Cancellation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a reservation for the 12th, they called today and told me they had car troubles and would be about 2 days late, if I had vacancies then. I did have 1 room left for the 14th, but at a bit higher rate. They said OK.
I will give them the room for the original booked room rate since they at least called and re-booked.
As of this moment, I am sitting and waiting for over due guests. One car pulled in, then backed out and left. Well, I don't think it was them, but if so, they are in for a surprise....the whole town is sold out, not a bed in a 50 mile radius....and I will charge their night since I could have rented that room 4 times over tonight.....
Well, my guest is off the hook...had an online booking this morning for that room.
Bree said:
Well, my guest is off the hook...had an online booking this morning for that room.
I don't understand that. If a person booked a room and cancelled they get charged. It is your prerogative to rebook it, none of their business if you do or not.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I don't understand that. If a person booked a room and cancelled they get charged. It is your prerogative to rebook it, none of their business if you do or not.
Well that depends on the wording of 'your' policy. Our policy states that IF we are able to rebook the room (entire reserved period) they will not be charged. If I have to charge them I sometimes provide a GC for a later stay. I say sometimes as I do not have that as part of my policy. Why, you ask! It is because sometimes you just 'felt' they were going to cancel, you know what I mean. If I feel the reason was an honest one and I feel they will book to come at another time, then I give the GC. If it is not used, I am not out a penny. If it is, I have retained a possible repeat guest.
Copperhead said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Well that depends on the wording of 'your' policy. Our policy states that IF we are able to rebook the room (entire reserved period) they will not be charged. If I have to charge them I sometimes provide a GC for a later stay. I say sometimes as I do not have that as part of my policy. Why, you ask! It is because sometimes you just 'felt' they were going to cancel, you know what I mean. If I feel the reason was an honest one and I feel they will book to come at another time, then I give the GC. If it is not used, I am not out a penny. If it is, I have retained a possible repeat guest.
Trust me, I undertsand how it is. Sometimes it is to STOP an irrational guest who will make your life miserable. OR - you thought they really had a legit problem when they cancelled, not just some lie. But don't put it past 99.9% of people to lie to get out of any situation, esp one costing them money.
I think innkeepers get used and are way too nice. That was what I meant by that.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Trust me, I undertsand how it is. Sometimes it is to STOP an irrational guest who will make your life miserable. OR - you thought they really had a legit problem when they cancelled, not just some lie. But don't put it past 99.9% of people to lie to get out of any situation, esp one costing them money.
I think innkeepers get used and are way too nice. That was what I meant by that.
I'm especialy leery of the ones who start out, 'What's your cancellation policy?' Now that could just be that they've been burned in the past, but it could be that they are the burners. The guy who wanted 2 rooms for Columbus Day but wasn't sure about who was coming didn't book when I told him that weekend came under our holiday cancellation policy...deposit taken, 30 days' notice, no refunds.

Back