Car emergency

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Our latest guest just arrived on crutches. A slip at the airport landed her in the emergency room and she now has a 'walking cast' on her ankle and the crutches for extra support. We were able to swap rooms so she doesn't have to go upstairs. Hubs went out to get their suitcases and noticed the tire on their car is flat. The guests called the car rental and they said they'd be out in 2 hours. Guests are attending an event at 6 PM and need the car. Hubs is out there in the rain changing the tire. Amazingly, the spare is a full size tire so they'll be able to get around on it until they exchange the car tomorrow. Poor guests had planned a little down time between arrival and the event (the injured guest is receiving an award) and that time was swallowed up by the ER visit.

Once again proof that a B & B is where to stay. Can you imagine a hotel doing that? Changing a tire in the rain? They would have said call AAA.

thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

wellll .... err ... i don't know how to change a tire ... i'd have to call AAA.
but i could give the folks tea and cookies and sympathy while they waited.

but i could give the folks tea and cookies and sympathy while they waited..
seashanty said:
Hubs has a line he got from the Red Green show (eh, all you Canadians know that one, dontcha?)...'If women don't find you you handsome, they should at least find you handy.' Of course I find him both!
embaressed_smile.gif

Once again proof that a B & B is where to stay. Can you imagine a hotel doing that? Changing a tire in the rain? They would have said call AAA..
gillumhouse said:
Once again proof that a B & B is where to stay. Can you imagine a hotel doing that? Changing a tire in the rain? They would have said call AAA.
Also from the How B&B's Are Better Than Hotels department... Last weekend we had a family with a teenage boy. I heard Mom say to Teen: "See, if we had stayed at a hotel you wouldn't have got to catch that snake, would you?" (btw, it was in the garden, not the room!)
As much as he loved it, somehow I don't think I'll add 'interactive reptiles' to my list of amenities.

On a few occasions we've loaned our car to guests who arrived by limo, taxi, or bicycle and didn't have transportation to a restaurant.

Wish I had even a nickel for every tire I have changed.... Sigh. Of course that means counting my time as a tire buster.

Wish I had even a nickel for every tire I have changed.... Sigh. Of course that means counting my time as a tire buster.
You have changed a lot of tires? What is a tire buster?

You have changed a lot of tires? What is a tire buster?
When I was in Illinois, a new Mall opened with a Sears store. I applied for a part-time job to supplement my full-time income (6 kids are not cheap). On the application I indicated I knew one tool from another - hoping if nothing else perhaps hardware? - and was offered a position in the garage @ $1 more per hour than retail. I could get dirty for and extra $1 per hour. I also let them know I knew what I REALLY was when I told them I knew that the only person who could have beat me out for the job was a Puerto Rican black woman (meaning I was the token). And I actually DID do the job BTW.
A tire buster isthe person who when you buy a new set of tires takes the old tires off the car, off the rims, mounts & balances the new tires before putting them on your car. I also fixed flats, tested and installed batterues, and did oil & lube jobs. DH one Sunday was at the rifle range and found the battery died. He called the store, I punched out, took the new battery over and installed it so he could go home. He had no problem with his wife installing the new battery. I also had more than a few flats on my own "balogna skin" tires over the years - and many a man stood by and watched me change it darn it!

seashanty said:
Hubs has a line he got from the Red Green show (eh, all you Canadians know that one, dontcha?)...'If women don't find you you handsome, they should at least find you handy.' Of course I find him both!
embaressed_smile.gif

[/quote]
Hubs has a line he got from the Red Green show (eh, all you Canadians know that one, dontcha?)...'If women don't find you you handsome, they should at least find you handy.'
[/quote]
Round here the saying is:
If its got tires or testicles, its gonna give you trouble....
635886.gif

seashanty said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Bree said:
seashanty said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I have watched red green for years and years. keep yer stick on the ice.

seashanty said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Hubs has a line he got from the Red Green show (eh, all you Canadians know that one, dontcha?)...'If women don't find you you handsome, they should at least find you handy.'
[/quote]
Round here the saying is:
If its got tires or testicles, its gonna give you trouble....
635886.gif

[/QUOTE]
The Farmers Daughter said:
Round here the saying is: If its got tires or testicles, its gonna give you trouble....
635886.gif
Damned straight!
smiley-char092.gif

Back