CC Merchant Services ??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
Recently we have been bombarded with solicitations to change our credit card processing service. Everyone wants a copy of our current service invoice. We get multiple calls.
Is this happening to anyone else? Are these outfits legitimate?

Any calls, emails unsolicited should be deleted and or ignored. Hang up on them. You are asking for problems dealing with those you do not know or have not been recommended to you by someone you know.

They are sales people trying to make a sale, and yes having sold cc processing before they DO need a copy of your current statement to determine your rates
That said, if you are looking to change cc processors then better YOU go out and look, or have a co like feefighters.com do it for you, as I said they did a great job for me and I KNOW "inns and outs"

We've had that as well. We tried it a couple of times, blocking out our actual account number and most of them never got back with us again. One person called back incessantly for a week.
I would say if you can look the company up online and get some info about them, chances are it's a legit company. If you can't or they won't give you the name, hang up.
There are a bunch of them that are total scams. The intro rates go away and you're stuck with sky high rates.
Another option-use www.800notes.com to check the phone number and see what sorts of comments you get there.

Stay away from Regions. I think I have FINALLY gotten rid of them. I told the bank, if I have to sign another form to get rid of them, I will close my account and open another - and if I have to go to that hassle, it WILL NOT be opened at THIS bank.

CC processing calls are my number one annoying phone calls. It is amazing how many I get every week. A year ago I actually researched a lot of companies and I found that Meritum (800) 431-9848 was doing quite a few B&B's and for me, reduced my rate enough that it was worth switching. I want to say they are in Arizona but I do not think that really matters. Easy to work with.

1. You need to be specific about them removing you from their lists
2. If you haven't already, remove your number from https://donotcall.gov/ ... offcially this does not apply to businesses but I think it helps to do it anyway

2. If you haven't already, remove your number from https://donotcall.gov/ ... offcially this does not apply to businesses but I think it helps to do it anyway.
Do not call has become a joke in my mind. I signed up for it and though we don't get as many...we still get them. Of course I usually just hang up the phone, but if I remember, I tell them "we are on the do not call list" Most of the time I just have to say we are a private residence, remove my number from your call list.

2. If you haven't already, remove your number from https://donotcall.gov/ ... offcially this does not apply to businesses but I think it helps to do it anyway.
Do not call has become a joke in my mind. I signed up for it and though we don't get as many...we still get them. Of course I usually just hang up the phone, but if I remember, I tell them "we are on the do not call list" Most of the time I just have to say we are a private residence, remove my number from your call list.
And if your business has a business phone number (ie- not a residential phone number) they can call at will. Most of them will hang up as soon as you start to say 'Remove...' If they didn't hear you say it, they don't have to take your number off the list.
What we've been getting almost everyday is a series of 2-3 calls all from 'unknown' where all we get is a message on the machine that is a series of beeps.

And if your business has a business phone number (ie- not a residential phone number) they can call at will. Most of them will hang up as soon as you start to say 'Remove...' If they didn't hear you say it, they don't have to take your number off the list.
What we've been getting almost everyday is a series of 2-3 calls all from 'unknown' where all we get is a message on the machine that is a series of beeps.
My favorites are when their machine talks to my machine!

they DO need a copy of your current statement to determine your ratesThis gets me goat... WHY??? They don't get this info when you are a new business. I have asked some this question and get a variety of reaosns. Mostly they want to know how much CC business you are doing each month and/or what % of the different types of cards are coming through. My business can change month by month and so can the % of types of cards. I would trust these as a real fact if they asked 3 months (in a row) but otherwise it is not a real good judge of our type of business (at least mine).
I have provided this info to a couple of them (contacted though the chamber or a friend of a friend), none call me back. Yes, if you do give them a copy of the invoice mark out all your personal information - no matter who they are!!!

Copperhead they need to see your transaction mix (not only Visa/MC/Amex/DS) as well as how much you are doing in tiers (mid qual, non qual, swiped, non swiped, rewards cards etc) - and volume
Of course they can do it without you giving them the info but you'll probably get a better rate if they do see your current situation

Their rates are cheaper - initially. But then the machine breaks down and the nightmare begins. I won't go into detail but don't go there. It was a LOT more expensive in the long run.

Copperhead they need to see your transaction mix (not only Visa/MC/Amex/DS) as well as how much you are doing in tiers (mid qual, non qual, swiped, non swiped, rewards cards etc) - and volume
Of course they can do it without you giving them the info but you'll probably get a better rate if they do see your current situation.
agoodman said:
Of course they can do it without you giving them the info but you'll probably get a better rate if they do see your current situation
That is what I meant just did not explain it correctly. You can not judge what is 'norm' for any business with just one months' statement, but especially a business that does not have the same clientelle each month. And unless your business is the same year round, one month is not going to provide anyone with the ave gross CC sales either.
I know they all do this, I am just not going there again - not unless my current processor starts tacking on the fees.

Back