Cast Thy Bread...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
We opened in July 1996. In September that year I had a caller who identified himself as the grandson of our Gillums and he wanted to know how much were the rooms because his parents and he & his wife wanted to come in October. My answer was that I would book the rooms for them, but you do not pay to come home. We gave his Dad a coffee/cake reception after Church that weekend so people in town could come say hello. It was a steady stream - he had tears in his eyes when he told us he could not believe that many people remembered him. They sent me a GC at Penny's when they got home.
The oldest son (Paul's brother) died with no children so the widow sent Virgil's stuff to Paul who has also died. This morning Michael brought in a box of photos and stuff that was Virgil's AND gave us his grandfather's original deed to the house from when he bought it in 1918 from the original builder (built in 1912). Priceless!! I have a call in to the Director of the Museum regarding the other things in the box. Virgil was a Mayor (for about a month) and his Father was also a Mayor here. Well I am off to go diving in to the history box!

Oh my gosh. That is wonderful (not all the death) but the history of it! What a wonderful addition to your B&B.

Oh my gosh. That is wonderful (not all the death) but the history of it! What a wonderful addition to your B&B..
Virgil was born in 1914 and Paul, in this house, in 1919. Virgil left in 1938 to be an Army Air Corps pilot and Paul left in 1941 to go off to war. Virgil returned after retiring as a bird Col. only to discover the businessmen of town were small minded with no vision of the future (they had never left town!) and left permanently. Paul never came back except for visits to the family while his parents were alive. It is not a sad story, just life.

Oh my gosh. That is wonderful (not all the death) but the history of it! What a wonderful addition to your B&B..
Virgil was born in 1914 and Paul, in this house, in 1919. Virgil left in 1938 to be an Army Air Corps pilot and Paul left in 1941 to go off to war. Virgil returned after retiring as a bird Col. only to discover the businessmen of town were small minded with no vision of the future (they had never left town!) and left permanently. Paul never came back except for visits to the family while his parents were alive. It is not a sad story, just life.
gillumhouse said:
It is not a sad story, just life.
And so it is

Do you have any thing eles about the history? This sounds like another if walls could talk show on HGTV. Maybe even a story in the paper.
I am so sorry I missed someone eles being on if walls could talk here. I was very sick at the time and missed it. Who was it and are they going to rerun it? I would love to see it.
We are going to be on the rerun this Friday October 10th at 5 EST if any one is interested and missed us. Our segment is Mobster Mystery.

Do you have any thing eles about the history? This sounds like another if walls could talk show on HGTV. Maybe even a story in the paper.
I am so sorry I missed someone eles being on if walls could talk here. I was very sick at the time and missed it. Who was it and are they going to rerun it? I would love to see it.
We are going to be on the rerun this Friday October 10th at 5 EST if any one is interested and missed us. Our segment is Mobster Mystery.
sandynn said:
I just wrote it on my calendar, can't wait to see it!

We learned a lot about the house when Mike & Ginny came in 1996 with Paul. Paul tols us a lot of his memories and Mike has also. During the War Years 2 women lived in what we called Rosi's Room and one of them is still alive and in town. She has told me numerous times how wonderful the Gillums were. The Museum Director opened the museum just for them last night and she was telling us a story from that lady.
In June 1944, Mr. Gillum had something that needed delivered in Clarksburg and he told Ann and her friend to take his car and once the errand was done they were welcome to go do something if they wanted to- bo rush back. Ann said it was a new Buick. They went to the show or something and as they started back to town encountered emergency vehicles and were told there had been a tornado and the town was gone. They finally got back to town via a back road but were all but run off the road by the emergency vehicles going to and from and has no idea how she managed to keep the car on the road - no guard rails then (not that many now). Roads then were not as wide as they are now and no one in his right mind would call a WV road wide. (That tornado is still ranked as #14 worst.)
We have also had as guests, people who rented a room from the Gillums wehn they were young - one was a new teacher and her parents did not want her to make the 15+ mile trip from Fairmont to Lumberport in the winter so she rented a room from the Gillums and took the trolley to Lumberport (next town over).
Lots of people around still who knew them.

We learned a lot about the house when Mike & Ginny came in 1996 with Paul. Paul tols us a lot of his memories and Mike has also. During the War Years 2 women lived in what we called Rosi's Room and one of them is still alive and in town. She has told me numerous times how wonderful the Gillums were. The Museum Director opened the museum just for them last night and she was telling us a story from that lady.
In June 1944, Mr. Gillum had something that needed delivered in Clarksburg and he told Ann and her friend to take his car and once the errand was done they were welcome to go do something if they wanted to- bo rush back. Ann said it was a new Buick. They went to the show or something and as they started back to town encountered emergency vehicles and were told there had been a tornado and the town was gone. They finally got back to town via a back road but were all but run off the road by the emergency vehicles going to and from and has no idea how she managed to keep the car on the road - no guard rails then (not that many now). Roads then were not as wide as they are now and no one in his right mind would call a WV road wide. (That tornado is still ranked as #14 worst.)
We have also had as guests, people who rented a room from the Gillums wehn they were young - one was a new teacher and her parents did not want her to make the 15+ mile trip from Fairmont to Lumberport in the winter so she rented a room from the Gillums and took the trolley to Lumberport (next town over).
Lots of people around still who knew them.
Very cool history.
You wrote it down, right? (I mean, not just here...)
=)
Kk.

Back