Cancellations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Someone on the PAII was talking about cancellation fees and it made me look at my reservations and my cancellations to see how many we have had and where they are coming from.
My question is this.... when you look at your reservation system, do your cancellations seem to biased? Do you find that some types of reservations cancel more often? High spends, lower spends? Specific rooms? Specific periods? Specific country? Specific state or province? Specific region? Specific age group?
~*~ NOTE ~*~
Please don't say which group. I don't want to point at any group specifically. I'm just wondering if when you look at the data you see anything specific about the data. Mentioning the group may bias other people's view.

OK, without giving any info - yes, there does seem to be a bias in cancellations.

We've only had three cancellations in 3 years. I think all of them had been made long-range and plans changed. Only one had to be charged.

We've only had three cancellations in 3 years. I think all of them had been made long-range and plans changed. Only one had to be charged..
I've had 68 since the beginning of the year. That's down from previous years but there's still time for guests to cancel the remaining 2 months. What I'm really curious to know is whether that cancellation rate is standard in my area, not necessarily anywhere else.
However, I see it as a money-maker next year. $25 cancellation fee ought to very nicely pay for my vacation in 2013.
I don't ask for excuses so I really don't know why guests cancel. Some tell me, some don't.

EVENTS.
Especially graduations. That is the demographic. Someone freaks try to book rooms everywhere then cancels them when Auntie Glennis can't make it or doesn't want to go.
The most cancellations are: For the furthest out dates, I have changed my booking calendar to only 11 months, or is it 10? I forget, this has prevented more cancellations than ever! WHy? People are here for an event, book for the next year and then cancel. Blocking the calendar for most of the year until our policy kicks in.
Secondly, the most cancellations now are within 24 hours. They book, they change their plans, and call to cancel, I have had this #1 this year. And they say "I just booked it last night! You can't charge me a fee!"

We've only had three cancellations in 3 years. I think all of them had been made long-range and plans changed. Only one had to be charged..
wow pt, just 3 cancellations in 3 years ... that's amazing to me.

Events, like JB said. I have about one month and two or three annual events that book up a year in advance, then other festival weekends throughout the year that book up about four months in advance. The latest was homecoming last weekend. Three months ago, I had no availability. Two weeks ago I had three cancels (of 6 rooms) and then one last minute cancel. Filled all but one of the cancelled nights. October's been like that this year.

seashanty said:
We've had a couple of no shows and unused gift certificates, but those are just $$$$.

Funny, I don't see cancellations around events. Then again, I only take reservations 180 days in advance. In fact when it comes to events I only wish I could get cancellations, I can increase the price and make more.

We have only had about 10 this year which personally I think is pretty good
1- The ladies daughter rang as she had died!
2- One they were a hen party (only 1 room with us) and the hen's stepson was diagnosed with lukemia they were only booked for 1 night and i literally put the phone down and it rang with a 2 night for the same dates so it must have been meant.
3- group of walking ladies - think they were more optimistic about numbers than was likley.
4- a no show
5- booked on the monday cancelled on the tuesday (the booking was for the thursday) don't know why but its weird.
there havn't been many others but then again people are booking a lot more last minute and so are less likley to cancel

In two years, we had only a handful of cancellations. There were all from groups, except for one dead grandmother or something. I never liked groups.

Here is mine! The further they book in advance the more likely to cancel..
copperhead said:
Here is mine! The further they book in advance the more likely to cancel.
I am just about to email 2 couples who booked on the way out the door last December. See if they remember they did that!

If it is a phone reservation and they ask specifically what my cancellation policy, I know what is coming down the road.

If it is a phone reservation and they ask specifically what my cancellation policy, I know what is coming down the road..
Bigbid said:
If it is a phone reservation and they ask specifically what my cancellation policy, I know what is coming down the road.
I won't book them if they call and ask that. they will always cancel. I try and tell them to call when they are sure.
RIki

Back