morph as you go about your business... I think it's important to bend with the wind in this business. If you don't bend with the wind, you WILL break.
NOT 'bend' as in : Bend and give in and let folks have their way
'Bend' as in: Be flexible- with yourself, your business, and your guests.
I have a friend who told me the other day that she and her husband work only as much as they have to. (They aren't innkeepers- they are farmers.) At the end of the day, if they have killed themselves to the point of emotional, physical, or mental exhaustion, it is difficult to get out of bed the next day. They prefer to do what needs to be done. And then be done with their work and enjoy the rest of their lives. Yes, they farm. Have animals. Milk cows. Work 20 hour days (no joke) when the weather is right or if the job needs getting done. But it waxes and wanes.
She told me that at the end of her life, it won't matter how many 20 hour days she put in, but it will matter what ELSE she did.

Lest we forget "I am the boss!" So in other words, I choose how to run this business. I think we forget that at times, if someone is a royal pain in the patooty "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" or if they are as sweet as pie,"Ssure thing, no worries mate!"
I just saw this quote:
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]"Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach." ~ Tony Robbins[/COLOR]
...and my own theory, nothing oh nothing is worth health degradation and lack of sleep over, not in this B&B. Pride is an issue for too many of us innkeepers when we will not bend in our policies, to the death, no matter what. They feel disrespected and will not ever let it go. But sometimes we just need to roll with the punches...I had the worst guest of all time in this B&B this year and I will not, under any circumstances give that person control over my mental well being, or controlling my thoughts. It upset me for days after ward anyway! That is where I stand on this, and THAT is why I liked what Penelope shared.
It is never worth it. As I say here, but not "out there" I would rather pay the person to leave the premises than to deal with them for weeks or months, in any form or fashion. I appear tough on the policies, 100%, but it is up to my discretion how I enforce them.

Lest we forget "I am the boss!" So in other words, I choose how to run this business. I think we forget that at times, if someone is a royal pain in the patooty "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" or if they are as sweet as pie,"Ssure thing, no worries mate!"
I just saw this quote:
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]"Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach." ~ Tony Robbins[/COLOR]
...and my own theory, nothing oh nothing is worth health degradation and lack of sleep over, not in this B&B. Pride is an issue for too many of us innkeepers when we will not bend in our policies, to the death, no matter what. They feel disrespected and will not ever let it go. But sometimes we just need to roll with the punches...I had the worst guest of all time in this B&B this year and I will not, under any circumstances give that person control over my mental well being, or controlling my thoughts. It upset me for days after ward anyway! That is where I stand on this, and THAT is why I liked what Penelope shared.
It is never worth it. As I say here, but not "out there" I would rather pay the person to leave the premises than to deal with them for weeks or months, in any form or fashion. I appear tough on the policies, 100%, but it is up to my discretion how I enforce them..
Amen, JB! Well said.
Along the same lines of eliminating people who are a PITA, I'd also advocate eliminating THINGS one considers a PITA. For instance, if you don't like hosting weddings, don't do it. Find another less stressful way to make ends meet. Do the things you like to do, to the max, and eliminate the rest. Life will be better, and longer as a result.
Now, if I can just practice what I preach.
Reminds me of a quote famous in Arkansas by our former governor and huge embarassment named Orville Faubus: do as I say, not as i do.

Actually, that sounds an awful lot like me, too, when I had my inn.
regular_smile.gif
Except I wouldn't have wanted to own up to it in writing on the worldwide web, that's for sure!
embaressed_smile.gif

I am learning day by day how much it's really worth it to me and my general well-being to eliminate drama from my life....

I just saw this quote:
It is never worth it. As I say here, but not "out there" I would rather pay the person to leave the premises than to deal with them for weeks or months, in any form or fashion. I appear tough on the policies, 100%, but it is up to my discretion how I enforce them..
Amen, JB! Well said.
Along the same lines of eliminating people who are a PITA, I'd also advocate eliminating THINGS one considers a PITA. For instance, if you don't like hosting weddings, don't do it. Find another less stressful way to make ends meet. Do the things you like to do, to the max, and eliminate the rest. Life will be better, and longer as a result.
Reminds me of a quote famous in Arkansas by our former governor and huge embarassment named Orville Faubus: do as I say, not as i do.
Arkansawyer said:
Amen, JB! Well said.
Wait- I thought my dad said that! ;)

I just saw this quote:
And then there are the weasels...'Well, everyone else I called to cancel refunded my deposit. I can't believe you are really going to keep my deposit. I'll remember that when I am able to travel again.'
Thank you reservation gods for making that come true! Why would I want that kind of weasel here anyway?

I just saw this quote:
And then there are the weasels...'Well, everyone else I called to cancel refunded my deposit. I can't believe you are really going to keep my deposit. I'll remember that when I am able to travel again.'
Thank you reservation gods for making that come true! Why would I want that kind of weasel here anyway?
Alibi Ike said:
We had one guy say to us, "You mean you're really going to stick to your policy? I didn't think you were serious about it."
Uh- yeah. About as serious as a heart attack.
smileystooges.gif

I just saw this quote:
Joey Bloggs said:
Lest we forget "I am the boss!"
Lest we forget - they are the customer. they pay the bills and they are the reason I do what I do. Or did. Or will soon not be doing anymore.
But that's the effect of the economy not of who is boss / customer

I just saw this quote:
Alibi Ike said:
We had one guy say to us, "You mean you're really going to stick to your policy? I didn't think you were serious about it."
smileystooges.gif

Penelope said:
Alibi Ike said:
smileystooges.gif
And that is the attitude WE foster when we do not stick to our policies!

I just saw this quote:
Alibi Ike said:
Amen to that. We can all do without booking from people that subsequently cancel......and the thing that always gets me is... what's the point of taking a deposit if you're going to refund it when they cancel.

We have our cancellation policies in place because they force people to "have some skin in the game." We have had people try to cancel at the last minute because the weather might not be perfect. Once they were reminded of our cancellation policy, they changed their minds. I always assure people who cancel within our "no refund" timeframe that we will be happy to refund their deposit (minus a $25 fee) if we are able to rent the room/cabin for the nights they reserved.
I have learned that people lie like rugs to get out of paying. I include the following in my confirmation letter (also on my website):
"Your deposit insures that your accommodations will be available as confirmed. It also insures us that the accommodations are sold as confirmed, meaning that we have taken your room or cabin “off the market” for the dates you requested. Therefore, please understand that if situations arise that require you to cancel within the abovementioned timeframes, we certainly sympathize, but we must adhere to our business policy of no refunds. Of course, if we are able to rebook your room or cabin for the dates you reserved, we will be happy to refund your deposit."

We have our cancellation policies in place because they force people to "have some skin in the game." We have had people try to cancel at the last minute because the weather might not be perfect. Once they were reminded of our cancellation policy, they changed their minds. I always assure people who cancel within our "no refund" timeframe that we will be happy to refund their deposit (minus a $25 fee) if we are able to rent the room/cabin for the nights they reserved.
I have learned that people lie like rugs to get out of paying. I include the following in my confirmation letter (also on my website):
"Your deposit insures that your accommodations will be available as confirmed. It also insures us that the accommodations are sold as confirmed, meaning that we have taken your room or cabin “off the market” for the dates you requested. Therefore, please understand that if situations arise that require you to cancel within the abovementioned timeframes, we certainly sympathize, but we must adhere to our business policy of no refunds. Of course, if we are able to rebook your room or cabin for the dates you reserved, we will be happy to refund your deposit.".
cheryldec said:
...we certainly sympathize, but we must adhere to our business policy of no refunds.
I particularly like the use of "business policy", reminding them that you're running a business. You're not just running an inn for the great fun of it all, and the policies aren't just the result of an arbitrary whim. If the business is not a success, there will be no inn.

Back