Carpet Stain of Unknown Origin

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
Before I yank the carpeting out, does anyone have a miracle cleaner they can suggest? This is an old stain, may be wine? My carpet machine didn't do a bit to it, various cleaners don't seem to either....

If it is wine or grape juice, mix hydrogen peroxide with orange or blue or green dishwashing liquid (like Dawn) in a rough mixture of 3:1 Rub it into the stain and blot it dry. If the stain lightens but persists, repeat applications. If it doesn't change much at all, it is not wine or grape juice.
I find Resolve spray carpet cleaner (in a red spray bottle) gets out most other things.

So how long has it been there??? YEARS? I too use RESOLVE for lots and find it good but if the stain has been in there for very long I am not at all sure you will be successful with much. Sounds like you have tried alot already.

I swear by a product called Tech Stain Remover - found in most carpet stores and sometimes in Tar-get. techstainremover.com Otherwise, putting a plant or lamp over the stain works really well...as long as it is not in the middle of the room!

Thanks, I will head out in search of new supplies and give it a new shot (shots). Yes, the stain is years old at this point, but it is worth trying to get it out. Wish me luck! Will also check out carpeting.......

I have a Hoover Steam cleaner that has always done a very good job. With our dog getting older and leaving little "leaks" where she lays down, it all of a sudden started to not work on getting those stains out anymore. I researched online different types of cleansers to use in the machine and what I found over and over again (and what turned out to work for me) was to use just a little bit of the soap that is called for in the Steamer itself, and then fill the reservoir with BOILING water, to which you've added 1/4 cup of white vinegar.
Our carpet is very light so I wasn't worried about discoloration (don't know if vinegar would take the color out or not?) but all the commercial cleaner people on the forums I was reading said the hotter you can get your water the better chance you have of getting the stain out.
So now in addition to lugging out the steam cleaner every week I get to fill all my pots with water as I get ready to do it...but it beats replacing the carpet (OR the dog)!

I have a Hoover Steam cleaner that has always done a very good job. With our dog getting older and leaving little "leaks" where she lays down, it all of a sudden started to not work on getting those stains out anymore. I researched online different types of cleansers to use in the machine and what I found over and over again (and what turned out to work for me) was to use just a little bit of the soap that is called for in the Steamer itself, and then fill the reservoir with BOILING water, to which you've added 1/4 cup of white vinegar.
Our carpet is very light so I wasn't worried about discoloration (don't know if vinegar would take the color out or not?) but all the commercial cleaner people on the forums I was reading said the hotter you can get your water the better chance you have of getting the stain out.
So now in addition to lugging out the steam cleaner every week I get to fill all my pots with water as I get ready to do it...but it beats replacing the carpet (OR the dog)!.
Call your vet. If you don't mind giving your dog meds, Proin works for those little leakages girl dogs seem to have as they get older.

So now in addition to lugging out the steam cleaner every week I get to fill all my pots with water as I get ready to do it...but it beats replacing the carpet (OR the dog)!.
May not know about old carpet stains, but I do know old dogs. Ike is right, the vet has pills which are very effective not not too expensive. Hormones, basically. I use my lil green cleaning machine to clean up after our critters. Does a good quick job, and is easier to lug out than the big ones. Good Luck with the ol pup. Thanks, will try your tip!

May not know about old carpet stains, but I do know old dogs. Ike is right, the vet has pills which are very effective not not too expensive. Hormones, basically. I use my lil green cleaning machine to clean up after our critters. Does a good quick job, and is easier to lug out than the big ones. Good Luck with the ol pup. Thanks, will try your tip!
We are so thankful. I had towels spread out everywhere I knew she liked to nap. It was always at night when she was really tired. Nothing really worse than jumping out of bed and having your sock feet get wet. Ewww. I was able to back her off to 1 every third day but now she's back on 1/day.
We're looking at one of those spot bot things for the lone remaining carpet (and for the inn).
We figure it makes life better for all of us. We're not cranky and cleaning up all the time and she's not being glowered at.

If it is wine or grape juice, mix hydrogen peroxide with orange or blue or green dishwashing liquid (like Dawn) in a rough mixture of 3:1 Rub it into the stain and blot it dry. If the stain lightens but persists, repeat applications. If it doesn't change much at all, it is not wine or grape juice.
I find Resolve spray carpet cleaner (in a red spray bottle) gets out most other things..
swirt said:
I find Resolve spray carpet cleaner (in a red spray bottle) gets out most other things.
I love the stuff. I carry it around in my cleaning kit with me because guests are forever dribbling coffee or wine on the carpet.

Call your vet. If you don't mind giving your dog meds, Proin works for those little leakages girl dogs seem to have as they get older.
We tried it and unfortunately Proin makes her sick (it interferes with her seizure medication). She's got a sensitive tummy to begin with, so I try to just deal with the stains. They're tiny at least, no giant puddles! I want to get a spot bot too, that would be perfect not having to lug out the huge cleaner every time.

One of our carpets has a couple of dark, discoloured spots that appear and disappear periodically. At this point I'm pretty sure it's something under the carpet that is affected by the weather / moisture. It hasn't got any worse and it's more often NOT there so I've swept it under the rug (pun intended). I keep the carpet really clean and have stopped having palpitations when I see the stains cos I know they won't be there for long.

One of our carpets has a couple of dark, discoloured spots that appear and disappear periodically. At this point I'm pretty sure it's something under the carpet that is affected by the weather / moisture. It hasn't got any worse and it's more often NOT there so I've swept it under the rug (pun intended). I keep the carpet really clean and have stopped having palpitations when I see the stains cos I know they won't be there for long..
The Tipsy Butler said:
One of our carpets has a couple of dark, discoloured spots that appear and disappear periodically. At this point I'm pretty sure it's something under the carpet that is affected by the weather / moisture. It hasn't got any worse and it's more often NOT there so I've swept it under the rug (pun intended). I keep the carpet really clean and have stopped having palpitations when I see the stains cos I know they won't be there for long.
If someone says anything about it, just say, "What stain? I don't see a stain." Then when it's gone, make a big production of getting out the cleaning materials and asking the guest where they saw the stain. "See, I told you there was no stain!"
Or, if your guest is up for it, say that your friendly ghost is back staining the carpets again, dadgumit! Yell at the ghost, "Now clean that up!" Then whisper to the guest, "It'll take a while, but he'll eventually clean it up."

One of our carpets has a couple of dark, discoloured spots that appear and disappear periodically. At this point I'm pretty sure it's something under the carpet that is affected by the weather / moisture. It hasn't got any worse and it's more often NOT there so I've swept it under the rug (pun intended). I keep the carpet really clean and have stopped having palpitations when I see the stains cos I know they won't be there for long..
Had same once, could not get it out of a wool rug except after many cleanings. I concluded it was oil soaked into the fiber from a long ago spill: wash and it appears clean, but the oil attracts/holds dirt better than the rest of carpet so it darkens on its own. Hated it, but honestly most others did not notice.

Have you tried oxy? Fels Naptha?.
I picked up some oxy to try, we were going to go over to the lodge, but had and ice storm, which turned into serious blowing snow. Will head over armed later this week, weather permitting. Will toss in the Fels too. Thanks

Have you tried oxy? Fels Naptha?.
I picked up some oxy to try, we were going to go over to the lodge, but had and ice storm, which turned into serious blowing snow. Will head over armed later this week, weather permitting. Will toss in the Fels too. Thanks
Oxy works great to get rid of wine stains that guests have left! I keep it in the house to toss on a stain. Avoid dishwashing soaps, many of them have bleach.

If you have carpet in your home, you may understand the challenges that come with keeping it clean. Unlike with hard flooring, carpet stain removal can be difficult. It takes muscle and the right treatment to get good results.

Removing carpet stains will be very hard. I am having a solution, just try it . Mix lemon juice and soap powder and apply it into the carpet then wash it. Then stains will be gone . If it is not working then go for carpet cleaning services.

Try WD40. Has worked for me several times, although I thuink it works better on oily marks rather than wine, but if your on the verge of ripping the carpet out it's gotta be worth a try.

Back