Cash

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Handed Jill

Reaction score
We've had a noticable increase in guests wanting to pay cash recently. They make the deposit with a credit card, and they don't ask to have that credited back, but at check in prefer pay the balance in cash. I've been pondering if that's some result of economic times...IDK, but I wondered if anyone else is seeing a similar trend.
Not a big deal, just curious.

Yes, last year it began. Lots of cash payments, same as you we take a 50% deposit which they use a cc for, then pay the balance due with cash. I like it!

I have been getting more cash & checks. Of course, when they say they will use their debit card, I point out a check is the same thing but they get to have the money in their account longer (I do not want the fees if I can avoid them).

I have been getting more cash & checks. Of course, when they say they will use their debit card, I point out a check is the same thing but they get to have the money in their account longer (I do not want the fees if I can avoid them)..
We don't take checks, ever! Too many that are rubber.
We don't take traveller's cheques unless they are made out to us personally. The banks around here charge too much to process a cheque, inclduing traveller's cheques. And American debit cards are generally processed as credit cards in Canada, unless they are marked with NYCE network.

I have been getting more cash & checks. Of course, when they say they will use their debit card, I point out a check is the same thing but they get to have the money in their account longer (I do not want the fees if I can avoid them)..
We don't take traveller's cheques unless they are made out to us personally. The banks around here charge too much to process a cheque, inclduing traveller's cheques. And American debit cards are generally processed as credit cards in Canada, unless they are marked with NYCE network.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I have never had a bad check.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Count yourself lucky... very lucky.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I have, learned my lesson. If I do not get the check 30 days prior to the stay, no dice. BTW, using checks no longer provides the luxury of having your money longer... most banks (claim) to process them overnight now.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I have, learned my lesson. If I do not get the check 30 days prior to the stay, no dice. BTW, using checks no longer provides the luxury of having your money longer... most banks (claim) to process them overnight now.
I know banks process VERY quickly now - it just may take me a day or two to go to MY bank. Perhaps it is because I am so far off that beaten path, but I have never been given a bad check in 15 years.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Count yourself lucky... very lucky.
we only take cheques 7 days in advance it takes 5 days to show if they are rubber. otherwise they can jogg on.

We just had a guest pay cash...didn't want anything else on the cc. I had to get change, $10. He said to keep it. And they left a $20 tip in their room.

we have also noticed an increase in cash from holiday people (we have a lot of business people they always pay card) think people may be actually saving to go away and budgeting! my gosh! will wonders never cease!

I would say yes, even though I haven't been in business all that long.
I think part of it is the economy.
And part of that it is that it's more fashionable to be money conscious and frugal. I've had a few people who have gone through/are going through Dave Ramsey's course and explain that's why they're paying cash.
I
heart.gif
cash!
=)
Kk.

Back