Cash only restaurants

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
So they have a Facebook page but are cash only. DOH!
Our local nicer restaurant no longer serves beer and wine and our guests are complaining. So I am instilling the "Come and get it! Country Cookin' " theme. This diner now closes at 8pm (It was recently bought by a new family after 50 years with the orig owners) and it used to close at 5pm, closed Sat & Sun. Our guests had never been there in 7 years.
Our next door neighbors now own it and they have not even dropped off a menu for our guests.
I am adding it to the restaurant room list and say they are CASH ONLY. I will add that to it, but honestly I cannot be responsible when restaurants revoke their ABC license, close on Sundays and do not accept VISA. It is really wearing me out. Our city guests just do not get it, I don't get it, I can't keep up with it. Adding hours and info to the restaurant page is requiring so many updates it is not even funny.
Just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening.

Wow how can a restaurant make ANY money and survive without serving alcohol or taking credit cards?
We have not used our credit cards for two years now, but routinely use our debit card at restaurants. Who is going to carry that kind of cash??
It will be interesting to see if they survive. Do these people have any restaurant experience???
RIki

I can tell this now because things have changed, About 7 years ago Jimmy's Diner was owned by the members of the family (now just Jimmy) and was called AJ's. A young couple from here went to dinner and went to pay with plastic - AJ's did not take plastic! They did not have enough cash and were sweating it - now what? Jimmy looked at them and said, "just come back tomorrow and pay me."
They went to the ATM and went back to pay, but their jaws were still at their knees with the shock that he trusted them to "just come back and pay". Jimmy's takes plastic.

Wow how can a restaurant make ANY money and survive without serving alcohol or taking credit cards?
We have not used our credit cards for two years now, but routinely use our debit card at restaurants. Who is going to carry that kind of cash??
It will be interesting to see if they survive. Do these people have any restaurant experience???
RIki.
This restaurant has been in business over 50 years. This is a diner it has never served alcohol. (Cash only place)
The other place you have been to on our corner and I found out on Valentine's weekend they will no longer serve beer and wine (our guests were ticked off!). They dropped their full ABC license a year ago.

Okay I think I will change the restaurant list from the guest room to the parlor only, that way I can update it more frequently. Any thoughts on this?
I do have them in each room, but I cannot keep up with seasonal hours etc printing out so many copies so often. This has taken me ALL morning to get finished and I blogged it and the formatting is all messed up. I will have to go and fix it later on.

For a place like that - it could be the death knell! That is the kind of place that people WOULD order a beer or wine. And it is such a NICE place!
Jimmy's does now sell beer - and my guests (or anyone else) could BYOB with wine, I asked.
I know several people that will not go to a restaurant is they cannot have a beer or a glass of wine.

Okay I think I will change the restaurant list from the guest room to the parlor only, that way I can update it more frequently. Any thoughts on this?
I do have them in each room, but I cannot keep up with seasonal hours etc printing out so many copies so often. This has taken me ALL morning to get finished and I blogged it and the formatting is all messed up. I will have to go and fix it later on..
Oglebay Resort in Wheeling has a place in the lobby with large "sleeves" in a binder with large print menues and hours for each restaurant in the vicinity. That is how I found one of the best German restaurants - and we went there every year when we went to Wheeling from Illinois (and the owners remembered us from year to year) and then whenever we had time to stop after we moved here until they closed - due to age of owners.

Remember this place caters to the locals, they don't give a rip that I have sent them thousands of $ in business. None of them here do, like I always say.

My guests just had to run to the ATM because both places they ate at in Boston only took cash. One a seafood place, the other a bakery.

I can tell this now because things have changed, About 7 years ago Jimmy's Diner was owned by the members of the family (now just Jimmy) and was called AJ's. A young couple from here went to dinner and went to pay with plastic - AJ's did not take plastic! They did not have enough cash and were sweating it - now what? Jimmy looked at them and said, "just come back tomorrow and pay me."
They went to the ATM and went back to pay, but their jaws were still at their knees with the shock that he trusted them to "just come back and pay". Jimmy's takes plastic..
I know a local restaurant that's been in business since the forties and they don't take plastic. Unbelievably, they've been known to allow folks to MAIL THEM A CHECK once they get home!

Funny, just was part of conversation about liquor licenses earlier this week. Our favorite local lunch dive has decided to open for dinner on Fri & Sat nights. They have been in business since the mid 60's for breakfast & lunch only. Bunny, one of the waitresses stopped at our table to tell us the news. A man at the next table (another regular) asked, well did Mike spring for the liquor license? When the answer was NO, he went on, "no one wants to go out for a steak and not get a drink, this will not last long" and our reg. waitress chimed in...that is just what I told him.
I have mentioned before about our trip to a Natchez MS, which thrives on a huge tourist industry. We loved the place but almost everywhere we went was 'cash only' - the ATM machines were heavily used.. (including by us)

My guests just had to run to the ATM because both places they ate at in Boston only took cash. One a seafood place, the other a bakery..
We have a restaurant here that does take credit cards, but only for your meal. They will not allow you to put the tip on the credit card. I can only imagine that the waitstaff get stiffed all the time.

I do have them in each room, but I cannot keep up with seasonal hours etc printing out so many copies so often. This has taken me ALL morning to get finished and I blogged it and the formatting is all messed up. I will have to go and fix it later on..
Oglebay Resort in Wheeling has a place in the lobby with large "sleeves" in a binder with large print menues and hours for each restaurant in the vicinity. That is how I found one of the best German restaurants - and we went there every year when we went to Wheeling from Illinois (and the owners remembered us from year to year) and then whenever we had time to stop after we moved here until they closed - due to age of owners.
I generally have all the menus in one central place and just the basic info about the restaurants in the welcome books in the rooms; days open, what they serve, etc.
Having the menus in a common place always seems to encourage guests to talk with the innkeeper about their choices, which is always a good idea IMHO.

I don't think cash only is as rare as we might think...so many businesses have had to find ways around the exorbitant cc fees that many have gone to this system. We always take cash on vacation as we have come to expect this policy from the "local flavor" type places, which we always try to visit.
We are fortunate to have several local wineries and many BYOB places, the guests absolutely love this.

My guests just had to run to the ATM because both places they ate at in Boston only took cash. One a seafood place, the other a bakery..
We have a restaurant here that does take credit cards, but only for your meal. They will not allow you to put the tip on the credit card. I can only imagine that the waitstaff get stiffed all the time.
Breakfast Diva said:
Do you mean the waitstaff get stiffed because no one leaves them cash? That's awful. This is something my son taught me and I've done ever since. ALWAYS tip the server in cash and hand it right to them if you can. (This works well for him for getting really good service the next time he goes to that restaurant.)
Personally, if guests were putting tips on their cc's, I'd hate having to pay the processing fees on that. Much the same way I hate paying processing fees on sales tax. The state still wants the full amount, even tho I have to take the rest of it out of my pocket after the fees.

I generally have all the menus in one central place and just the basic info about the restaurants in the welcome books in the rooms; days open, what they serve, etc.
Having the menus in a common place always seems to encourage guests to talk with the innkeeper about their choices, which is always a good idea IMHO.
I went thru the menu basket last week and labeled all the menus for 'summer' places as I got tired of hearing, 'You didn't tell us that place was closed!' I also added a note on those menus where the restaurant gives us a discount card for the guest.
Still have to update the room books with places that have opened/closed. Luckily, nothing major, and some just changed owners so there IS a restaurant there, just not the same one.

Breakfast Diva said:
Do you mean the waitstaff get stiffed because no one leaves them cash? That's awful. This is something my son taught me and I've done ever since. ALWAYS tip the server in cash and hand it right to them if you can. (This works well for him for getting really good service the next time he goes to that restaurant.)
Personally, if guests were putting tips on their cc's, I'd hate having to pay the processing fees on that. Much the same way I hate paying processing fees on sales tax. The state still wants the full amount, even tho I have to take the rest of it out of my pocket after the fees.
Dealers always get tipped in their hand. Whether you win or lose you tip the dealer.
I won't put a tip into anyone hand other than mentioned above. I am embarrassed when people do that around me. Old people do that and you open your hand and there is a buck. LOL

Breakfast Diva said:
We are allowed to deduct a whole .74% of the sales taxes we have collected as payment for being the tax collectors. That turned out being 39 cents for me last month!

Breakfast Diva said:
Dealers always get tipped in their hand. Whether you win or lose you tip the dealer.
I won't put a tip into anyone hand other than mentioned above. I am embarrassed when people do that around me. Old people do that and you open your hand and there is a buck. LOL
Joey Bloggs said:
OK, so he's a dealer, so that's probably where he gets that from. I thought it was weird when he did that here, too. And the waitress looked at him funny, too, like he was doing something not quite right. So I just leave the money on the table.
I've had guests do that after breakfast. Walk up to me and shove a dollar into my hand.

can the restaurants that don't sell alochol be BYOB?
i know of a number of places like that guest brings the bottle, server pours it out. but i don't think guests can take open bottles away with them so must plan accordingly.
i hope there are ATM's in the area. i have gotten out of the habit of carrying cash ... except for my 'emergency 20' tucked in my wallet and i use my debit card judiciously. but i am able to see where the money goes this way

Back