cancellations due to bad weather

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini

Reaction score
What policy do you have when there are cancellations due to bad weather. Do you still charge them?
We just had 2 cancellations for tonight due to bad weather, a snow storm.

I do not charge them. Our "bad weather" is a tropical storm or a hurricane, and even if they WANTED to come and stay, I don't permit it. I don't want guests during a storm. We are not sure where we will be. I give full refunds on those kinds of cancellations - whether they like it or not! :) Others in my business disagree with me and say that that's why travelers should have insurance for their trip. To me, I don't think it's fair for me to tell them they can't come and then keep their money.

From my policies page, online booking which they agree to, and confirmation:
Your deposit is refundable, providing notice of cancellation is received at least seven (7) days prior to arrival date. Notification must be made by telephone. Reservations made less than seven (7) days prior to arrival are non-refundable. Less than 24 hours notice or No Show are charged full amount of stay. Early departure falls within the cancellation policy. No Refunds due to rain or snow or inclement weather unless our roads are un-drivable.
I put that on there as sure they may be having a blizzard in South Dakota...here it is 68 degrees. Why would WE have to eat the booking? Not our concern. You book it, you pay for it.

I do not charge them. Our "bad weather" is a tropical storm or a hurricane, and even if they WANTED to come and stay, I don't permit it. I don't want guests during a storm. We are not sure where we will be. I give full refunds on those kinds of cancellations - whether they like it or not! :) Others in my business disagree with me and say that that's why travelers should have insurance for their trip. To me, I don't think it's fair for me to tell them they can't come and then keep their money..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I do not charge them. Our "bad weather" is a tropical storm or a hurricane, and even if they WANTED to come and stay, I don't permit it. I don't want guests during a storm. We are not sure where we will be. I give full refunds on those kinds of cancellations - whether they like it or not! :) Others in my business disagree with me and say that that's why travelers should have insurance for their trip. To me, I don't think it's fair for me to tell them they can't come and then keep their money.
If there were hurricanes here then of course all of that would be taken into account. Example of a cancellation due to incelement weather - this has happened to me about 3 times: They cancel as they are on motorcycles and it is raining. NO kidding.

As my husband ALWAYS tells me "why cause yourself grief?"
You or your guests have no control over the weather. It is was it is. yes, you will lose money if they cancel..but you can always just issue a gift certificate to be used later.
Take the high road on this one and give them a break. They will be grateful and they will remember that you didn't give them alot of grief about it.

You or your guests have no control over the weather. It is was it is. yes, you will lose money if they cancel..but you can always just issue a gift certificate to be used later.
Take the high road on this one and give them a break. They will be grateful and they will remember that you didn't give them alot of grief about it..
catlady said:
Take the high road on this one and give them a break. They will be grateful and they will remember that you didn't give them alot of grief about it.
I agree with that one, if at all possible and you feel good about it, issue the GC. But the policies in place up front help people from NOT asking or whining about the policies. :)

I hate this. We get this a lot in Feb. Almost entire weekends cancelled because of snow. Generally snow along the driving route. It's a pain. That is the only weather I accept cancellations for without charge. I just don't want guests driving here in it because of the money.

I hate this. We get this a lot in Feb. Almost entire weekends cancelled because of snow. Generally snow along the driving route. It's a pain. That is the only weather I accept cancellations for without charge. I just don't want guests driving here in it because of the money..
I agree..snow and driving in it..is the pits and I for one won't do it.
I have booked for the Mid Atlantic Conference as I am needed to do some training there with our VA innkeepers. But I have told them..I will not drive those roads if the weather is bad..and those windy mountain roads can be real treacherous.

I hate this. We get this a lot in Feb. Almost entire weekends cancelled because of snow. Generally snow along the driving route. It's a pain. That is the only weather I accept cancellations for without charge. I just don't want guests driving here in it because of the money..
I have booked for the Mid Atlantic Conference as I am needed to do some training there with our VA innkeepers. But I have told them..I will not drive those roads if the weather is bad..and those windy mountain roads can be real treacherous.
catlady said:
Seems like the western portion of the state is not the best choice that time of the year. Why is it typically over there? (Last year being closer neay Natural Bridge of course), but before that was over that a way as well. I wanted to go and was the same way, driving through SNOW SKIING country to get to it on my own, and it gets dark early and the roads ice up.
I will be out of state and country this year, it's out 20th anniv in Jan. (cruise out of Charleston)

catlady said:
Seems like the western portion of the state is not the best choice that time of the year. Why is it typically over there? (Last year being closer neay Natural Bridge of course), but before that was over that a way as well. I wanted to go and was the same way, driving through SNOW SKIING country to get to it on my own, and it gets dark early and the roads ice up.
I will be out of state and country this year, it's out 20th anniv in Jan. (cruise out of Charleston)
Road closures would be the only reason I'd let someone cancel. If someone wants to book to come here in the winter then they need to take the responsibility for checking on what the possible conditions might be. Having said that I seldom get people wanting to cancel. One time someone tried because it was heavy rain. I reminded them that they were coming to a rainforest. They had a good time in spite of the rain!

When the roads can not be driven on, flights can not come in,ice is awful or snow is deep deep deep, then it is cancel time. No the guests are not charged. I eat it and move on. I would not want guests on those nasty roads. At that point the wind chill factor is horrible too.

Back