Cash for payment

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have in my confirmation "although we do accept Visa and Mastercard, cash or traveller's cheques would be most appreciated."
I get cash about 25% of the time this way. Some guests ask me about it when I arrive and I just say that cc fees are increasing and that I appreciate not having to pay them if possible. Most of them agree and say they hate paying the fees also. Of course I NEVER say no to credit cards and never hesitate when they ask if they can use them. I can write it off but still....
I always get a credit card at time of booking btw..
Just had guests this weekend who extended their stay a day. They said to just charge the card. I asked if it wasn't too much trouble if I could swipe the card because the merchant fees are lower. They had no clue, of course. I just laughed it off with them and said I had to be educated in this stuff since I didn't know either. They were fine with it.
Our cc program works like a hotel's - when we swipe it at check-in it authorizes/holds the charged amount. If we need to adjust the amount at check-out for an extra day or gift shop purchases, we can do so without re-swiping the card. We were told by our credit card processor that this is a preferable system for defense against chargebacks, rather than a retail POS system.

I have in my confirmation "although we do accept Visa and Mastercard, cash or traveller's cheques would be most appreciated."
I get cash about 25% of the time this way. Some guests ask me about it when I arrive and I just say that cc fees are increasing and that I appreciate not having to pay them if possible. Most of them agree and say they hate paying the fees also. Of course I NEVER say no to credit cards and never hesitate when they ask if they can use them. I can write it off but still....
Just had guests this weekend who extended their stay a day. They said to just charge the card. I asked if it wasn't too much trouble if I could swipe the card because the merchant fees are lower. They had no clue, of course. I just laughed it off with them and said I had to be educated in this stuff since I didn't know either. They were fine with it.
Our cc program works like a hotel's - when we swipe it at check-in it authorizes/holds the charged amount. If we need to adjust the amount at check-out for an extra day or gift shop purchases, we can do so without re-swiping the card. We were told by our credit card processor that this is a preferable system for defense against chargebacks, rather than a retail POS system.
Houdini said:
Our system works the same way but we do it all at once. Check-in, check-out, sign the receipt, no cc on file any longer. We've been over this a million times and everyone does it differently but I do not want to deal with check-out, getting sigs, etc at 6 AM or 8 AM or everyone at 11 AM.

I just added the 'cash appreciated' to our website and rez policies page. We'll see if anyone reads it. Along with the request that they tell us if they have more than one car, which no one ever does and then we're scrambling to find a spot for our car.

Houdini said:
Our system works the same way but we do it all at once. Check-in, check-out, sign the receipt, no cc on file any longer. We've been over this a million times and everyone does it differently but I do not want to deal with check-out, getting sigs, etc at 6 AM or 8 AM or everyone at 11 AM.
I don't like getting signatures at check-out either. Our program works like Houdini's - we just do the check-outs after everyone leaves, no 2nd signature. 99% of ours don't change - if something is added, I add it at check-out and do get a signature for those.

Houdini said:
I don't like getting signatures at check-out either. Our program works like Houdini's - we just do the check-outs after everyone leaves, no 2nd signature. 99% of ours don't change - if something is added, I add it at check-out and do get a signature for those.
So, how do you get a sig? Do they sign the check-in receipt?

Houdini said:
Yes.

I just added the 'cash appreciated' to our website and rez policies page. We'll see if anyone reads it. Along with the request that they tell us if they have more than one car, which no one ever does and then we're scrambling to find a spot for our car..
we hardly ever, maybe once or twice, have had guests with more than one car ... does this happen a lot?

Houdini said:
Yes.
And that is good enough? I thought they had to sign the checkout receipt, but I guess not as I always sign IN at hotels, not out. Hmmmm. That might help somewhat with the clackety clack that the machine makes printing both copies at once. And then guests asking, 'Why are you charging me twice?'
Now, do you have to do all of the checkouts before midnight? If you do them the following day does it cost you a fee because they are 'late'?
I guess we could assign each room a folio number. Once the checkout is done, then the folio would be available again.
I wonder if that has any effect on the discount rate? Or any of the peripheral fees?

Houdini said:
Yes.
And that is good enough? I thought they had to sign the checkout receipt, but I guess not as I always sign IN at hotels, not out. Hmmmm. That might help somewhat with the clackety clack that the machine makes printing both copies at once. And then guests asking, 'Why are you charging me twice?'
Now, do you have to do all of the checkouts before midnight? If you do them the following day does it cost you a fee because they are 'late'?
I guess we could assign each room a folio number. Once the checkout is done, then the folio would be available again.
I wonder if that has any effect on the discount rate? Or any of the peripheral fees?
As far as I know it is good enough - good enough for a hotel, good enough for me. We do the checkouts around noon the day of check-out; if I were smart I would wait until I had assessed for damages just in case. I think our 'late' fee doesn't kick in until 48 hours. After we do checkouts we transmit the batch. We use the room number for the folio number (since we only have numbers, not names). If we have two people splitting a room charge we go to two digits - 41 for room 4, 1st person and so on.
I don't know that it has any effect on the rates.

I just added the 'cash appreciated' to our website and rez policies page. We'll see if anyone reads it. Along with the request that they tell us if they have more than one car, which no one ever does and then we're scrambling to find a spot for our car..
we hardly ever, maybe once or twice, have had guests with more than one car ... does this happen a lot?
seashanty said:
It happens enough that we've had to park on the lawn regularly. THAT encourages guests who arrive after dark and don't want to bother LOOKING to see if there is a space for them, to ALSO park on the lawn. We have had some days where the 4 guests in one room EACH brought a car. Many times we have multiple rooms in one car, but not as often as we have multiple cars for one room.
An example is parents and adult children meeting here. That usually involves at least 2 cars. Sometimes each parent brings a car as well.

Young wedding couple...cash. I asked, 'So, is this the wedding gift money?' They laughed and said, 'Yup, we emptied the cards and ran!' They had called ahead and booked here so I had time to get out and get a little surprise for them. They were telling me it's their first time at a B&B and then I showed them their room and the giftie and they were quite tickled.

Ours is set up the same way but I just run the total charge at check-in. I don't run deposits ahead of time here. I subscribe to JBJ's motto: K.I.S.S. I don't need to complicate things...my brain is a sieve sometimes.

Well the gas stations have a "cash price" and a credit card price, however remember that the pumps control the sales. If you start rquesting cash think IRS AUDIT!! Better idea, talk to your cc company about reducing your fees, as much as they can based on Visa/MC fee control. I love my Discover card which is why I accept that from guests, and I lost business when I was not taking Amex. In fact unless I take a huge amount of Amex, I pay a flat fee/mos and it works out cheaper than Visa/MC.

Well the gas stations have a "cash price" and a credit card price, however remember that the pumps control the sales. If you start rquesting cash think IRS AUDIT!! Better idea, talk to your cc company about reducing your fees, as much as they can based on Visa/MC fee control. I love my Discover card which is why I accept that from guests, and I lost business when I was not taking Amex. In fact unless I take a huge amount of Amex, I pay a flat fee/mos and it works out cheaper than Visa/MC..
agoodman1963 said:
Well the gas stations have a "cash price" and a credit card price, however remember that the pumps control the sales. If you start rquesting cash think IRS AUDIT!! Better idea, talk to your cc company about reducing your fees, as much as they can based on Visa/MC fee control. I love my Discover card which is why I accept that from guests, and I lost business when I was not taking Amex. In fact unless I take a huge amount of Amex, I pay a flat fee/mos and it works out cheaper than Visa/MC.
I called. Nothing doing on reduced rates. In fact, I now have 'too much' AmEx biz to get a discount from them unless I extend the payout period to 14 or 30 days.
If the IRS wants to audit us, they will, whether I accept cash or not. If they are actively looking for websites that state 'Cash only' they'll find 100's in this state alone.

I used to sell credit card processing, keep in mind each company is different but they all have to follow the Visa/MC regulations.
Depending on your cc processor, if you are set up as a "hotel" establishment" you can run the card through on arrival (auth) and then do the "settlement" on check out. However once you have settled the cards, you need to BATCH within 24 hours or you can be charged the next tier by the credit card company.
Running cards through ahead of time (without actually swiping the card) means you will pay a higher rate. Avoid this is you can.
I generally get the actual card on the morning of dept, I enter the Check in date (on the machine) as the date I have the card in my hand, and the check out date as tomorrow (for some reason my processor does not allow C/in = C/out date) in their hotel program, I have to have a single date change in between. So I "batch" the day after they check out.
Alternatively swipe the card on arrival, c/in date = arrival date on your machine and c/out date = the following day. The only issue this causes is if the guest has additional charges, you will either need to ask for the card again (least expensive for you) or do a manual (non swipe and $$) charge.
Under normal circumstances you do NOT need to get another signature on dept if the original charge = final charge.

Well the gas stations have a "cash price" and a credit card price, however remember that the pumps control the sales. If you start rquesting cash think IRS AUDIT!! Better idea, talk to your cc company about reducing your fees, as much as they can based on Visa/MC fee control. I love my Discover card which is why I accept that from guests, and I lost business when I was not taking Amex. In fact unless I take a huge amount of Amex, I pay a flat fee/mos and it works out cheaper than Visa/MC..
So you accept Discover Cards? Is that expensive? How do you get to have a flat fee with Amex?

So you accept Discover Cards? Is that expensive? How do you get to have a flat fee with Amex?
Discover costs me the same as Visa/MC - just call Discover Merchant services. Love them. Never had an issue. They don't increase the base rates like Visa/MC, which are then passed on by the processor.
I pay Amex $5.99/mos when my processing is below a certain $ amount. I can't even tell you what that ceiling limit it, after the first time I lost a business guest when I could not accept their Amex card, I changed my tune. I also had a local hospital put their temp ER doctor with me about 30 nights over the last 2 months, had I not accepted Amex they would not have put him with me.
If you are paying more than 1.59% Qual tran) with your Visa/MC cc processor, renegotiate ... just don't go to a new company if you are under contract or they will hit you with cancel fees. You should also not be paying more than 0.15c per transaction.
If you can process as debit cards (pin pad needed, that's about the best way to go - costs you about 0.67c per tran, that's it, but they are not always the best method for hotels.

i have a credit card. i never use it. and i am not anxious to be in debt ... i am working on being debt free.
i use my debit card if i need a 'card' for easier travel..
We have a credit card and we use it for virtually EVERYTHING. We get 1% cash back. We just got a cc that gives us 10% back on gas and groceries for the first 3 billing cycles and then 3% on those purchases after that. No annual fee. We pay off our balance EVERY month, even if it means I gotta work all OT available, holidays, etc. to make ends meet. Heavy auto and dental expenses lately.

I have no credit cards. We use our debit card as "credit"... that way it stays in the checking account a few extra days. I use the card for everything so I have a record online that I can download into Quicken.
Last weekend I had a guest who wanted to pay her balance with a check. Fine by me. She said she was trying to get out of debt, and couldn't believe we have no credit cards, that eveything comes straight out of the checking. I told her if we don't have the money, we don't go. Once we finally got out of debt we've been very leery of getting back in again.
We have a line of credit if we truly get an emergency, and I've used store cards to get the discount by signing up, but then we let them go.
=)
Kk..
We have a line of credit if we truly get an emergency, and I've used store cards to get the discount by signing up, but then we let them go.
Hubby applies for an Amazon cc to get the discount, then cancels it. I have a slightly higher credit score than he does. The banker explained that is because he cancels his credit cards and I just ignore the cards we aren't actively using. A financial guru on the radio said to use them maybe 1-2 times a year, just to keep them active.

Bree, I stayed at a B&B once that encouraged cash payment.
We booked 5 nights, paid one night cc deposit so they had it on file. When we showed up, he took us to our room, gave us a folder with our invoice in it, and said "The remainder is due by checkout. We're small, so it really helps us if you could pay any part in cash. There's an ATM next door." The ATM next door was about a 5 minute walk, but on the way into town.
DH and I discussed as we withdrew the cash. I thought it was quite gutsy of him to ask, but DH knew more about cc fees, etc. at the time so he went along with it. I was a little ticked, because we were in Europe and got much better exchange rates on our cc than ATM, plus international withdrawal fees, but it didn't change our minds about the quality of the stay, and we'd go back.
If it had been in the U.S. and we knew about the preference in advance so we could withdraw at our bank, I probably wouldn't have minded. But once he asked, we couldn't say no.
Here's another one--I recently visited a small B&B that only takes cash. No idea if she reports it or not, but she thought it was absurd for a small biz to take cc. No checks either..
In Germany and Czech Republic last year, none of the gast hauses or zimmer fres (bnbs) book cards. I thought that odd.One innkeeper explained that guests would get back to the States and cancel their charge. They may have run them through another business, which may explain any possible confusion. We ALWAYS had to pay cash to a private bnb innkeeper.

Back