Cancellation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Had a cancellation this AM for this weekend. Policy was explained to caller. This is for a reunion. (We didn't know everyone coming this weekend was coming for this reunion, no one mentioned it.) All other attendees have checked in. Every single one of them asked us what the cancellation policy is. It seems the person who canceled then called everyone else to see if they could, what, persuade us not to charge her?
Hubs finally said, 'Her cancellation policy is the same as the one you received.'

Not a help for you right now but I thought of a way to get them to rebook. I have been telling the ones that have cancelled lately that if they rebook with in 48 hours I will not charge the $25 fee. Well one is coming tomorrow and one came last weekend. They both thought they would just rebook and not lose the $25. It made them feel I was working with them and I was very nice about it. I am going to use this one from now on.
I think I would charge your guests if they cancelled with in the time alotted if you could not rebook. I have gotten a little more strick the older I have gotten. I would feel I would have to pay if I cancelled. JMHO!!
sandynn

I would be careful with the rebook thing. THey would easily say "rebook" then we will cancel within the cancellation policy OF THAT DATE.
We have talked about that - people changing the dates so many times and in the end cancelling. And then we talk about fees.

Not a help for you right now but I thought of a way to get them to rebook. I have been telling the ones that have cancelled lately that if they rebook with in 48 hours I will not charge the $25 fee. Well one is coming tomorrow and one came last weekend. They both thought they would just rebook and not lose the $25. It made them feel I was working with them and I was very nice about it. I am going to use this one from now on.
I think I would charge your guests if they cancelled with in the time alotted if you could not rebook. I have gotten a little more strick the older I have gotten. I would feel I would have to pay if I cancelled. JMHO!!
sandynn.
We've done that, too, and found it works very well for the guest whose reservation gets canceled for sickness or whatever. Wouldn't work for this one as everyone is here for this weekend for the reunion. They could come next week, but have no reason to!
Poor hubs thinks they found a cheaper place to stay and they're in town anyway. Well, how much cheaper is it going to be to pay for where they are AND pay me???

sandynn.
We've done that, too, and found it works very well for the guest whose reservation gets canceled for sickness or whatever. Wouldn't work for this one as everyone is here for this weekend for the reunion. They could come next week, but have no reason to!
Poor hubs thinks they found a cheaper place to stay and they're in town anyway. Well, how much cheaper is it going to be to pay for where they are AND pay me???
Bree said:
You will have to keep yours ears peeled and find out later! S/B interesting.

sandynn.
Bree said:
You will have to keep yours ears peeled and find out later! S/B interesting.
Oh, definitely. There's no way they can go the whole weekend without mentioning these people if they are in town!

I had a cancellation for this weekend, they too were coming in for a family reunion only they were the only ones booked here. I felt that they may have found other accommodations (cheaper) where other family members were staying.
She canceled by email, so I replied by forwarding her acceptance to our reservation confirmation email which at the top I stated: that due to the date of cancellation they would be charged for their 1st night stay unless we were able to rebook the room for both nights. I also suggested that they contact others attending the reunion In the event in hopes one would take the room but that if we must charge you, a gift certificate will be issued to you for a future visit. Then at the bottom I highlighted the cancellation policy part in the original confirmation.
Haven't heard a word from her since. The room is empty and yes she will be charged.

I had a cancellation for this weekend, they too were coming in for a family reunion only they were the only ones booked here. I felt that they may have found other accommodations (cheaper) where other family members were staying.
She canceled by email, so I replied by forwarding her acceptance to our reservation confirmation email which at the top I stated: that due to the date of cancellation they would be charged for their 1st night stay unless we were able to rebook the room for both nights. I also suggested that they contact others attending the reunion In the event in hopes one would take the room but that if we must charge you, a gift certificate will be issued to you for a future visit. Then at the bottom I highlighted the cancellation policy part in the original confirmation.
Haven't heard a word from her since. The room is empty and yes she will be charged..
We booked one night at a substantial discount ($35). We'll see what happens tomorrow night. At least these guests are not eating in the morning.

I had a reservation for the 12th, they called today and told me they had car troubles and would be about 2 days late, if I had vacancies then. I did have 1 room left for the 14th, but at a bit higher rate. They said OK.
I will give them the room for the original booked room rate since they at least called and re-booked.
As of this moment, I am sitting and waiting for over due guests. One car pulled in, then backed out and left. Well, I don't think it was them, but if so, they are in for a surprise....the whole town is sold out, not a bed in a 50 mile radius....and I will charge their night since I could have rented that room 4 times over tonight....

I had a reservation for the 12th, they called today and told me they had car troubles and would be about 2 days late, if I had vacancies then. I did have 1 room left for the 14th, but at a bit higher rate. They said OK.
I will give them the room for the original booked room rate since they at least called and re-booked.
As of this moment, I am sitting and waiting for over due guests. One car pulled in, then backed out and left. Well, I don't think it was them, but if so, they are in for a surprise....the whole town is sold out, not a bed in a 50 mile radius....and I will charge their night since I could have rented that room 4 times over tonight.....
Well, my guest is off the hook...had an online booking this morning for that room.

As of this moment, I am sitting and waiting for over due guests. One car pulled in, then backed out and left. Well, I don't think it was them, but if so, they are in for a surprise....the whole town is sold out, not a bed in a 50 mile radius....and I will charge their night since I could have rented that room 4 times over tonight.....
Well, my guest is off the hook...had an online booking this morning for that room.
Lucky both of you..
Mine too, that wasn't them who left and they got here at 9:30 PM

Bree said:
I don't understand that. If a person booked a room and cancelled they get charged. It is your prerogative to rebook it, none of their business if you do or not.

i guess I would charge a "no show" even if by some quirk of fate the room was re-booked (highly unlikely since the room is being held just for them!!). If someone cancelled late and I did re-book the room, then I wouldn't charge them.

Bree said:
I don't understand that. If a person booked a room and cancelled they get charged. It is your prerogative to rebook it, none of their business if you do or not.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
We state no charge if room is rebooked. I did change it last night so it now reads 'Entire stay is rebooked...' so there's no confusion about how many days of the rez I mean. The 'no charge if rebooked' is pretty standard here.
Altho some wil argue with me (go ahead, I can take it!) this is the room that I mentioned at the beginning where everyone is here for a reunion. With that room rebooked, the others would definitely have called the cancelees to tell them. THAT was an argument I just did not want to have.
I do know other innkeepers here who take the money regardless. And they have had the cancelees call and harass them when they see (via online booking) that the rooms are full. Like El always says, 'I don't need this crap.' (OK, El doesn't say it like that.
wink_smile.gif
)

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Well that depends on the wording of 'your' policy. Our policy states that IF we are able to rebook the room (entire reserved period) they will not be charged. If I have to charge them I sometimes provide a GC for a later stay. I say sometimes as I do not have that as part of my policy. Why, you ask! It is because sometimes you just 'felt' they were going to cancel, you know what I mean. If I feel the reason was an honest one and I feel they will book to come at another time, then I give the GC. If it is not used, I am not out a penny. If it is, I have retained a possible repeat guest.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Well that depends on the wording of 'your' policy. Our policy states that IF we are able to rebook the room (entire reserved period) they will not be charged. If I have to charge them I sometimes provide a GC for a later stay. I say sometimes as I do not have that as part of my policy. Why, you ask! It is because sometimes you just 'felt' they were going to cancel, you know what I mean. If I feel the reason was an honest one and I feel they will book to come at another time, then I give the GC. If it is not used, I am not out a penny. If it is, I have retained a possible repeat guest.
Copperhead said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
You will be out a penny if you sell your place and have a handful of unredeemed GC's hanging out there that you have to PAY the new owner for at closing.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Copperhead said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Trust me, I undertsand how it is. Sometimes it is to STOP an irrational guest who will make your life miserable. OR - you thought they really had a legit problem when they cancelled, not just some lie. But don't put it past 99.9% of people to lie to get out of any situation, esp one costing them money.
I think innkeepers get used and are way too nice. That was what I meant by that.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
My chances of a rebook are slim and none, so my policy now states - "If you cancel less than 48 hours prior to expected arrival or no-show a full reservation charge will be posted to your credit card". With horse reservations the stable fee will also be included in the charge (insurance will not give me a hard time for touching THAT money because the horse was not predent to be a possible problem.)
Many of my reservations are packages that include a lunch and/or dinner. The room charge does not cover all I would lose on a no-show or late cancel. After getting burned once or twice I instituted that policy a couple years ago. No GC - they booked, they pay.

i guess I would charge a "no show" even if by some quirk of fate the room was re-booked (highly unlikely since the room is being held just for them!!). If someone cancelled late and I did re-book the room, then I wouldn't charge them..
Samster said:
i guess I would charge a "no show" even if by some quirk of fate the room was re-booked (highly unlikely since the room is being held just for them!!). If someone cancelled late and I did re-book the room, then I wouldn't charge them.
Right, no shows are booked the whole stay.

Back