Cancellations: What does it mean when someone books (e.g. 4 nights) then cancels 12 hours later?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially as newer innkeepers, it is wise to question why. Are they canceling because we make it too easy for them? Is it impacting the way I want to do business? If I had a cancellation fee, would it make a difference? What if I charged a deposit? Are people making reservations and canceling because the "competition" offers something more/less than I do? These are all valid questions to help understand your market and how you fit in to it. It helps you refine your policies.
When I have cancellations now, I don't ask why, and it's because I've asked and answered those questions in the first couple years of business..
maybe it's as simple as they found something that they liked better.
do you think that guests will honestly share why they canceled if they are asked about it?
i would just say that i changed my mind.
Why wouldn't the guest be honest? What do they have to lose?
To lose, nothing. But most people are too shy or are afraid of hurting your feelings. How many people call you on the phone and tell you that they will get back to you... and never do? I just tell them to book online, they don't have to make fake excuses to a browser.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
To lose, nothing. But most people are too shy or are afraid of hurting your feelings. How many people call you on the phone and tell you that they will get back to you... and never do? I just tell them to book online, they don't have to make fake excuses to a browser.
I take names and phone numbers when they say they will get back with me. And then I call them the next day. Most say 'thanks, we made other plans' and that's that. That's the part I'd like to pursue. They have already rejected me, why not find out why. Maybe I can fix it.
Alibi Ike said:
I take names and phone numbers when they say they will get back with me. And then I call them the next day. Most say 'thanks, we made other plans' and that's that. That's the part I'd like to pursue. They have already rejected me, why not find out why. Maybe I can fix it.
Honest answer....
I can be extremely shy and private. (It's odd, because many people will tell you that I'm outgoing, but I won't even order a pizza on the telephone).
You would have lost me a long time before you could have called back.... I wouldn't have given you my name or phone number unless I was booking. I would have done what most people do, I would have told you that I wasn't sure and I would call back, and if you called me, I would have never booked with you, assuming that you were extremely rude to call me back.
So, I assume that they found something that suited them better. If they say they will call back I tell them that they can book on the website directly with $10 off. I know they won't call me back. They almost never do.
And no, I would NEVER call someone back based on their caller-ID either.
I wonder if this is just cultural, though. I mean we have US guests who often ask personal questions like relationships... (are you brothers?) a question that would shock most Canadians as just too personal.
Obviously if you refused to give me your name and phone number I wouldn't be calling you back.
If I miss a call because I'm scrubbing toilets, I will call back the number on the caller ID. I have booked a lot of rooms that way. Amazing that some people think it's proactive of me to call them. If they've alredy reached another inn they say they've made other plans, but thank you for calling back. They go on to mention how few businesses go out of their way any more.
American thru and thru. We are a curious people. We want to know everything. Quite happy with my naivety. I wouldn't ask if you were brothers, tho, I would assume you weren't.

Cutlural and regional can be totally different within in each country as well, you know even the old "country mouse vs city mouse"
We have had overseas guests who feel it is okay to ask how much we paid for our place in front of a room full of guests at that, maybe because they live overseas and think it is okay. They also discuss things many Americans won't, but then American discuss things depending on THE PERSON that many others would not.
E, as for asking if you are brothers, I am asked on a daily basis "are those your children?" Why? Because they have darker hair than I do. And yet my father (now white-grey) had very dark brown hair, as does DH's Father in New Zealand. I have had many guests ask these very words to the girls "Where did you get that dark hair?" and we have a PAT ANSWER they reply "God gave it to me." Some people say whatever is on their mind without thinking.
There are a few on the forum who mentioned they DO call people back on missed calls from caller ID. EEEEEEK! I would not appreciate that, in fact I signed up for some website on line and decided it was a crock and had them call three times today, I did not give my name, my phone number or business name, fyi, but they worked hard to find me. GO AWAY MARKETERS! :)
Within our community we have southerners and northerners. Northerners would ne'er be bold enough to ask about your family and children as southerners would outright, and yet Southerners would ne'r be bold enough to ask about your job, policitcal views or any of that. It is a fine line here, when we have south meets north and west meets east and then toss in some Germans, Brits, Russians into the mix. It makes it all interesting, "Variety is the spice of an innkeepers life!" I stand by that quote! I live by that quote!.
The brothers thing is almost exclusively from Americans. The Europeans aren't so naive.
I honestly dread it, now. I just don't know how to answer it without embarassing them or myself. I know, I shouldn't feel embarassed, it's not my problem, but I still feel embarassed for them.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
The brothers thing is almost exclusively from Americans. The Europeans aren't so naive.
I honestly dread it, now. I just don't know how to answer it without embarassing them or myself. I know, I shouldn't feel embarassed, it's not my problem, but I still feel embarassed for them.
"No."
IronGate said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
"No."
Too easy... because they continue until the point of where I have to spell it out. And frankly, by that time, I want to actually describe sexual positions to them.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
IronGate said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
"No."
Too easy... because they continue until the point of where I have to spell it out. And frankly, by that time, I want to actually describe sexual positions to them.
"No, we are partners." If they need to know more... maybe you SHOULD!!!
I've had Americans ask us how much we paid for this place. I just smile and say well the important question is how much is it worth, and my reply would be "you interested?" People don't think before they dive in to personal questions. Maybe it is because they are staying in our home and we are treating them more like friends, not customers.

Cutlural and regional can be totally different within in each country as well, you know even the old "country mouse vs city mouse"
We have had overseas guests who feel it is okay to ask how much we paid for our place in front of a room full of guests at that, maybe because they live overseas and think it is okay. They also discuss things many Americans won't, but then American discuss things depending on THE PERSON that many others would not.
E, as for asking if you are brothers, I am asked on a daily basis "are those your children?" Why? Because they have darker hair than I do. And yet my father (now white-grey) had very dark brown hair, as does DH's Father in New Zealand. I have had many guests ask these very words to the girls "Where did you get that dark hair?" and we have a PAT ANSWER they reply "God gave it to me." Some people say whatever is on their mind without thinking.
There are a few on the forum who mentioned they DO call people back on missed calls from caller ID. EEEEEEK! I would not appreciate that, in fact I signed up for some website on line and decided it was a crock and had them call three times today, I did not give my name, my phone number or business name, fyi, but they worked hard to find me. GO AWAY MARKETERS! :)
Within our community we have southerners and northerners. Northerners would ne'er be bold enough to ask about your family and children as southerners would outright, and yet Southerners would ne'r be bold enough to ask about your job, policitcal views or any of that. It is a fine line here, when we have south meets north and west meets east and then toss in some Germans, Brits, Russians into the mix. It makes it all interesting, "Variety is the spice of an innkeepers life!" I stand by that quote! I live by that quote!.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
"No."
IronGate said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
"No."
Eric Arthur Blair said:
IronGate said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
"No."
I've had Americans ask us how much we paid for this place. I just smile and say well the important question is how much is it worth, and my reply would be "you interested?" People don't think before they dive in to personal questions. Maybe it is because they are staying in our home and we are treating them more like friends, not customers.
copperhead said:
Partners? There is no shock value in that. If they prod too much, I go with the word husbands. Better shock value and maybe they learn not to ask, in the future.
We have had a few ask about prices. I give them an estimate, that it's 7 figures and that's usually enough for them. Doesn't matter if it is or isn't. I can get them off the subject by discussing that we can't get long term mortgages in Canada. Usually they are dumbfounded when they hear that you can't get a mortgage for more than 5 years in Canada. (Amortization and mortgage length are separate in Canada.)

OOOH someone is in a bad mood
QUOTE Have you had experiences like this, and what is your take on it?
and I gave my response. I didn't know we had bulletin board police.
agoodman said:
and I gave my response. I didn't know we had bulletin board police
Well now you know.
Alibi do you feel better now after making that statement? The person asked a question, I answered it.
You come on here hiding behind an "alibi" and think it's ok to make comments like "well now you know". People like you are EXACTLY the reason I moved away from this board for over a year. Have you stopped to think for one moment that your statement is cyber bullying (behind your alibi). I know you don't care whether I stop posting or not, but the reason so many people left this board is because of nasty low down statements like the "little one" you made. Just for one moment, think this, if that kind of attitude comes across to your fellow innkeepers and you probably don't even think it was a big deal I am sure, maybe a little tiny bit of it is coming across to your guests.
Oh no of course not you are shaking your head. Well think again. Maybe just maybe it's the reason some people have so many cancellations, so many people that never write reviews. I don't even think an apology would cross your mind but don't worry I won't be posting on these boards again, I am sure people are going to be thanking you profusely. The last time I stopped posting I had so many Innkeepers email me and tell me they felt the same way about the way some people responded and thanked me for standing up and saying it. One has to wonder why there are so few Innkeepers that post here.
You can email me if you can even think to apologize about how your "little statement" came across because I won't be checking the boards for an answer. Personally I don't think the thought to apologize would even cross your mind. Surprise me.
For what it is worth, for anyone that has not slammed the door and run off, I consider statements like this
and this
I didn't know we had bulletin board police
and then this long tirade that I am responding to now, look more like cyber bullying than anything said by anyone else.
You do this clever dance where you object strongly to a lot of things various people say, but then when anyone objects to your objections, you make it look like some kind of personal attack.
I like differing opinions and can appreciate people playing devil's advocate as topics get mulled over here, but this bait, snap, then cry foul routine is wearing a bit thin with me.

agoodman said:
Well now you know.
Alibi do you feel better now after making that statement? The person asked a question, I answered it.
You come on here hiding behind an "alibi" and think it's ok to make comments like "well now you know". People like you are EXACTLY the reason I moved away from this board for over a year. Have you stopped to think for one moment that your statement is cyber bullying (behind your alibi). I know you don't care whether I stop posting or not, but the reason so many people left this board is because of nasty low down statements like the "little one" you made. Just for one moment, think this, if that kind of attitude comes across to your fellow innkeepers and you probably don't even think it was a big deal I am sure, maybe a little tiny bit of it is coming across to your guests.
Oh no of course not you are shaking your head. Well think again. Maybe just maybe it's the reason some people have so many cancellations, so many people that never write reviews. I don't even think an apology would cross your mind but don't worry I won't be posting on these boards again, I am sure people are going to be thanking you profusely. The last time I stopped posting I had so many Innkeepers email me and tell me they felt the same way about the way some people responded and thanked me for standing up and saying it. One has to wonder why there are so few Innkeepers that post here.
You can email me if you can even think to apologize about how your "little statement" came across because I won't be checking the boards for an answer. Personally I don't think the thought to apologize would even cross your mind. Surprise me.
For what it is worth, for anyone that has not slammed the door and run off, I consider statements like this
and this
and then this long tirade that I am responding to now, look more like cyber bullying than anything said by anyone else.
You do this clever dance where you object strongly to a lot of things various people say, but then when anyone objects to your objections, you make it look like some kind of personal attack.
I like differing opinions and can appreciate people playing devil's advocate as topics get mulled over here, but this bait, snap, then cry foul routine is wearing a bit thin with me.
Hear, hear swirt.
swirt said:
It's not so clever. I think most of us see through it.

agoodman said:
Well now you know.
and this
Thank you oh voice of reason! Get the kids back under control please :)

Note from me - The rest of us have been told in the past when this sort of thing crops up to steer clear of it, so we are not ignoring and not defending anyone in particular, we are trying to leave it to the moderator to deal with. I just wanted to clarify that, as you know me and I would jump to attention when someone scolded others for voicing their opinion here. But it didn't need to become a free for all.
Keep on keepin' on. BTW There is an IGNORE feature on this forum, if someone gets your goat "put them on ignore" and avoid reading their comments. It has been effective for me, esp in this situation.

I would be soooo tempted to say nope we are gay really really gay! In the UK it is considered super rude to ask what anything cost unless you are explaining it was a super bargain ie "I just got these amazing shoes for $1" Any other situation you will get funny looks unless you are close friends. I think weirdly as one of the nations known world wide for its conservatism we are actually very liberal (no one beats the dutch on the super liberal front!) I think maybe its cos we have had tons of famous gay people like Stephen Fry, Richard the Lion Heart (robin hoods friend) and so on people are a bit more casual. Im not saying its universal there are always a few gimps. You will find as well straight european men are a lot more casual as well ie sharing a double bed won't phase them where as to ask two straight english men to share they would rather cut off their hands!

Here's an interesting cancellation policy I just found:
"Cancellations may be made at anytime. However, since this B&B does not overbook like hotels, refunds can not be issued. Your credit card is charged at the time of reservation. You may choose to purchase Cancellation Insurance for $25, which allows you to receive a 100% refund at anytime prior to the day of arrival."
I doubt they actually are giving them insurance..just a way to "cover the $25 service fee."

"Cancellations may be made at anytime. However, since this B&B does not overbook like hotels, refunds can not be issued. Your credit card is charged at the time of reservation. You may choose to purchase Cancellation Insurance for $25, which allows you to receive a 100% refund at anytime prior to the day of arrival."
I doubt they actually are giving them insurance..just a way to "cover the $25 service fee.".
VERY interesting!

I doubt they actually are giving them insurance..just a way to "cover the $25 service fee.".
catlady said:
I doubt they actually are giving them insurance..just a way to "cover the $25 service fee."
So basically they immediately charge for the reservation. Let's say $500 and if you want the option to cancel it's another $25. If you do cancel, you get to keep the $25, but refund the $500. I assume they are likely self insuring, so basically they make $25 extra and it costs them the possibility of not renting the room.

Interesting way to not say 'service fee' or 'cancellation fee'!

Interesting way to not say 'service fee' or 'cancellation fee'!
Yep that is what I thought. Interesting way to do it.

It may be that they are taking advantage of one of the options of a thrid party travel insurance company. I know any inn using rezovation or webervations has the option of offering the person reserving online the possibility of travel insurance.
I can't remember the fine details as to whether it was a flat fee or a percentage.

It may be that they are taking advantage of one of the options of a thrid party travel insurance company. I know any inn using rezovation or webervations has the option of offering the person reserving online the possibility of travel insurance.
I can't remember the fine details as to whether it was a flat fee or a percentage.
swirt said:
Really? Never knew... guess it's time to look closer!

catlady said:
So basically they immediately charge for the reservation. Let's say $500 and if you want the option to cancel it's another $25. If you do cancel, you get to keep the $25, but refund the $500. I assume they are likely self insuring, so basically they make $25 extra and it costs them the possibility of not renting the room.
deleted

Back