can't believe i forgot about this!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyMae

Reaction score
this should make for a good discussion. this happened to us about 2 weks after we took over our B&B. i can't believe i forgot about this. DH just said "remember when..." so i told him i was going to throw it on here..
Once upon a time,(a couple of weeks after we took over our B&B), the man who is the head of our C of C stopped by to introduce himself(try to get us to sign up) and invite us to the annual Chamber dinner that was taking place that coming weekend. we said we would try to attend. fast forward to day before the dinner...we receive a call for a 1 night reservation from a man who works for our state tourism assoc. the reservation is for himself. in conversation i mention to him that we are the new owners. he says how great that is & he'd be happy to discuss with us what the assoc. can do for us, blah blah blah... he says he will be arriving around 5pm the next nigh (night of the dinner)
next day (day of dinner) 5pm rolls around, no man 6 pm rolls around,still no man.since he told me he was not too familiar with the area i decided to call the cell # he gave me(at 6:30pm) to see if he was lost & needing directions. He answers & tells me that at that exact moment he was en route back home and that his secretary as supposed to have called & cancelled. oh, ok....
fast forward a couple of days later...man from C of C stops by the Inn again to mention that he missed seeing us at the dinner. ( we ended up not going because we were waiting for our guest to show(the man) and when i called him the dinner had already started & we did not want to walk in in the middle of it, it hadstarted at 6pm)
the man from chamber tells us what a good speaker they had, we asked who, he said "oh he was Mr. so & so from ____ tourism assoc. Dh & i never let on anything, we just said oh too bad we missed it. the speaker was the man who was supposed to stay with us and lied to me when i called him. he said he was on his way home when in fact he was at the dinner. reason i know this is because C Of C man said he started speaking at about 6:30, (the same time i called)
so i decided to write a letter to our state topurism assoc to let the know what had happened. the big chief gave me a phone call, told me that he was very sorry & also curious about the incident so he would be questioning MR. so & so the next day he was at work. i told him i was not trying to start a commotion i just felt it was a poor first impression we received of the assoc. he agreed. he called me back the next day after speaking to mr so & so. he said mr so & so told him he had decided not to stay at our inn because he had had an issue with the previous owners & that he did not know there were new owners. i told him mr so & so was informed by myself that we were new owners. Mr so & so lied! big cheif tells us he is sorry for the incident & will mail us a check to cover the costr of that nights reservation. i had not initially requested or expected any $$ but i sure as heck was not going to turn it down.
fast forward about 6 months....DH & i decide to attend one of our states restraunt/hotel lodging assoc/food shows. Low & behold, who do we run into!? Mr so & so representing the ____tourism assoc. we were at the table for a moment and happened to notice his name tag,he noticed out too (i assume,anyway) since he walked straight away from the table. we pretended to read brochures for a moment to see if he came back, he did not. we walked away down the aisle, i kept watching from the corner of my eye, and he returned immediately to the table when we were enough steps away. we feel he walked away because he recognized outr tags. the tags say your name & your business name.
so sorry this is so long but i can't believe i forgot about this incident. this incident happened about 1 1/2 years ago.needless to say we NEVER joined the assoc.
i'm really curious what everyone's reactions are to this incident.

Jaw on the floor is my reaction!! What a learning curve you had the very moment you ran the business!
And...to anyone wondering why we issue a GC in lieu of a cancellation refund when they give you a sob story. THIS IS WHY!
Innkeepers try to believe everyone and take them at their word. Let's say that MOST people are big fat liars, so it is better if you do NOT believe them, and run your business accordingly.
Even further - - I have found that those in dire situations - like I HAD TO RACE HOME FOR AN EMERGENCY are not the ones who call and haggle over getting their money back for a one night stay.
I worked with a lady who faked cancer treatments while she was out getting liposuction and running around on her husband. I do not put ANYTHING past anyone. Turn on the news and you will see anything is possible.
What a story! Thanks for sharing it with us. That man should have been FIRED from that position. Absolutely.

I can't believe that fellow kept his job! Of all people representing the Tourist Industry that takes the cake. His job should be to SUPPORT businesses like yours, and here he is doing the same old thing - he probably books at five places and then decides when he arrives which one he's going to stay at. Did he think because of his position you'd be afraid to tell on him???
unbelievable.
Riki

I am asking for clarification - was he a State Tourism Division employee or was he an employee of something like the West Virginia Hospitality and Travel. There is a difference in these organizations as WVHTA is NOT a State entity.
He may have been disciplined. The fact that he avoided you suggests that to me. HE is harboring a resentment. He may have been passed over for a promotion/raise or may now be on notice. Just because WE do not see the action taken - and this happens in the office a lot that because they do not know what happened and think nothing did the other employees are ticked but privacy laws and disciplinary actions are between the employer and the employee. The rules of disciplinary action follow the maxin - what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Interesting that he would have called for a rez if he had issues with the previous owners. He sounds like an out and out liar. Lied to you, lied to the boss, probably lies to all of the 'constituency' as well.
Was this the state tourism assoc, as in run by the state or an outside agency with the state name in the title. (Which I find so very confusing in my state.)

I am asking for clarification - was he a State Tourism Division employee or was he an employee of something like the West Virginia Hospitality and Travel. There is a difference in these organizations as WVHTA is NOT a State entity.
He may have been disciplined. The fact that he avoided you suggests that to me. HE is harboring a resentment. He may have been passed over for a promotion/raise or may now be on notice. Just because WE do not see the action taken - and this happens in the office a lot that because they do not know what happened and think nothing did the other employees are ticked but privacy laws and disciplinary actions are between the employer and the employee. The rules of disciplinary action follow the maxin - what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas..
he's an employee of My state (Blank) State Tourism Association

Interesting that he would have called for a rez if he had issues with the previous owners. He sounds like an out and out liar. Lied to you, lied to the boss, probably lies to all of the 'constituency' as well.
Was this the state tourism assoc, as in run by the state or an outside agency with the state name in the title. (Which I find so very confusing in my state.).
this is the state tourism association that is run by the state i live in
i edited to say: if anyone would like to know exactly which state tourism assoc. it is you are more than welcome to email me to ask. heck maybe some of you have already figured out where i live, i don't know.

Was this the state tourism assoc, as in run by the state or an outside agency with the state name in the title. (Which I find so very confusing in my state.).
i edited to say: if anyone would like to know exactly which state tourism assoc. it is you are more than welcome to email me to ask. heck maybe some of you have already figured out where i live, i don't know.
mollysmom said:
We can't email you...you don't have an email posted on this site.

mollysmom said:
ok i added it

mollysmom said:
ok i added it
guess it hasn't kicked in yet

Mollysmom - Yes I can believe this story....Thanks so much for sharing. Now I know my state office of tourism is not the only 'bad seeded' one in the country and my state one is nowhere near as bad as the local one. I could fill this forum with jaw dropping stories.
Edited to add: I feel that if your agency was on the up and up, that guy would no longer be affiliated with that association. As we all know it is hard to loose a gov. job, but they should have transferred him to save face. I am sure this was not the first time this guy has boldly lied and I am sure his boss knows of his story telling as well.
Bree I understand what you are saying about different associations, some here are state or local run and receive government funding and others rely solely on membership but by name you can not tell the difference.

For woman,it's also their time to shine and be probably the most stunning woman at the very least for their unique day. Although weddings highlight the couple,the bride will usually be the center of attraction. It is definitely accurate,but do you know that in most weddings,probably the most awaited component is often the grand entrance with the bride. Regardless of what type of dress you might be wearing, it could either be ball dresses 2011 or a line bridal gowns,one of the most essential thing is that you are confident and comfy in wearing it to create you look great. If you are into wedding preparing, it really is crucial to give the bride some assistance on modern wedding gowns.Typically,brides are overwhelmed by a lot of wedding ideas and sometime do not pay attention to her body shape. a line prom dresses will certainly appear great for brides who're petite. Simple bridal gown are typically designed with A-line skirt as it creates drama in the course of silhouettes. It does not actually focus on curves but rather gave a bride better shape. a line wedding dresses with straps will fit in different wedding themes. Hawaii themed wedding that calls for beach bridal dress will in no way be out of theme even if those are A-line wedding gown. a line dress are suitable not simply for the bride however it is also appropriate for the bridesmaid dres and maid of honor. Wedding themes vary based on season and time. a line wedding dress never goes out of style regardless of themes and season, your a line wedding dresses will usually bring that dramatic silhouettes. In all circumstances, the spending budget is something to consider. Practically speaking, cheap wedding dresses will appear elegant if it truly is appropriate for you wedding theme and if it looks excellent on you. It's going to undoubtedly make the best out of you.If you want a design which will surely fit your body shape, take the a line wedding dresses. Whatever you wedding theme is, A-line is suitable for formal or formal gown dress.

Back