Cards for Guests to Fill Out

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravensloft

Reaction score
Where I work, we (housekeepers, of which I'm the manager of) often run into timing issues with makes and turn downs. We're fed the wrong information from the concierge, someone stays behind but the car is gone, guests expect a room to be cleaned every time they leave it multiple times a day, etc. My idea (which is not a new one, I've seen it in play in other hotels and inns) is to have a card, with infographics and a basic explanation of a make and turn down, where the guest would simply fill out what time during the day they'll be gone for a make or at night for a turn down, or if they'd like to opt out of one, and if they need anything to call the front desk and we'll give them whatever they need. I figured it could be filled out upon their arrival, and they could hang it on their door handle. Housekeeping would collect them? If any of you use something like this, or if you have another way to solve this issue, I am all ears for any and all advice you may have! Thank you so much.

I think that sounds like a great idea ... they might not want to hang a card saying when they'd be out on their door handle ... but another method of retrieval and you'd have in their writing what they requested. Depends on the size of the place. A little place, I'd be okay with people knowing my plans.

ravensloft said:
or if they'd like to opt out of one, and if they need anything to call the front desk and we'll give them whatever they need.
We are a small mom & pop business and ask as you suggest at check in time if we should service your room or respect your privacy and allow you to ask for any needed services, small simple place so it works well for us, don't want to neglect a guest, but if service is desired, my window of time to provide it is in the morning when cleaning rooms of guests who have ended their stay.

I think that sounds like a great idea ... they might not want to hang a card saying when they'd be out on their door handle ... but another method of retrieval and you'd have in their writing what they requested. Depends on the size of the place. A little place, I'd be okay with people knowing my plans..
You are absolutely right about not wanting people to know the guests' plans! I had planned to have housekeeping collecting them the night of their arrival. We're relatively small compared to other properties--9 rooms in our main building, two suites outside of the main building. I figured I would leave a little note at the bottom of the card, asking to hang on the doorknob outside of their room so that housekeeping can retrieve it ASAP. If you have any ideas for a different method I need all the ideas I can get!

ravensloft said:
or if they'd like to opt out of one, and if they need anything to call the front desk and we'll give them whatever they need.
We are a small mom & pop business and ask as you suggest at check in time if we should service your room or respect your privacy and allow you to ask for any needed services, small simple place so it works well for us, don't want to neglect a guest, but if service is desired, my window of time to provide it is in the morning when cleaning rooms of guests who have ended their stay..
I thought about doing that as well, even having them fill out the card at the front desk as they check-in, but sometimes we have several check-ins at once so I don't want to keep guests at the desk too long.

ravensloft said:
We are a small mom & pop business and ask as you suggest at check in time if we should service your room or respect your privacy and allow you to ask for any needed services, small simple place so it works well for us, don't want to neglect a guest, but if service is desired, my window of time to provide it is in the morning when cleaning rooms of guests who have ended their stay..
I thought about doing that as well, even having them fill out the card at the front desk as they check-in, but sometimes we have several check-ins at once so I don't want to keep guests at the desk too long.
ravensloft said:
sometimes we have several check-ins at once so I don't want to keep guests at the desk too long.
Yes, at times everyone arrives at once, usually at suppertime, but front desk is me and I can still only assist one at a time.
For guests that have reserved in advance the check in process is quick enough, I've preprinted the form with their information so: check that their info is typed correctly - jot down vehicle information - check yes or no for service or privacy - sign form - payment, it moves fast, a bit longer for a walk-in guest if I have to type the information first.

just thinking about those guests with 'specific' requests you try darn hard to fulfill only to have them change their mind, change their schedule, change whatever and be annoyed that the chambermaid arrives to freshen their room at the time they requested. something in their own hand would be great to pull out to stop the bluster in its tracks (i hope!)
shades_smile.gif

i get it. things change, but don't get mad at my sweet 16 yo chambermaid for doing what you asked.

just thinking about those guests with 'specific' requests you try darn hard to fulfill only to have them change their mind, change their schedule, change whatever and be annoyed that the chambermaid arrives to freshen their room at the time they requested. something in their own hand would be great to pull out to stop the bluster in its tracks (i hope!)
shades_smile.gif

i get it. things change, but don't get mad at my sweet 16 yo chambermaid for doing what you asked..
Exactly! Having something like this would be especially handy come holidays/peak seasons!

After doing this for over 20 years we have found our sweet spot with this issue.
We tell the guest we do not come into your room unless we are asked to. Here is what we do.
1) Room tidies are available from anytime after breakfast until 1.
2) If you need a room tidy please hang your “Please make up room!” Sign on your door.
3) If you need anything outside of this time we are happy to provide them to you when we can.
There have been times people need towels at 6 o’clock and we have just sat down at a restaurant. I’m not leaving to go home to give them towels.
This for us has solved many issues.
This has also cut down on many room tidies.

I think that sounds like a great idea ... they might not want to hang a card saying when they'd be out on their door handle ... but another method of retrieval and you'd have in their writing what they requested. Depends on the size of the place. A little place, I'd be okay with people knowing my plans..
You are absolutely right about not wanting people to know the guests' plans! I had planned to have housekeeping collecting them the night of their arrival. We're relatively small compared to other properties--9 rooms in our main building, two suites outside of the main building. I figured I would leave a little note at the bottom of the card, asking to hang on the doorknob outside of their room so that housekeeping can retrieve it ASAP. If you have any ideas for a different method I need all the ideas I can get!
Fill it out and drop it off at the front desk.

Back