Cereal Dispenser & Keurig Reusable Containers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
4710.gif

Recently I hit my limit with the cereal problem. We don't really "sell" a lot of cereal. But it needs to be there, nonetheless for those who do want it. We were using some plastic containers for the cereal, but the extra grain and sugar collect at the bottom and I wasn't happy about it. Space, of course, is limited, so I went online looking for a solution and I found these... and well, I bought two. It's all plastic. The paddle inside is actually flexible rubber, so that it doesn't crush the cereal. Well, they have them on clearance, so I thought that I would mention it, in case others were interested. See http://www.buyrosseto.com/1-ez-serv-100-cereal-dispenser-blowout/ in white, red or black.
We also recently tried the new Ekobrew reusable containers for the Keurig. We were using the Solofill, which apparently now comes in red, green and black. But we saw the ecobrew and decided to try them. They come in brown or green and sit better on the table, since they have a flat end, but take a little more of a maneuver to get them in the machine, since they have to be slipped in to the machine in a specific way to line up with the needles. The one other advantage is that they also sell the new Ekojava line of single serve coffee. Basically little packets that you open into the ecobrew. Not as neat as the Keurig.... but a heck of a lot cheaper and more sustainable.

I should take a picture of my cereal bar. We talked about the dispensers but didn't know what cereals would be wanted so we got the 'flavor pack'. Mostly sugar cereal, but there were a few good ones. Now we just order those by the case in the single serve box. We don't have any counter space, but we have shelf space so those work best for us.
But, cereal is a big seller here. If not the kids, then a lot of adults want to start off whatever heart attack on a plate we're gonna serve with a bowl of Raisin Bran or Mini Wheats.

I tried the dispenser thing, not the same one you have but a similar one. It went all over and on top of which I ended up throwing away after a couple of months
I went back to the individual small boxes from Sam's Club or Walmart. More choices, less waste longer shelf life.

I should take a picture of my cereal bar. We talked about the dispensers but didn't know what cereals would be wanted so we got the 'flavor pack'. Mostly sugar cereal, but there were a few good ones. Now we just order those by the case in the single serve box. We don't have any counter space, but we have shelf space so those work best for us.
But, cereal is a big seller here. If not the kids, then a lot of adults want to start off whatever heart attack on a plate we're gonna serve with a bowl of Raisin Bran or Mini Wheats..
Very little in sugar cereal "sell" around here. And I get weird looks sometimes when I put out Shreddies. I sometimes have cereal for breakfast just to get more churn out of the boxes. I think Raisin Bran is likely the favourite.

Cornnuts for breakfast, now that's what I'm talkin' bout!
teeth_smile.gif
But not a comment on the wasabi peas? Pray for whirled peas!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I could only be funny on one of them.
tounge_smile.gif

Corn Nuts are something I grew up snacking on in CALF, it's what we used to munch on road trips, they are not in the east here, very hard to find, so I have relatives who come to visit bring them out to me and I covet them. No, not the flavored ones, blech, just the plain ol' corn.
Now the peas...my mother is anti-pea-ite and so you can guess my life with peas, she has been given every pea joke, card, item and in fact there is even a pea salute to her when we eat peas, oo-rah!

If this were me, I would fill 'em up with homemade granola/muesli. Making it bulk it better bang for your buck anyway. Seeing it is what I think is cook with this dispenser! I would love to have that if I stayed with you. Storebough cereal is, storebought cereal.

If this were me, I would fill 'em up with homemade granola/muesli. Making it bulk it better bang for your buck anyway. Seeing it is what I think is cook with this dispenser! I would love to have that if I stayed with you. Storebough cereal is, storebought cereal..
I think the homemade granola is a great idea. I will have it in a mason jar with a wire bale snap closer. (Will have it because I haven't made it yet. Need to get to the store for supplies for gluten free ingredients.)

Cornnuts for breakfast, now that's what I'm talkin' bout!
teeth_smile.gif
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Thought they were dried peas. Didn't realize the other things were corn nuts, either. Long day. Not paying attention.
As a friend's mother used to say instead of grace, 'Lettuce turnip and pea.' (You have to say it out loud, reading it doesn't give you the full flavor.)

If this were me, I would fill 'em up with homemade granola/muesli. Making it bulk it better bang for your buck anyway. Seeing it is what I think is cook with this dispenser! I would love to have that if I stayed with you. Storebough cereal is, storebought cereal..
It's very expensive to make meusli/granola around here. Do you have a recipe that turns out to be inexpensive, without having to buy ingredients in 20 kg bags?

I think the homemade granola is a great idea. I will have it in a mason jar with a wire bale snap closer. (Will have it because I haven't made it yet. Need to get to the store for supplies for gluten free ingredients.)
Madeleine said:
I will have it in a mason jar
I knew you would eventually come over the woods...
confused_smile.gif

It's very expensive to make meusli/granola around here. Do you have a recipe that turns out to be inexpensive, without having to buy ingredients in 20 kg bags?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
44 lbs??? Why would you buy anything in that kind of bulk? I can get 1 lb bags of various ingredients (Bob's Red Mill) for about $2.49-4.99/bag. Small batches. It's not like guests are going to clean it out everyday. Maybe a couple of guests/month will have a bowl of granola. Or I will use it in fruit cups. Over time it is a lot less than paying $9.50/lb for grocery store granola. I can use whatever is hanging around the house that week. Raisins, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, whatever.
Here's just one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/light-fruit-and-nut-granola/detail.aspx

Eric Arthur Blair said:
And one right here on the forum: https://www.innspiring.com/recipe/breakfast/homemade-granola

Eric Arthur Blair said:
And one right here on the forum: https://www.innspiring.com/recipe/breakfast/homemade-granola
muirford said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I can personally recommend this recipe, and like mentioned "If we see it we will want it!" When I saw this I had to try it and it was awesome!
I used to make mine with scraps of coconut, what do you call those? Long shaved pieces? Forgot the terminology, but they toast up nice in the oven and they can be another light "natural sweetener" to the muesli. *unless you don't like coconut.
wink_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
44 lbs??? Why would you buy anything in that kind of bulk? I can get 1 lb bags of various ingredients (Bob's Red Mill) for about $2.49-4.99/bag. Small batches. It's not like guests are going to clean it out everyday. Maybe a couple of guests/month will have a bowl of granola. Or I will use it in fruit cups. Over time it is a lot less than paying $9.50/lb for grocery store granola. I can use whatever is hanging around the house that week. Raisins, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, whatever.
Here's just one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/light-fruit-and-nut-granola/detail.aspx
Because that's the real size of "bulk" products and small amounts often cost quite a bit more around here. The cost of these items are just very high around here. Oatmeal (non-organic) is $4.29 per 336 grams at the supermarket and almonds (non-organic) are $4.49 per 250 grams. The bigger the package, the cheaper they are.
Nature's Path Organic at the supermarket, not on sale is $4.69 per 325 grams ($1.44 per 100 grams or $6.58 per pound.) See http://magasin.iga.net/Default.aspx if you want an idea of what prices are like at the supermarket around here.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Because that's the real size of "bulk" products and small amounts often cost quite a bit more around here. The cost of these items are just very high around here. Oatmeal (non-organic) is $4.29 per 336 grams at the supermarket and almonds (non-organic) are $4.49 per 250 grams. The bigger the package, the cheaper they are.
Nature's Path Organic at the supermarket, not on sale is $4.69 per 325 grams ($1.44 per 100 grams or $6.58 per pound.) See http://magasin.iga.net/Default.aspx if you want an idea of what prices are like at the supermarket around here.

Joey Bloggs said:
If this were me, I would fill 'em up with homemade granola/muesli. Making it bulk it better bang for your buck anyway. Seeing it is what I think is cook with this dispenser! I would love to have that if I stayed with you. Storebough cereal is, storebought cereal.
Muesli maybe, granola no. Anything slightly sticky like granola or sugar pops get stuck in these dispensers

Eric Arthur Blair said:
muirford said:
What is the temp for the oven?

Back