Cash for payment

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Anyone thinking of requesting that guests pay in cash so you avoid the cc processing fees? Pros/cons? (Still take the cc number to hold the room, just have it in the confirm about paying cash, when possible.)

I WOULD LOVE SOME CASHOLA! But when it comes to it they offer a personal check - I don't love those, gas to deposit, plus chance of bouncing which has happened here once already. No checks unless mailed in advance for a deposit, still requiring a cc for the reservation.
Heck I would love NO AMEX TOO!!!!

have had guests ask ... 'what discount will you give me if i pay cash?' i don't want to go there.

Bree the concept sounds good but I think it would depend on your market. I think it could most likely work with a B&B who has a high % of repeat guests.
Most people in general, I think, would be expecting a discount or something (after all they won't be getting their reward points to D. World) which of course we can not offer due to merchant agreements. Repeat guests on the other hand, may take this as an effort on your part not to raise rates which would be a benefit for them in the future.
It wouldn't work here as I get so many business people here that are using their business cards...(usually AMEX or Gov issued Visa)

In my experience cash paying customers cause the most problems. Trashing rooms and all that sort of thing. I have gone months without a cash payment from a guest and then all of a sudden I will get one. The ones who were problems were the people who were walk-ins with no reservations a head of time. I will take cash if they have an advance reservation with a credit card deposit on file already. Just makes me feel better that way. If they are a walk-in I will require a $20 credit card non-refundable deposit that is charged at check-in l and then take the remaing amount in cash. That way I have a valid credit card on file that works.

I have on my web site that I accept cc/cash/personal checks. Never had a bounced check and have never been asked for a discount either for using cash or check. I rarely make a bank run that is not in conjunction with another errand or two. Does your bank do mail deposits? Mine does and they return mail the receipt for the deposit and another bank by mail envelope.
I love to get cash or checks. My lady from the weekend used her last check - I gave her an invoice because she is a regular and I know she will send it. Prefer waiting for the mail to losing the cc bite. Then again, I do not have the guests with the mindset of Bree's market either - different regions have different twerks. Mine lean toward LATE arrivals it seems but that so far, thank goodness, is all.

have had guests ask ... 'what discount will you give me if i pay cash?' i don't want to go there..
seashanty said:
have had guests ask ... 'what discount will you give me if i pay cash?' i don't want to go there.
I thought of that, too. I'm only saving maybe $3-4/night if they don't use the cc, and I KNOW they mean $10-$20 off. I was thinking long range, over the year, I might save a few hundred dollars if I got enough guests to opt for cash. I only asked because we had 1 guest pay for 4 days in cash.

In my experience cash paying customers cause the most problems. Trashing rooms and all that sort of thing. I have gone months without a cash payment from a guest and then all of a sudden I will get one. The ones who were problems were the people who were walk-ins with no reservations a head of time. I will take cash if they have an advance reservation with a credit card deposit on file already. Just makes me feel better that way. If they are a walk-in I will require a $20 credit card non-refundable deposit that is charged at check-in l and then take the remaing amount in cash. That way I have a valid credit card on file that works..
oceans said:
In my experience cash paying customers cause the most problems. Trashing rooms and all that sort of thing. I have gone months without a cash payment from a guest and then all of a sudden I will get one. The ones who were problems were the people who were walk-ins with no reservations a head of time. I will take cash if they have an advance reservation with a credit card deposit on file already. Just makes me feel better that way. If they are a walk-in I will require a $20 credit card non-refundable deposit that is charged at check-in l and then take the remaing amount in cash. That way I have a valid credit card on file that works.
I will agree that walk-ins with cash may be an issue. I DO have a fairly decent number of folks who just do not want the cc debt for a 'girlfriends getaway'. No money trail for the spouse perhaps? I don't know. The couple this weekend, who knows. They were quiet and did no damage.
How do you have a cc number on file if they charge $20? My processor no longer allows me access to the cc numbers.

In my experience cash paying customers cause the most problems. Trashing rooms and all that sort of thing. I have gone months without a cash payment from a guest and then all of a sudden I will get one. The ones who were problems were the people who were walk-ins with no reservations a head of time. I will take cash if they have an advance reservation with a credit card deposit on file already. Just makes me feel better that way. If they are a walk-in I will require a $20 credit card non-refundable deposit that is charged at check-in l and then take the remaing amount in cash. That way I have a valid credit card on file that works..
oceans said:
I will agree that walk-ins with cash may be an issue. I DO have a fairly decent number of folks who just do not want the cc debt for a 'girlfriends getaway'. No money trail for the spouse perhaps? I don't know. The couple this weekend, who knows. They were quiet and did no damage.
How do you have a cc number on file if they charge $20? My processor no longer allows me access to the cc numbers.
Yeah the credit card machines now truncate the numbers so now you only see the last 4 digits. On my system if there is a dispute you can use the transaction ID to settle a dispute. You can also just write the credit card number down by hand on a piece of paper and hold on to it while they are there.

You're kidding, right? This economy that we've got going now, people will be holding onto their cashola & pulling out the plastic!
The only folks that have paid me with cash are the few that probably didn't want a "paper trail". As JBJ calls them, the flings.
Actually, I am getting a run of Discover Cards all of a sudden. Most everyone gives me some kind of "rewards" card, too. Just the way it is...most people want their 30 day float, even if they pay off their cards every month.

Actually we find that our cash paying customers are those who have saved for a special weekend and trying to be fiscally responsible. Our destination of wine country brings in honeymooners and anniversaries and they are pretty easy (so far!) to deal with.
Our last weekend, for example, was a honeymoon. Paid 50% cash as she didn't want to charge any more than she had to. Booked far in advance. He works in auto repair and has a partner in his business and she works in the food industry.
We are lucky to get these kinds of guests as they very much respect the property and love coming.
Riki

i have a credit card. i never use it. and i am not anxious to be in debt ... i am working on being debt free.
i use my debit card if i need a 'card' for easier travel.

I have no credit cards. We use our debit card as "credit"... that way it stays in the checking account a few extra days. I use the card for everything so I have a record online that I can download into Quicken.
Last weekend I had a guest who wanted to pay her balance with a check. Fine by me. She said she was trying to get out of debt, and couldn't believe we have no credit cards, that eveything comes straight out of the checking. I told her if we don't have the money, we don't go. Once we finally got out of debt we've been very leery of getting back in again.
We have a line of credit if we truly get an emergency, and I've used store cards to get the discount by signing up, but then we let them go.
=)
Kk.

I have no credit cards. We use our debit card as "credit"... that way it stays in the checking account a few extra days. I use the card for everything so I have a record online that I can download into Quicken.
Last weekend I had a guest who wanted to pay her balance with a check. Fine by me. She said she was trying to get out of debt, and couldn't believe we have no credit cards, that eveything comes straight out of the checking. I told her if we don't have the money, we don't go. Once we finally got out of debt we've been very leery of getting back in again.
We have a line of credit if we truly get an emergency, and I've used store cards to get the discount by signing up, but then we let them go.
=)
Kk..
I don't carry my cc with me, either. I have a debit card only. My dh has to travel 65 miles one way to get to work, so we have one cc that he carries in case he breaks down or needs something on the road. He rarely uses it.
I went to get gas the other day and my debit card wouldn't swipe. The place has a "no type in" policy. So I had to leave my drivers license at the gas station to go across town to the ATM to remove money so that I could pay for my gas. I almost wished I'd had a cc at that moment...but the debt isn't worth the trouble.

oceans said:
Yeah the credit card machines now truncate the numbers so now you only see the last 4 digits. On my system if there is a dispute you can use the transaction ID to settle a dispute. You can also just write the credit card number down by hand on a piece of paper and hold on to it while they are there.
oceans said:
Not all credit card machines are set up this way. We discussed this a year or so ago, apparently they are supposed to be. Mine is not. I have called them and they argued and told me this is not true. I have called again and got the same thing. So only the guest copy shows the last 4 digits, and if I do a reprint I get all the #'s.

You're kidding, right? This economy that we've got going now, people will be holding onto their cashola & pulling out the plastic!
The only folks that have paid me with cash are the few that probably didn't want a "paper trail". As JBJ calls them, the flings.
Actually, I am getting a run of Discover Cards all of a sudden. Most everyone gives me some kind of "rewards" card, too. Just the way it is...most people want their 30 day float, even if they pay off their cards every month..
Samster said:
Actually, I am getting a run of Discover Cards all of a sudden. Most everyone gives me some kind of "rewards" card, too. Just the way it is...most people want their 30 day float, even if they pay off their cards every month.
Flings is short for fling-a-ding-ding

i have a credit card. i never use it. and i am not anxious to be in debt ... i am working on being debt free.
i use my debit card if i need a 'card' for easier travel..
seashanty said:
i use my debit card if i need a 'card' for easier travel.
I use a credit card for every single purchase, every single time. I keep track of all expenses this way. I only use a check if I have to. At the end of the year or start of the year when I do taxes I get a print out of every single purchase all in one for the entire year. It separates all grocery purchases from say petrol or dining out.

=)
Kk..
I don't carry my cc with me, either. I have a debit card only. My dh has to travel 65 miles one way to get to work, so we have one cc that he carries in case he breaks down or needs something on the road. He rarely uses it.
I went to get gas the other day and my debit card wouldn't swipe. The place has a "no type in" policy. So I had to leave my drivers license at the gas station to go across town to the ATM to remove money so that I could pay for my gas. I almost wished I'd had a cc at that moment...but the debt isn't worth the trouble.
penelope said:
You are assuming someone who uses a credit card is in debt? Bad assumption.

Bree, I stayed at a B&B once that encouraged cash payment.
We booked 5 nights, paid one night cc deposit so they had it on file. When we showed up, he took us to our room, gave us a folder with our invoice in it, and said "The remainder is due by checkout. We're small, so it really helps us if you could pay any part in cash. There's an ATM next door." The ATM next door was about a 5 minute walk, but on the way into town.
DH and I discussed as we withdrew the cash. I thought it was quite gutsy of him to ask, but DH knew more about cc fees, etc. at the time so he went along with it. I was a little ticked, because we were in Europe and got much better exchange rates on our cc than ATM, plus international withdrawal fees, but it didn't change our minds about the quality of the stay, and we'd go back.
If it had been in the U.S. and we knew about the preference in advance so we could withdraw at our bank, I probably wouldn't have minded. But once he asked, we couldn't say no.
Here's another one--I recently visited a small B&B that only takes cash. No idea if she reports it or not, but she thought it was absurd for a small biz to take cc. No checks either.

We booked 5 nights, paid one night cc deposit so they had it on file. When we showed up, he took us to our room, gave us a folder with our invoice in it, and said "The remainder is due by checkout. We're small, so it really helps us if you could pay any part in cash. There's an ATM next door." The ATM next door was about a 5 minute walk, but on the way into town.
DH and I discussed as we withdrew the cash. I thought it was quite gutsy of him to ask, but DH knew more about cc fees, etc. at the time so he went along with it. I was a little ticked, because we were in Europe and got much better exchange rates on our cc than ATM, plus international withdrawal fees, but it didn't change our minds about the quality of the stay, and we'd go back.
If it had been in the U.S. and we knew about the preference in advance so we could withdraw at our bank, I probably wouldn't have minded. But once he asked, we couldn't say no.
Here's another one--I recently visited a small B&B that only takes cash. No idea if she reports it or not, but she thought it was absurd for a small biz to take cc. No checks either..
stephanie said:
Here's another one--I recently visited a small B&B that only takes cash. No idea if she reports it or not, but she thought it was absurd for a small biz to take cc. No checks either.
Overseas you can get back the VAT (extra tax) if you have it all on your credit card, it is a SUPER easy transaction, versus copying all the rcpts and sending them all in and the forms. You DO get a better xchange rate using your cc. But certian countries you pay up to 18% fee to use the credit card at a hotel/B&B. I have not been lately, but this is how it was a couple years ago.

Back