Can't Take Any More

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
This summer we have been plagued by things breaking and it's getting to the point where it's really getting me down.
First one of the washing machines went, we had it repaired

Then the dryer broke so we replaced it
Then the dishwasher, took 10 days to finally get the parts and have it working again.
Now the dishwasher is playing up again, leaving a white film on everything, spent hours trying to work that one out, still not sorted
The TV signal is really bad here at the moment, and guests are complaining about the picture breaking up so I have to get someone to look at the aerial
Last night my printer broke, so I've had to go out this morning to get a replacement
Now the guests have told me that the shower attachement in their room has broken, so I have to fix that.
How much more !!!!

I can totally sympathize with you. I have all three rooms rented, the roofers got rained out yesterday after working a few hours and yesterday evening my guest informed me there was a leak in Rosi's Room. The previous leak had been in the doorway of the Harris Room. I go up to check it out - smack dab in the middle of the queen-size bed is a wet spot the circumference of a beach ball. The 7 year old was occupying this room on an air mattress (Dad had bought air mattresses for the hotel on the way in and it was a novelty for the kid - what are you going to do) so it was not a total calamity.
I put down the plastic with towels I had been using in the Harris room - nothing more I can do then. Today I will get out the hair dryer and work the mattress. Handyman daughter is coming next month with her boyfriend - they are going to have the privilege of repairing my ceilings in 2 rooms now instead of in one.
This too shall pass. Buck up. It is only things - not people. Things (although it kills the wallet) can be repaired or replaced. You have your loved ones and that is what REALLY counts.

HUGS
heart.gif

we had this not long ago - we have a house we rent out (id sell it in a minute if property prices would just go up!) and every month there was something breaking that needed replacing electric showers, fridge, oven, - things the handyman thought were fixed then broke again - felt like it was never going to end!

This morning, a knock on the kitchen door. "sorry to bother you but the toilet in our room overflowed....."
it must be going around.

I am going to tell you what a disillusioned DH said as I read this to him this morning. He said to look on the bright side, at least there are guests to pay for the breakage.
(He knows having guests AND having this stuff to repair/replace is impossible and stressful, but he wanted to highlight a bad situation for you).

Keep your head up. Does you dishwasher have salt? Some machines need salt. Or rinse agent?

Keep your head up. Does you dishwasher have salt? Some machines need salt. Or rinse agent?.
Apart from the heater and leak problems we had back in June the dishwasher was working perfectly. Suddenly it's leaving this white film on glasses and they look horrible. In fact you know when you open the dishwasher at the end of the program and sometimes you get little pools of water in the underside of cups and mugs, it's milky looking.
I did buy a supermarket brand rinse aid recently (I normally do this, but not this supermarket) so I've started using the expensive one, no difference.
I wondered if the salt or rinse aid dispensers were blocked internally so I set the machine on multi-tab and used, er, um.. multi-tabs. No difference.
I've run the machine empty a couple of times on "intensive" to make sure it's clean and I've scrubbed the filters.
I'm beginning to think I might need to call the engineer back, but I can't think what might be physically wrong with the machine that would cause this.

Thank you for all your words of support everyone. A very busy season and poor planning of breaks for us on my part make the problems seem ten times worse.

Keep your head up. Does you dishwasher have salt? Some machines need salt. Or rinse agent?.
Apart from the heater and leak problems we had back in June the dishwasher was working perfectly. Suddenly it's leaving this white film on glasses and they look horrible. In fact you know when you open the dishwasher at the end of the program and sometimes you get little pools of water in the underside of cups and mugs, it's milky looking.
I did buy a supermarket brand rinse aid recently (I normally do this, but not this supermarket) so I've started using the expensive one, no difference.
I wondered if the salt or rinse aid dispensers were blocked internally so I set the machine on multi-tab and used, er, um.. multi-tabs. No difference.
I've run the machine empty a couple of times on "intensive" to make sure it's clean and I've scrubbed the filters.
I'm beginning to think I might need to call the engineer back, but I can't think what might be physically wrong with the machine that would cause this.
Have you noticed any change in your water supply? Are you on a municipal water system, or a private well?
Did you change the detergent you were using? (as with the store-brand rinse aid)

Look to the drain screen/filter. Even if it looks clean, there might be something there that's not getting fully flushed out at the end of the cycle.

I guess if everything happened all at once, you're due for a long period of nothing breaking, right? You got it all out of the way =)

Run the machine with less detergent and add some vinegar and see if that works. People often put in more detergent than needed. Or worse, they rinse the dishes first and the detergent has nothing to "eat" so it etches the glasses. Vinegar should help. To me it sounds like the rock salt in the machine may have a problem.

I guess if everything happened all at once, you're due for a long period of nothing breaking, right? You got it all out of the way =).
If only that were true, the other washing machine packed up today.
cry_smile.gif

Look to the drain screen/filter. Even if it looks clean, there might be something there that's not getting fully flushed out at the end of the cycle.
No, the drain filter is all clean and clear.

Back