Can't say that anymore

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We always tell guests they have to sign in (and in our case, pay up front). Just spent 2 nights at a hotel and I never signed anything in re payment. Not on check in or check out. Room held with credit card so they did have that.

We put everything through before the guest arrives so they don't have to sign anything here either.

I only get a signature in those rare instances where they haven't booked online.
When they book online they agree to the policies and the charge to their card. That satisfies me. Of course, I'm different as you know. About half my guests arrive, stay, and leave and I never even see them!
Those who contact me directly for a booking find a registration form waiting for them to get CC info and agreement to the policies, and I pick that up at some point in their stay so I can charge the card. I only do this for people I know well. People I don't know always book online.

I only get a signature in those rare instances where they haven't booked online.
When they book online they agree to the policies and the charge to their card. That satisfies me. Of course, I'm different as you know. About half my guests arrive, stay, and leave and I never even see them!
Those who contact me directly for a booking find a registration form waiting for them to get CC info and agreement to the policies, and I pick that up at some point in their stay so I can charge the card. I only do this for people I know well. People I don't know always book online..
Arkansawyer said:
About half my guests arrive, stay, and leave and I never even see them!
You can't miss us! 4 innkeepers rolling in off the Rock n Roll Highway...I will be the taller one.
shades_smile.gif

Those who contact me directly for a booking find a registration form waiting for them to get CC info and agreement to the policies, and I pick that up at some point in their stay so I can charge the card. I only do this for people I know well. People I don't know always book online..
Arkansawyer said:
You can't miss us! 4 innkeepers rolling in off the Rock n Roll Highway...I will be the taller one.
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
shades_smile.gif
I am the old fat one

I've alerted the local authorities to be on the lookout.
An Italian restaurant is due to open in a week, directly across the street from my place.
With luck a) it will be good and b) it will still be in business by the time you get here!

I'm pretty sure it's a state law that I have to get a signature on the registration form.
I was just surprised because I've had guests tell me they have never signed anything at a hotel and I thought they were making it up. No, it's true.

Arkansawyer said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
shades_smile.gif
I am the old fat one
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
shades_smile.gif
I am the old fat one
I'm the old fat one too!

We put everything through before guests arrive also, HOWEVER, I print out 2 copies of their receipts; one for them to sign for "me" and one for them to keep. I do this BECAUSE when we first opened we had a guest do a charge back (but I fought it and won), But this way, we have a 'signed copy' in case we ever have that happen again. The guests 'never' have attempted a charge back after signing 'my' copy of their receipt.

Arkansawyer said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
shades_smile.gif
I am the old fat one
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
shades_smile.gif
I am the old fat one
I'm the old fat one too!
Ice said:
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
shades_smile.gif
I am the old fat one
I'm the old fat one too!
Whippersnapper!!!

Check your merchant agreement with your bank. If we do not have the sign credit card receipt and the guest decides to do charge back -we will always loose. To our bank it does not matter that they agreed to our policies while making the reservation.

We put everything through before guests arrive also, HOWEVER, I print out 2 copies of their receipts; one for them to sign for "me" and one for them to keep. I do this BECAUSE when we first opened we had a guest do a charge back (but I fought it and won), But this way, we have a 'signed copy' in case we ever have that happen again. The guests 'never' have attempted a charge back after signing 'my' copy of their receipt..
Are you paying higher % by processing the credit card without it being present? That is what our bank does-if you key in and do not swipe or insert the chip they charge us higher fees.

Check your merchant agreement with your bank. If we do not have the sign credit card receipt and the guest decides to do charge back -we will always loose. To our bank it does not matter that they agreed to our policies while making the reservation.
April said:
April, I do agree that they want that signature. But there are more ways to win a charge back than just with a signature. I know, I have done it. If you have set your policies clearly and and they are on your website, in your confirmation and the guest clearly agreed to those terms, you can win. Not always. If a guest stays here, I get their signature as I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Back