Cash only restaurants

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i also had a 'restaurant parade' in the front hall. and just a basic mention in the guestroom books of the places and to check in the hallway for current hours, specials, etc. it got to be too much to try to change the pages in 8 room books, plus the common room books ... most most most annoying to me was when the one restaurant across the way that i sent soooo many guests to would close for a private party and not bother to tell me. guests would come back upset with me because of course i must have known. it got so that i would have to call every couple of days and ask if they were closed to the public any time soon. the chef owner was nice and seemed to understand but no one on his staff would call me. jeez.

My guests just had to run to the ATM because both places they ate at in Boston only took cash. One a seafood place, the other a bakery..
We have a restaurant here that does take credit cards, but only for your meal. They will not allow you to put the tip on the credit card. I can only imagine that the waitstaff get stiffed all the time.
Breakfast Diva said:
We have a restaurant here that does take credit cards, but only for your meal. They will not allow you to put the tip on the credit card. I can only imagine that the waitstaff get stiffed all the time.
Do you mean the waitstaff get stiffed because no one leaves them cash? That's awful. This is something my son taught me and I've done ever since. ALWAYS tip the server in cash and hand it right to them if you can. (This works well for him for getting really good service the next time he goes to that restaurant.)
Personally, if guests were putting tips on their cc's, I'd hate having to pay the processing fees on that. Much the same way I hate paying processing fees on sales tax. The state still wants the full amount, even tho I have to take the rest of it out of my pocket after the fees.
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Do you mean the waitstaff get stiffed because no one leaves them cash? That's awful. This is something my son taught me and I've done ever since. ALWAYS tip the server in cash and hand it right to them if you can. (This works well for him for getting really good service the next time he goes to that restaurant.)
Personally, if guests were putting tips on their cc's, I'd hate having to pay the processing fees on that. Much the same way I hate paying processing fees on sales tax. The state still wants the full amount, even tho I have to take the rest of it out of my pocket after the fees.
Most people around here don't carry cash and there are no atm machines except for those that carry a pretty hefty fee. A larger town with banks are 25 minutes away. If they don't have cash on them, they can't tip. I can't tell you how often a guest will buy some little item from our gift pantry and want me to put it on their credit card. I hate to swipe a card for $10 or less. I will ask them if they have cash instead and most of the time they say no, sorry. Drives me crazy. Sometimes I just give them the little item because after I swipe their card I don't really make any money anyway and when I just give them the item they are so happy and it leaves a good impression on them.

My guests just had to run to the ATM because both places they ate at in Boston only took cash. One a seafood place, the other a bakery..
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
This is not a bad idea really. We have seen so many bus boys take a tip off the table when they just 'happen' to catch the tip when wiping the table dumping the crumbs & $ into their dish tub for later picking up. Wait staff just figure the tip was put on the card at the register or think those people just stiffed me.

Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
This is not a bad idea really. We have seen so many bus boys take a tip off the table when they just 'happen' to catch the tip when wiping the table dumping the crumbs & $ into their dish tub for later picking up. Wait staff just figure the tip was put on the card at the register or think those people just stiffed me.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
In my life during high school and thereafter I worked at fine dining restaurants and the bus boys were SUPPOSED to take the tips off the table. Just as an fyi. Don't assume they are stealing the server's gratuity.

Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
In my life during high school and thereafter I worked at fine dining restaurants and the bus boys were SUPPOSED to take the tips off the table. Just as an fyi. Don't assume they are stealing the server's gratuity.
When done on the sly AS I POSTED, it leaves little for me to assume. I too have done my share of waiting tables in my younger years.

Wow how can a restaurant make ANY money and survive without serving alcohol or taking credit cards?
We have not used our credit cards for two years now, but routinely use our debit card at restaurants. Who is going to carry that kind of cash??
It will be interesting to see if they survive. Do these people have any restaurant experience???
RIki.
This restaurant has been in business over 50 years. This is a diner it has never served alcohol. (Cash only place)
The other place you have been to on our corner and I found out on Valentine's weekend they will no longer serve beer and wine (our guests were ticked off!). They dropped their full ABC license a year ago.
Joey Bloggs said:
This restaurant has been in business over 50 years. This is a diner it has never served alcohol. (Cash only place)
The other place you have been to on our corner and I found out on Valentine's weekend they will no longer serve beer and wine (our guests were ticked off!). They dropped their full ABC license a year ago.
If it's that lovely restaurant on your corner that is not going to serve alcohol at all, I can see them closing. The food was excellent, but without a glass of wine I would turn around and walk right out. Barbaric!
RIki

Wow how can a restaurant make ANY money and survive without serving alcohol or taking credit cards?
We have not used our credit cards for two years now, but routinely use our debit card at restaurants. Who is going to carry that kind of cash??
It will be interesting to see if they survive. Do these people have any restaurant experience???
RIki.
Joey Bloggs said:
If it's that lovely restaurant on your corner that is not going to serve alcohol at all, I can see them closing. The food was excellent, but without a glass of wine I would turn around and walk right out. Barbaric!
RIki
egoodell said:
Joey Bloggs said:
RIki
Yes it is.

RIki.
Joey Bloggs said:
RIki
I usually do not order wine because of the extra expense BUT I think if they do not serve beer and wine they are committing business suicide. I guess they never heard the phrase Food & Spirits. they have gone tiogether since the beginning of time. Even in the Bible, running out of wine was a reason to perform a miracle!

Back