Cancellations: What does it mean when someone books (e.g. 4 nights) then cancels 12 hours later?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not wanting to sound doubtful, but would you care to say hello first? We don't know you yet and would like to meet you.
welcome.gif

In answer, plans change, that is what they are "plans" and people OFTEN cancel 12 hours later, in fact, most of our cancellations occur shortly after booking. Could be they found some other really neat place to see or do and changed their route..
Hello, Joey:
I am the wife (and fellow innkeeper) of "Tom". We own the McKenzie Orchards Bed and Breakfast in the Eugene/Springfield, Oregon area. He's been posting since the summer of '09, and asked me to get my own account, since our views often differ.
As to the question of "changing their route", I doubt that these people did so, as they were undoubtedly coming for the USAA West track and field championship event at the end of May, not just touring Oregon. So I do suspect they were looking for another venue, and did not just cancel a stop in Eugene. I just wish people would either (not book till they know what they want to do) or (tell me the truth). I know that I am not the kind of person who would ever do this. I wouldn't make a reservation until I was 99.9% sure that was what I was going to do (barring some disaster, of course).
vacpacker1 said:
I am the wife (and fellow innkeeper) of "Tom". We own the McKenzie Orchards Bed and Breakfast in the Eugene/Springfield, Oregon area. He's been posting since the summer of '09, and asked me to get my own account, since our views often differ.
welcome.gif

Love that 'differing opinions' comment!

If this happens frequently, start charging a non-refundable $25 cancellation fee for ANY cancellation. It will stop the problem.

Hello "Wife of Tom" glad you joined us. We don't often get two players from one inn on the forum and many of us disagree here and here (ie on the forum and in our own inn).
cheers.gif

I will give my forecast for 2011 - even though we are half way through - is that we will see many more cancellations that normal, so whatever our policies we need to stick to em!
We are a lodging estab so WE MUST allow cancellations, it is part of our business, on our terms, so we need to be comfortable with those terms. What one person does another cannot do, at all in regard to policies. We have a fine line to walk to not turn away more guests than those who cancel. We need to consider this at all times.

Not wanting to sound doubtful, but would you care to say hello first? We don't know you yet and would like to meet you.
welcome.gif

In answer, plans change, that is what they are "plans" and people OFTEN cancel 12 hours later, in fact, most of our cancellations occur shortly after booking. Could be they found some other really neat place to see or do and changed their route..
Hello, Joey:
As to the question of "changing their route", I doubt that these people did so, as they were undoubtedly coming for the USAA West track and field championship event at the end of May, not just touring Oregon. So I do suspect they were looking for another venue, and did not just cancel a stop in Eugene. I just wish people would either (not book till they know what they want to do) or (tell me the truth). I know that I am not the kind of person who would ever do this. I wouldn't make a reservation until I was 99.9% sure that was what I was going to do (barring some disaster, of course).
My DH keeps saying - Do not count on it as a reservation until you see the whites of their eyes. I start counting 48 hours prior to arrival, after that it is SOL - I get the money.

Umm hold on, hasn't EVERYONE on this forum done something and then changed their mind? Booked a restaurant and not showed up, not even canceled? Booked a room res at a chain hotel with a 6pm release? (no cc required). Made a reservation and then changed it or canceled it? Made plans to go our and decided to stay at home? EVERYONE has a right to change their mind so even to ask why they would do it is surprising. Cancellations need to be appropriate to the location, the Inn type and the Innkeepers, no one policy fits all. In my case I don't charge advance deposits (in fact I only charge on departure) and that has always worked for me. For others they may need or want to charge on reservation, 30 days before or 7 days before. We need to balance our business, our hospitality and our common sense as well as what works for us. But here I have to say "May he who casts the first stone ......"

Umm hold on, hasn't EVERYONE on this forum done something and then changed their mind? Booked a restaurant and not showed up, not even canceled? Booked a room res at a chain hotel with a 6pm release? (no cc required). Made a reservation and then changed it or canceled it? Made plans to go our and decided to stay at home? EVERYONE has a right to change their mind so even to ask why they would do it is surprising. Cancellations need to be appropriate to the location, the Inn type and the Innkeepers, no one policy fits all. In my case I don't charge advance deposits (in fact I only charge on departure) and that has always worked for me. For others they may need or want to charge on reservation, 30 days before or 7 days before. We need to balance our business, our hospitality and our common sense as well as what works for us. But here I have to say "May he who casts the first stone ......".
We're commisserating on a problem that annoys almost all of us...guests who hold prime rooms on prime weekends and then cancel less than 24 hours after booking. Which generally means they kept looking and found something they liked better, not that they decided to not go out to eat that night.
We all get into the 'whew, that weekend is full' relief mode only to have to hustle again when the person cancels.
Everyone knows my track record with cancellations...I get more cancellations than some folks get reservations. It's especially egregious for prime weekends at the last minute. My first prime weekend is coming up and I'm just waiting for the cancels to start rolling in. Whenever we're full for a prime weekend 6 months in advance, half of those guests will cancel because something closer to the venue opened up.
Not a single one will tell me that.

welcome!
welcome.gif

it is puzzling and i have some ideas ... i used to have folks do that and sometimes i know they weren't sure which place to stay. i would be talking to the owner of the place across the road who would take a reservation from the same people. then they'd cancel with one of us. or sometimes both.
ps now that you've said who you are, you might want to hide your inn name. it's up to you, of course.

OK, just had someone cancel who stated they needed to change dates because the rest of their extended trip couldn't be arranged as planned. So, it does happen that way and sometimes people tell you.

You are gong to HATE my answer... but why does there have to be a reason. I know that our minds wants an answer to each question but sometimes there just isn't an answer. Why is the GOlden Gate bridge painted orange? Why is pi = 3.15149....? What is a question with no answer called? Why are TV sets called sets when there isn't really a set, just one?
Just be happy they called so quickly so that you could get it back in inventory for someone else.
If they booked somewhere else cheaper, then that's out of inventory and less of a competition to you. If they booked somewhere else because it suited them better, then be happy that they are happy and you get to meet people who want to stay with you. Maybe they couldn't get tickets to the event they wanted. Maybe their planned vacation days weren't approved. Maybe airfare changed. Maybe they realized that they had a wedding that weekend. It doesn't really matter in the end. But good that they called and it's open and waiting for someone wonderful to come your way..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
. . . Why is pi = 3.15149....? . . .
Ooh, ooh, ooh! I know this! Pick me! Pick me!
Ahem, because the relationship between a circle's circumference and it's diameter is a constant, regardless of the size of either.
You're welcome. ;)
IronGate said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
. . . Why is pi = 3.15149....? . . .
Ooh, ooh, ooh! I know this! Pick me! Pick me!
Ahem, because the relationship between a circle's circumference and it's diameter is a constant, regardless of the size of either.
You're welcome. ;)
All I know is that pi are round and cornbread are square.
tounge_smile.gif

OK, now I want PIE!

I
heart.gif
this forum! Reading this thread has made my morning....
Expanding on Eric's remark "You are gong to HATE my answer... but why does there have to be a reason. I know that our minds wants an answer to each question but sometimes there just isn't an answer."
The real question(s) are if they TOLD you the real answer A) Would you believe them? and or B) Would it make any difference in how you run your business?
We all get cancellations and tales of why they have to cancel, just how many times has that MIL died you wonder! They need to cancel, nothing you say is going to change that outcome!
The the real reason I may want to know the 'real' reason is if it may have an affect on the way I do business. For instance, if enough people tell me the were looking for a King bed instead of my queen I would put a King bed in my wish list for the future. But if someone told me they got a room down the road for $50 less than mine, I would say good for you and be done with it because I know my place is worth the difference.
So unless the reason would give me reason for thought - Do I need to change? Otherwise, I don't need to know.. Let them move on!
I also agree with Eric "Just be happy they called so quickly so that you could get it back in inventory for someone else." Sure beats the ones that wait til the day before your cancel date and leave you hanging with a room that you could have filled many times over!

I
heart.gif
this forum! Reading this thread has made my morning....
Expanding on Eric's remark "You are gong to HATE my answer... but why does there have to be a reason. I know that our minds wants an answer to each question but sometimes there just isn't an answer."
The real question(s) are if they TOLD you the real answer A) Would you believe them? and or B) Would it make any difference in how you run your business?
We all get cancellations and tales of why they have to cancel, just how many times has that MIL died you wonder! They need to cancel, nothing you say is going to change that outcome!
The the real reason I may want to know the 'real' reason is if it may have an affect on the way I do business. For instance, if enough people tell me the were looking for a King bed instead of my queen I would put a King bed in my wish list for the future. But if someone told me they got a room down the road for $50 less than mine, I would say good for you and be done with it because I know my place is worth the difference.
So unless the reason would give me reason for thought - Do I need to change? Otherwise, I don't need to know.. Let them move on!
I also agree with Eric "Just be happy they called so quickly so that you could get it back in inventory for someone else." Sure beats the ones that wait til the day before your cancel date and leave you hanging with a room that you could have filled many times over!.
We went thru a long time of getting calls that ended in no bookings because we didn't have a king bed. First chance we got, we bought one. Would love to have another room big enough to fit one in. (I know the point of your post wasn't about king beds, but it is a point that we need to listen to our guests' needs.)
But as far as why someone cancels, unless it is something I can 'fix' it does no good to know. But it brings up a point that if a reason isn't offered, it might be good to ask.
A friend of mine had a repeat guest cancel due to her traveling companion having just found out she had a serious cancer. Given the reason they were coming in the first place, to see their children, she didn't buy the excuse. And sure enough, she saw the 2 of them having dinner on the patio at a hotel. She did not refund their deposit even tho she had originally been tempted due to the severity of the (feigned) situation.

Sitting on this thread and sidetracking, I believe this will be one heckuva year for cancellations, so please be firm, stick to your policies, you are a business, it is YOUR business. I am sure the airlines hear every excuse under the sun, as do the state police pulling over a speeder. The rules are the rules. I want to back you all up and hope you will encourage me to be firm and stick to my policies as well. We will need this support this year y'all!
I had an physical "thurpy" appt today, whenever people see "self employed" on any form I have to fill in, as I often put that down and ask me about my business, cluelessly. I always give info and try to educate and then walk away shaking my head.
Gal today said "So basically you feed 'em, and then they set around all day there." Yeah something like that. NOT! I told them they are hiking, boating, sightseeing, some like to "set around" in the evening on the porch.

A trend I see here, or at least think I see, is that when it's truly a "legit" reason for canceling (i.e., someone is sick/dying/has died) the people are not worried about a refund. These emails always start with "I understand your cancellation policy but I need to cancel anyway...
And you know what? When they start with this I am MUCH more inclined to give some wiggle room. When it starts out (as one recent one did) with "I'm sure you can make an exception because blah, blah, blah"...nope, you're not getting anything then.

welcome.gif

Hello, Joey:
OMG

hello, i have been lurking for awhile and hope to have a b&b someday.
seems like people can just change their mind about where they booked, can't they?
there can be lots of reasons.

seems like people can just change their mind about where they booked, can't they?
there can be lots of reasons..
bnbtraveler said:
Here's the deal on this...you've been lurking, you've seen the issues talked about, you know from reading how busy we all are everyday but none of the reading, lurking or anything else is equal to the day to day operations.
It's similar to you yourself planning a party. You have sent the invitations out and responses have come in. You have closed the book on the event as far as how many are attending and now you are planning the food and all the other parts to your event. Then the cancellations start coming in. You may be hurt. Why aren't they coming? Did something better come up? Are they sick? So now you have to pull out your 'B' list and reissue the invitations and hope that at this late date other guests are still free to attend. Otherwise your party looks kinda sad with only 75% of the people you expected showing up.
It doesn't bode well for future parties you might want to host. You know everyone wants to be at the party with the most other attendees. It says, 'You picked the right place! You're clever!' Going somewhere that's empty screams, 'I may like this place but I might be wrong.' And you look for someplace else to stay next time.
That's why we talk this stuff over amongst ourselves. To help each of us understand because in spite of having people around all the time, innkeeping is a lonely biz. You do it by yourself. If you have a partner you're still doing it by yourselves. We all need someone to talk to outside our own heads.

there can be lots of reasons..
bnbtraveler said:
Here's the deal on this...you've been lurking, you've seen the issues talked about, you know from reading how busy we all are everyday but none of the reading, lurking or anything else is equal to the day to day operations.
It's similar to you yourself planning a party. You have sent the invitations out and responses have come in. You have closed the book on the event as far as how many are attending and now you are planning the food and all the other parts to your event. Then the cancellations start coming in. You may be hurt. Why aren't they coming? Did something better come up? Are they sick? So now you have to pull out your 'B' list and reissue the invitations and hope that at this late date other guests are still free to attend. Otherwise your party looks kinda sad with only 75% of the people you expected showing up.
It doesn't bode well for future parties you might want to host. You know everyone wants to be at the party with the most other attendees. It says, 'You picked the right place! You're clever!' Going somewhere that's empty screams, 'I may like this place but I might be wrong.' And you look for someplace else to stay next time.
That's why we talk this stuff over amongst ourselves. To help each of us understand because in spite of having people around all the time, innkeeping is a lonely biz. You do it by yourself. If you have a partner you're still doing it by yourselves. We all need someone to talk to outside our own heads.
oh, I understand Alibi Ike.
I have owned several businesses and currently do consulting from home which is quite lonesome also. There is no one here but me all day long!
But a party would not be like a business.
I would know all my guests personally which might be cause for more disappointment as my friends rsvp that they can't make it.
since they are my friends though, I would hope that they would not be so judgmental about my party if it were a small one.
I think there is a difference.

It's not whether it's LEGIT OR NOT, a person has the right to change their mind and based on the cancellation policy which YOU decide, they absolutely 100% have the right to cancel. If you don't want to have this situation, make every reservation 100% payable on reservation with 100% cancel fee. Not very friendly but it's your choice on the policy and the guests choice whether they want to book or not. But as long as our policy allows it I don't see why we even question the fact that a guest can cancel. And no we should not even ask WHY - it's their prerogative. Until anyone here can say they have never changed their mind on anything I can't see the issue here, have you NEVER taken anything back to a store???

It's not whether it's LEGIT OR NOT, a person has the right to change their mind and based on the cancellation policy which YOU decide, they absolutely 100% have the right to cancel. If you don't want to have this situation, make every reservation 100% payable on reservation with 100% cancel fee. Not very friendly but it's your choice on the policy and the guests choice whether they want to book or not. But as long as our policy allows it I don't see why we even question the fact that a guest can cancel. And no we should not even ask WHY - it's their prerogative. Until anyone here can say they have never changed their mind on anything I can't see the issue here, have you NEVER taken anything back to a store???.
So, essentially, just shut up and quit whining? Can't we have a conversation here without being scolded every time you log on?

It's not whether it's LEGIT OR NOT, a person has the right to change their mind and based on the cancellation policy which YOU decide, they absolutely 100% have the right to cancel. If you don't want to have this situation, make every reservation 100% payable on reservation with 100% cancel fee. Not very friendly but it's your choice on the policy and the guests choice whether they want to book or not. But as long as our policy allows it I don't see why we even question the fact that a guest can cancel. And no we should not even ask WHY - it's their prerogative. Until anyone here can say they have never changed their mind on anything I can't see the issue here, have you NEVER taken anything back to a store???.
She is saying she wishes she knew WHY. She is airing her desire to understand WHY they cancel just after booking. There is no reason to beat her up over it!
We all have thought this when we get a cancellation just after booking... She just brought it to the table.

Back