CC processor suggestion needed ASAP!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reskey works with Stripe. I tried to send the link to the reskey info page, but was unable to do so due to spam filter here.
Edited to add - looks like you have already made this move.

This isn’t because of Aut.net. I had this same thing happen last week when a bot was attached to our REskey account. I was not able to process for 5 days because 26,000 cards attempted to be authorized. Our merchant is the one who shut us down and we had to go in and get a new account. It was a major hassle. I will have to look at our bill. But I know the main cause was because REskey does not have a Captcha when someone try’s to make a reservation. So this allows a bot to attach and runs thousands of cards without you knowing. REsKey needs to fix this..
Maybe an option provided on aut.net, but I know that being small I will never have a large volume of business, I think we were set to allow only 100 authorizations a day and after all these problems came to light I’ve reduced that number even more.
JimBoone said:
Maybe an option provided on aut.net, but I know that being small I will never have a large volume of business, I think we were set to allow only 100 authorizations a day and after all these problems came to light I’ve reduced that number even more.
Well that certainly sounds like a solution - a reasonable limit on daily transactions.
Even in peak season I doubt most of us do more than 20 or so transactions/day. It's not like any of us have tons of rooms.
Even if I had to hold off processing some deposits because we had a whole house check in, that would be ok.
I can set a transactions per day and transactions per hour limits, while it might not totally prevent the issue it would slow it down and make it less useful to the intruder.
Working through bank as I do, I only use auth.net for a smaller online deposit, I run check ins through a desk terminal so wouldn’t be limited by arriving guests

This isn’t because of Aut.net. I had this same thing happen last week when a bot was attached to our REskey account. I was not able to process for 5 days because 26,000 cards attempted to be authorized. Our merchant is the one who shut us down and we had to go in and get a new account. It was a major hassle. I will have to look at our bill. But I know the main cause was because REskey does not have a Captcha when someone try’s to make a reservation. So this allows a bot to attach and runs thousands of cards without you knowing. REsKey needs to fix this..
We also had a bot attach to our rezkey acct. and it still seems to be happening. John has tried a few things but nothing seems to work. I can tell it's still happening because I have multiple searches on my activity with the same ip address... I don't know how to get rid of the bot. John has recommended I put something on our site to track but I haven't had time to go in and do this yet. Are you still having issues with the bot?
Baygirl said:
Are you still having issues with the bot?
After the heavy attack in September, I got no attack activity in October after I instituted the daily limit in Authorize. But about a week ago I had another one. About 75 attempts. Bad, but not as bad as before.
Friday I got a new Authorize "transaction key" and installed it in ResKey. It as easy to do and I've received new reservations since I installed it, so it didn't mess anything up. I'm assuming if the bot is using the old key, their attacks won't work anymore.
But I've decided to switch to Stripe because over time it will be a lot cheaper than Authorize. Stripe charges a flat rate of 2.9% + 30¢ per successful card charge. No other charges.
I'm guessing "per successful card charge" means I only pay on the ones that actually charge money. Stripe has no setup fees, no monthly fees, no payout fees, no minimum charges, no validation fees, and no charge for them to store the card numbers for use in future charges. There's no "merchant services" middle man to also pay. Stripe takes the money and sends it directly to my bank account with no middle man.
I don't use Rez for payments.. I enter the deposits manually when a reservation gets made. How does stripe work for incidentals if the guest orders an upsell? Do you manually enter any charges on stripe?
Baygirl said:
I don't use Rez for payments.. I enter the deposits manually when a reservation gets made. How does stripe work for incidentals if the guest orders an upsell? Do you manually enter any charges on stripe?
You can do it both ways. I have ResKey/Stripe take the downpayment (first night's fee) automatically when they make the reservation, then I'll manually charge their card in ResKey/Stripe for the balance, if any, when they arrive. Stripe securely saves the CC info so I don't have to face all the security regulations to keep it at my end.

At the north inn we have the internet accounts connected to a different bank account than our inn and we just transfer the funds over to our other account as an extra caution. We use stripe and are content with them.

At the north inn we have the internet accounts connected to a different bank account than our inn and we just transfer the funds over to our other account as an extra caution. We use stripe and are content with them..
Lee2014 said:
We use stripe and are content with them.
So far, so good with Stripe. Wish I had switched over years ago. It was easy. I'd worried about losing all the CC numbers stored in Authorize.net, but Reservation Key makes it so easy to send old reservations a secure online payment link to pay their balance due via Stripe now, and on new reservations Stripe saves the info so I can charge the balance directly.

At the north inn we have the internet accounts connected to a different bank account than our inn and we just transfer the funds over to our other account as an extra caution. We use stripe and are content with them..
Lee2014 said:
So far, so good with Stripe. Wish I had switched over years ago. It was easy. I'd worried about losing all the CC numbers stored in Authorize.net, but Reservation Key makes it so easy to send old reservations a secure online payment link to pay their balance due via Stripe now, and on new reservations Stripe saves the info so I can charge the balance directly.
Arks said:
Lee2014 said:
Good!
thumbs_up.gif

As you may recall from above, the bot attack cost me $1,007.15 in authorization fees at Authorize.net and $2,444.95 in "per transaction" fees from "merchant services" who take the ball from Authorize and run it own down the field.
Authorize doesn't care to talk about it, but Merchant Services says they will split the cost with me, meaning that they're going to refund half the $2444 they charged me in this fiasco. I'm very happy to be getting over $1000 back on this, and I learned a lot of lessons...as usual, the hard way!

After many emails back and forth, I finally got most of my money back from both Authorize and my "Merchant Services" company, so I only lost about $150 in the bot attacks. Much better than the several thousand I was originally hit with.
After a month on Stripe, I got my bank statement this week and can see another huge benefit of Stripe, and similar processors like Square: they hold out their part up front and only deposit your part.
With my old Merchant Services, they deposited to my checking account the full amount of the charge, then debited back out their 2.5% or whatever it was. So at the end of the month, to reconcile my checking acct., I had to enter all those little $3.65-sized debits into my check register, one for every card I charged during the month. A lot of tedious work. Now that's all gone and it's much faster to do my monthly reconcile.
As a bonus, there's also not that monthly $45 to $60 charge from Authorize. Stripe doesn't have any extra charges. They just take their cut at the time of charge, and that's it.
I'm not sure, but I'm also thinking they won't require the yearly PCI training the regular charge card companies made me do. I know Square has never required that for the charges I run through Square.
Loving it!

After many emails back and forth, I finally got most of my money back from both Authorize and my "Merchant Services" company, so I only lost about $150 in the bot attacks. Much better than the several thousand I was originally hit with.
After a month on Stripe, I got my bank statement this week and can see another huge benefit of Stripe, and similar processors like Square: they hold out their part up front and only deposit your part.
With my old Merchant Services, they deposited to my checking account the full amount of the charge, then debited back out their 2.5% or whatever it was. So at the end of the month, to reconcile my checking acct., I had to enter all those little $3.65-sized debits into my check register, one for every card I charged during the month. A lot of tedious work. Now that's all gone and it's much faster to do my monthly reconcile.
As a bonus, there's also not that monthly $45 to $60 charge from Authorize. Stripe doesn't have any extra charges. They just take their cut at the time of charge, and that's it.
I'm not sure, but I'm also thinking they won't require the yearly PCI training the regular charge card companies made me do. I know Square has never required that for the charges I run through Square.
Loving it!.
My bank charges a fee for any number of transactions over 25. What you're talking about would kill me! Also, to avoid that with Square deposits, I had them put in a separate account that only does those deposits. On Monday I transfer the $$$ to the checking (or savings if we did really well!)

I do offline processing and/or Square processing. Square with RK is a pain because you have to reauthorize the token from time to time..
Generic said:
I do offline processing and/or Square processing. Square with RK is a pain because you have to reauthorize the token from time to time.
Thanks for the tip on avoiding Square. I'm wanting instant, automatic charging of the deposit at reservation time, so I'm looking at Yapstone and GoEMerchant/FirstPayment. I've known for a long time that Authorize is more expensive than most, but I've resisted changing because when you do, all your stored card info is lost so I'd have to re-run the cards on all existing reservations. But the current situation makes it absolutely necessary. Almost $4000 lost to this crazy hacker assault!
Square does the charge instantly, but the authorization token in RK doesn't renew automatically. It's about 60 days, I think.
Can you let me know what rate Square charges when using RK?

I do offline processing and/or Square processing. Square with RK is a pain because you have to reauthorize the token from time to time..
Generic said:
I do offline processing and/or Square processing. Square with RK is a pain because you have to reauthorize the token from time to time.
Thanks for the tip on avoiding Square. I'm wanting instant, automatic charging of the deposit at reservation time, so I'm looking at Yapstone and GoEMerchant/FirstPayment. I've known for a long time that Authorize is more expensive than most, but I've resisted changing because when you do, all your stored card info is lost so I'd have to re-run the cards on all existing reservations. But the current situation makes it absolutely necessary. Almost $4000 lost to this crazy hacker assault!
Square does the charge instantly, but the authorization token in RK doesn't renew automatically. It's about 60 days, I think.
JerseyBoy said:
Stripe takes 2.9% + 30¢ per successful card charge.
You don't pay anything if there is no charge made to the card.
Square takes 2.6% + 10¢ per tap, dip, or swipe, but Generic pointed out that Square with RK is a pain because you have to reauthorize the token from time to time. So I went with Stripe.

Generic said:
JerseyBoy said:
Square takes 2.6% + 10¢ per tap, dip, or swipe, but Generic pointed out that Square with RK is a pain because you have to reauthorize the token from time to time. So I went with Stripe.
Thanks. I guess what I am wondering about Square is what is the rate when a charge is made directly through RK? This would not be a tap, dip, or swipe through one of their readers but something keyed into the RK software.
As another data point for folks, I am currently using InnPayments (Yapstone) which just raised its rates to 2.9% but no transaction fee.

Generic said:
JerseyBoy said:
Thanks. I guess what I am wondering about Square is what is the rate when a charge is made directly through RK? This would not be a tap, dip, or swipe through one of their readers but something keyed into the RK software.
As another data point for folks, I am currently using InnPayments (Yapstone) which just raised its rates to 2.9% but no transaction fee.
Did you try asking this on the rk forum? Might be easier to get the right combo of square + rk. I'd be interested to know the answer.
I do all the processing manually now, but always thinking about automating deposits.

Generic said:
JerseyBoy said:
Did you try asking this on the rk forum? Might be easier to get the right combo of square + rk. I'd be interested to know the answer.
I do all the processing manually now, but always thinking about automating deposits.
You can send the guest an invoice and THEY input the credit card number. That processes like a card present. Square sends the day's charges as one deposit - so it is one transaction, not 10 with the bank.

Generic said:
JerseyBoy said:
Thanks. I will do that.

Generic said:
JerseyBoy said:
Mort said: Did you try asking this on the rk forum? Might be easier to get the right combo of square + rk. I'd be interested to know the answer.
Had a thought, could you have the rez generate a Square invoice filling in the blanks from the reservation like (guest name) for the guest to enter cc# ?

Generic said:
JerseyBoy said:
You can send the guest an invoice and THEY input the credit card number. That processes like a card present. Square sends the day's charges as one deposit - so it is one transaction, not 10 with the bank.
Are you sending the invoice from Square or from ResKey (using the payment due link).

Generic said:
JerseyBoy said:
Are you sending the invoice from Square or from ResKey (using the payment due link).
I sent it from Square. And 3.09% still beat the 3.75% manual entry fee. The Square fees are lovely compared to what the proccessor was charging me with no way to know for sure it was correct. Some of THEIR fees were close to 5% and I had no way to know which cards were the higher fees. The processor tagged almost every card as non-qual and when I asked what that was , they said extra processing as in manual entry (I swiped them) and/or third party card (like Sierra Club or some special interest card) and corporate cards had higher fees. With Square I even take AMEX - they are all the same rate.

Generic said:
JerseyBoy said:
I sent it from Square. And 3.09% still beat the 3.75% manual entry fee. The Square fees are lovely compared to what the proccessor was charging me with no way to know for sure it was correct. Some of THEIR fees were close to 5% and I had no way to know which cards were the higher fees. The processor tagged almost every card as non-qual and when I asked what that was , they said extra processing as in manual entry (I swiped them) and/or third party card (like Sierra Club or some special interest card) and corporate cards had higher fees. With Square I even take AMEX - they are all the same rate.
Why don't you set up square payment and just sent a link to ReservationKey? You have to renew Square every 30 days or so, but it takes the payment.

Back